Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(empty)

The full extent of Empty's mapping abilities.

(Download Link)
Done in a couple days worth of on-and-off messing around with DB2.

It's terribly short and didn't really turn out how I wanted it to, but it's my first completed map, so I guess that's something.

Planned it as part of a set of short levels, but that's probably not gonna happen.

for being new to mapping I must say thats a pretty nice map you got there. I would suggest not making rooms so bright and try putting more light sources if you intend to make places bright.

Your right that map is extremely short, but imo because of how short it was you could of definitely made a few more maps to go along with it.

You definitely used more detail in your map that 99% of the new mappers these days do. I look forward to seeing you map more and refining your skill at mapping even further.

As far as first maps go...

At least everything functioned....? But seriously, keep at it, every one has a first few maps that in time and retrospect, are complete shit. I would try participating in community projects to get the creative juices flowing. Keep on dooming! :)

There were, uh... quite a few odd design choices there.

If you want to know what they mean by door frames, I could help out.

Alwaysdoomed said:

for being new to mapping I must say thats a pretty nice map you got there. I would suggest not making rooms so bright and try putting more light sources if you intend to make places bright.

I thought the brightness was okay, but that's probably just me. Will keep that in mind.

Your right that map is extremely short, but imo because of how short it was you could of definitely made a few more maps to go along with it.

I really probably should've. I seem to blank on ideas at the worst possible times, though.

You definitely used more detail in your map that 99% of the new mappers these days do. I look forward to seeing you map more and refining your skill at mapping even further.

Thanks! I intend to.

dachauncinator said:

As far as first maps go...

At least everything functioned....? But seriously, keep at it, every one has a first few maps that in time and retrospect, are complete shit. I would try participating in community projects to get the creative juices flowing. Keep on dooming! :)

...Oh bugger that's right. I still haven't finished that Five Rooms of Doom entry I was supposed to have done months ago. Blargh.

GreyGhost said:

Someone should show you how to do door frames, so you can do away with those massive lintel blocks.

I had a feeling there was a better way of handling doors than what I was doing. Anyone care to explain a bit?

Also sorry it took so long for me to respond; I went to bed early last night, and I woke up a couple minutes ago.

All-in-all, I enjoyed it, and would play any other maps you released. Especially if they were little bite-sized romps like this one.

1. I like the secret. It shows a good sense of humour.
  2. This door texture needs to be shifted down about 8-16px, I think.
  3. Speaking of door textures, it's a minor quibble, but most mappers at this point add FLAT20 to the 'ceiling' of the door. You seem to have just gone with whatever texture was there when you made the sector.
  4. I like the chunk of meat, and partially hidden medikit evaded my view on my first run.
  5. No difficulty levels. It would've been nice to throw in a surprise at higher difficulties, or include an extra medikit somewhere on lower ones.
  6. Because it's so short, it's surprisingly fun to speedrun. I would like to see you continue making small-ish maps.
  7. I see you playing with different themes for each room, but the map is still pretty boxy. I wouldn't worry about this too much. At least your room are all unique, which is the most important thing.
  8. The central area is a little small, but I guess it serves its purpose.
  9. My UV-Max speedrun time was 0:47. See if you can beat it!

schwerpunk said:

My UV-Max speedrun time was 0:47. See if you can beat it![/list=1]

I'm no speedrunner, but challenge accepted! Will edit this post later

EDIT: 0:41, 0:45, 0:42.

schwerpunk said:

All-in-all, I enjoyed it, and would play any other maps you released. Especially if they were little bite-sized romps like this one.

Thanks!

I like the secret. It shows a good sense of humour.

I thought it was a bit obvious, but it's good to hear you liked it.

This door texture needs to be shifted down about 8-16px, I think.

...Oh cripes you're right. How didn't I realize that?

Speaking of door textures, it's a minor quibble, but most mappers at this point add FLAT20 to the 'ceiling' of the door. You seem to have just gone with whatever texture was there when you made the sector.

Huh. I'm not one to usually notice that sort of thing, so I guess that's why I didn't think to use it. Will keep that in mind.

I like the chunk of meat, and partially hidden medikit evaded my view on my first run.

Thought the medikit was a bit obvious, but I wasn't sure how else to hide it. Good to know it worked regardless.

No difficulty levels. It would've been nice to throw in a surprise at higher difficulties, or include an extra medikit somewhere on lower ones.

The medikit probably would've been a good idea. Noted.

Because it's so short, it's surprisingly fun to speedrun. I would like to see you continue making small-ish maps.

Intend to put together an episode of sorts of quick little maps like this (albeit obviously higher quality) at some point.

I see you playing with different themes for each room, but the map is still pretty boxy. I wouldn't worry about this too much. At least your room are all unique, which is the most important thing.

Had a bit of trouble trying to make them not boxes without making the rooms look weird. Will try harder next time.

The central area is a little small, but I guess it serves its purpose.

It went through several different incarnations. Could never get it quite the size I wanted.

My UV-Max speedrun time was 0:47. See if you can beat it!

Oh wow. I should probably try that, actually...

Eris Falling said:

I'm no speedrunner, but challenge accepted! Will edit this post later

EDIT: 0:41, 0:45, 0:42.

*Grudgingly hands over first, second, and third-place medals.*

Any strategies you'd care to share? The Mancs were definitely the biggest time/ammo sink for me. I found that running into their room, getting a chaingun and circle-strafing them to death was the fasted approach.

Immediately run backwards into the secret. Clear the shotgunners in courtyard with pistol. Ignore the chainsaw room. use shotgun to clear out the silver room. Try last room with shotgun, multi-tasking with the front manc and the hitscanners, kill them from outside, using the walls for cover. When one is down, run next to the exit switch and use the chaingun to finish off the last manc. Exit.

Because you wanna spend as little time as possible dodging, it is quite dependent on pain chance I think

I was quite pleased with myself when I saw my time. I understand the appeal of speedrunning already :P

EDIT: I still see a red border on your avatar

Managed to somehow scrape out a 0:43 while still circlestrafing the mancs. Didn't think to screencap it since for some reason I thought I could do better.

Gonna try Eris' tactic and see how well I can get it to work.

Eris Falling said:

Immediately run backwards into the secret. Clear the shotgunners in courtyard with pistol. Ignore the chainsaw room. use shotgun to clear out the silver room. Try last room with shotgun, multi-tasking with the front manc and the hitscanners, kill them from outside, using the walls for cover. When one is down, run next to the exit switch and use the chaingun to finish off the last manc. Exit.

Because you wanna spend as little time as possible dodging, it is quite dependent on pain chance I think

I was quite pleased with myself when I saw my time. I understand the appeal of speedrunning already :P

The placement of the secret was the first thing that cued me to the fact that this would be a good map to speedrun.

Chaingun is definitely the way to go with the Mancs, as you say, because it increases the chances of triggering pain. I think I might try speedrunning is again using your tips. I definitely could shave some time off by dodging less. The fact that this is a very short map also makes failed runs a lot less painful.

Honestly, I haven't had this much fun with a small map in quite a bit.

Eris Falling said:

EDIT: I still see a red border on your avatar

You aren't going crazy - the border is intentional. I wanted to monochromize it as a reference to the Monochrome Project, but I kept the outline so that it would still 'pop' out visually. :]

I like the style of this map and I think it's fun to play if you're aggressive enough. Now try to make something a bit longer. :)

As for speedrunning, here is my modest attempt. And screencaps aren't very interesting to look at, post demos!

0:37 - Big thanks to one of the chaingunners who dealt with one Manc, while I took the other. Sorry I had to kill you buddy, but hey, it's a Max run :P

EDIT: @Memfis, this is probably a good time for me to put PrBoom+ on my USB.

Memfis said:

I like the style of this map and I think it's fun to play if you're aggressive enough. Now try to make something a bit longer. :)

As for speedrunning, here is my modest attempt. And screencaps aren't very interesting to look at, post demos!

Ooh a demo. I've never been entirely certain how to record those (which might not even be possible because GZDoom), but still. Will watch that in a bit.

EDIT: Good cripes man. And here I was impressed that I got a 0:40 run.

Memfis said:

Great run. I liked how you incited infighting before clearing the Sergeant room. What was your time on this run? The endscreen went by too quickly for me to see.

Recognizing that screenshots are boring, here's another one: 0:42. I can't seem to beat this time, although looking at Memfis' demo gives me some ideas for getting it down there... I'll post a demo if I manage to do something significant.

EDIT1: Holy shit, Eris. O_O
EDIT2: HOLY SHIT, Memfis! o_O;; (In response to below.)

schwerpunk said:

Great run. I liked how you incited infighting before clearing the Sergeant room. What was your time on this run? The endscreen went by too quickly for me to see.

0:27.

I'll do a PrBoom demo when I'm on my laptop and not this laggy piece of shit with a half-broken spacebar. (Seriously, firing the chaingun was lagging!)

So ZDoom again: 0:34
No infighting

EDIT: Haha Schwerpunk :P
EDIT: I actually wouldn't mind getting within the par time, even though it's not specifically for this map.

Found a little bug: If the green door closes behind you and you try to get back out, the door does that little stutter up/down thing. I think it happens because sector 29 (the lintel block above the green door) isn't actually connected to the door, so the ceilings on either side of this door aren't the same height.

Really, though, the map works even if it is a one-sided door that traps you in. But I could tell it was unintentional.

I'm attempting UV-Max pacifist run right now, lol - done with monster infighting, of course. It's proving to be interesting. I think it's got the right amount of monsters, though.

I think I'd share a few tips.

- for doors and other stuff, like computers in the south room, do something like that:

- You can change light level with Ctrl + scrolling, just like you can change floor/ceiling level with scrolling.

- Other 3d mode shortcuts include L and U for setting Lower and Upper unpegged flags (The latter can be used for the upper textures of windows, for example).

- While A aligns textures horisontally, Shift + A does this vertically.

- For door ceiling textures use FLAT20. For door or window frames, use DOORSTOP. SUPPORT textures are also good for this, as well as for bordering unfitting textures.

schwerpunk said:

Found a little bug: If the green door closes behind you and you try to get back out, the door does that little stutter up/down thing. I think it happens because sector 29 (the lintel block above the green door) isn't actually connected to the door, so the ceilings on either side of this door aren't the same height.

Really, though, the map works even if it is a one-sided door that traps you in. But I could tell it was unintentional.

Oh dear. Sorry about that.

I'm attempting UV-Max pacifist run right now, lol - done with monster infighting, of course. It's proving to be interesting. I think it's got the right amount of monsters, though.

That does sound interesting, not sure how you'll manage it.

Scypek2 said:

Lots of stuff.

Was already aware of the light level shortcut, but the rest is new to me. Thanks!