Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wraith777

Alpha Accident: Terra Nova - uploaded to idgames

What's odd is that this only happens after loading a savegame. Normally this should completely restore the game state so it's either wrong from the start or correct from the start.

EDIT: I think I found the reason. This setup actually requires the compat_spritesort flag and it may be that the loading of the savegame flips it. I never knew that PrBoom+ changed this behavior. Boom originally inverted the sprite sorting order, this is why this is an option in ZDoom.

I recommend to add the following as a ZMAPINFO lump, that will fix the problem:

defaultmap
{
	compat_spritesort
}

map E1M1 lookup "HUSTR_E1M1"
{
	levelnum = 1
	titlepatch = "WILV00"
	next = "E1M2"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 30
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M1"
}

map E1M2 lookup "HUSTR_E1M2"
{
	levelnum = 2
	titlepatch = "WILV01"
	next = "E1M3"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 75
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M2"
}

map E1M3 lookup "HUSTR_E1M3"
{
	levelnum = 3
	titlepatch = "WILV02"
	next = "E1M4"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 120
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M3"
}

map E1M4 lookup "HUSTR_E1M4"
{
	levelnum = 4
	titlepatch = "WILV03"
	next = "E1M5"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 90
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M4"
}

map E1M5 lookup "HUSTR_E1M5"
{
	levelnum = 5
	titlepatch = "WILV04"
	next = "E1M6"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 165
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M5"
}

map E1M6 lookup "HUSTR_E1M6"
{
	levelnum = 6
	titlepatch = "WILV05"
	next = "E1M7"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 180
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M6"
}

map E1M7 lookup "HUSTR_E1M7"
{
	levelnum = 7
	titlepatch = "WILV06"
	next = "E1M8"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 180
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M7"
}

map E1M8 lookup "HUSTR_E1M8"
{
	levelnum = 8
	titlepatch = "WILV07"
	next = "EndGame1"
	secretnext = "E1M9"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 30
	nointermission
	nosoundclipping
	baronspecial
	specialaction_lowerfloor
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M8"
}

map E1M9 lookup "HUSTR_E1M9"
{
	levelnum = 9
	titlepatch = "WILV08"
	next = "E1M4"
	secretnext = "E1M4"
	sky1 = "SKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 165
	music = "$MUSIC_E1M9"
}

There's something really odd going on here, I will have to do some checks. Please leave the ZMAPINFO lump in anyway, if I can find what's up it will be needed.

Ok, this should be fixed in the next devbuild. ZDoom did some bot-related optimizations for inventory stuff that whacked the order in which these things were processed. On previous maps I have only seen overlays of non-inventory items which were handled properly.

A gentle reminder to all mappers:

If you find such inconsistencies, please report them at the ZDoom bugs forum so that they can be investigated. Most of the time something can be done about it. This one I just spotted by random chance while reading the text file of the mod.

Graf Zahl said:

Ok, this should be fixed in the next devbuild. ZDoom did some bot-related optimizations for inventory stuff that whacked the order in which these things were processed. On previous maps I have only seen overlays of non-inventory items which were handled properly.

A gentle reminder to all mappers:

If you find such inconsistencies, please report them at the ZDoom bugs forum so that they can be investigated. Most of the time something can be done about it. This one I just spotted by random chance while reading the text file of the mod.

Ok, I'll keep ZMAPINFO in wad then. Quite a precedent, isn't it)?

I'll ask in ZDoom forum next time, but since you're here, can you check another thing?

I've discovered you can make apply various ghost effects to things in vanilla using negative values for width/height in dehacked. Monsters may become immune to specific attacks, gain noclip but still be shootable.

Two things in this wad actually use that trick, one with -width, another with -height. Both things work also in PrBoom, but ZDoom clearly ignores -height parameters (tried various compatibility mods).

Short Tech Pillar (replaces Dead Cacodemon) has -1000 height / 16 width. In vanilla it blocks player, can't be shot with hitscans and projectiles, immune to BFG-rays and only vulnerable to explosions. In ZDoom it's also immune to explosions and either blocks player or not (depending on compatibility settings).

This problem was solved with DECORATE, but maybe an option could be added to ZDoom to behave like vanilla in this case?

Don't forget to add a demo2, demo3 and demo4. If these lumps are missing, the game will load a level from another episode and crash because the dehacked patch changed things in the game.

I have only played e1m1 and e1m2. These are E1M1 and E1M2, continue to read for edits of other maps. I'm done playing through the mod.

Map issues:

WARNING, this is a secret:

Spoiler

On E1m1 there's some linedefs from a secret that appear on the automap. The entrance of that secret has hidden linedefs. I don't know if this is intentional.

On E1M2, there is a missing bottom texture at the north of the map where there is a lift with two imps. It's not really visible, but there is a difference of 8 units between the floors. It's going to be more visible if the player dies in front of it.

EDIT: more issues

Tutti-frutti on a texture (e1m3)

There are these kinds of doors on e1m3. They are 8 units above the floor, but when they close, they go down completely to the floor. If you want them to close and leave a gap of 8 units above the floor, you can use dummy sectors to achieve this.

EDIT: I completed E1M9

Tutti-frutti near the blue armor:

EDIT about the tutti-frutti bug: If you want to fix tutti-frutti errors without changed your map or your textures, you can change the PATCH (Not sure about the name...) lump. Doom repeats textures every 128 units. Texture with a height that's less than 128 pixels will cause tutti-frutti, by modifying the patch lump, you can make the texture higher so it won't cause this. I believe this texture is 64 units high, so it means you'd just have to double the height of the texture and add the same patch another time above the current texture patch. This can also be done for the tutti-frutti that I reported on E1M3. This texture is 112 units high, so you'd have to make it 128 units high and fill the 16 units gap with something (it can be the same texture patch). Once you're done editing the patches, you should check if it displays correctly in Vanilla Doom, because there are bugs with patches. (In Doom, walls are made of patches, but I'm sure you are already aware of that since you've made your own customized ones.)

EDIT: I completed E1M4

There are two drones stuck here. I'm playing on ultra-violence. There's a crusher sound and the sound of a door that opens plays constantly. Looks like the drones are supposed to come out of the walls, but the wall doesn't open.

EDIT: completed E1M5

Floor too low to go back:

Even if there is enough place for the player to walk there, it's not possible because of a bug. (http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Stairs_that_can_be_ascended,_but_not_descended)

Some 'things' are too close to pillars. When the floor moves, the 'thing' will float in the air. This occurred two times on this level.

On E1M5, the lift didn't work, I used the noclipping cheat to climb. I cleared the platform above and the other tunnel, came back to the lift and suddenly, it was working. Don't know if it's somewhat buggy or if it's just me.

EDIT: completed E1M6

A demon is stuck, he is not able to move:

Misaligned texture:

Items that fly above the ground:

Tutti-frutti:

A the end of this level, I was like "Really? I lost all my ammo... ". I didn't expect that.

EDIT: completed E1M7

Misaligned textures:
The darker one in the middle of this screenshot:

And here (the horizontal line on the gray wall on the left):

You can see the vines from the outside, but not from the inside. (The vine texture was applied only on one side. This is not really visible, but you can see it in the gap between the computer and the vines.)

A bad sector can cause a crash:

EDIT completed E1M8 (Done!)

The "window" texture is not impassable. When a monster dies, he can pass through it. (You may also check the other window if it's the same)

Well, Wraith777, I'm done playing. Thanks for this delightful episode, it was really fun.

Please read through all my previous post, I have made several edits for each maps. I have found a few issue.

You made a really good use of obstacles that must be destroyed in order to pass, it makes the environment much more interactive. Another good example is the breaker on E1M4 and other maps. That was really nice.

There's one map with the blue armor and the soulsphere secrets. They were very well done.

The architecture and design is very good, the reused graphics makes it look like an alpha version of Doom. The maps are so huge, I got "time sucks" on the last half of them.

The floating drone was introduced in an ambush, that was very good also. These ambushes of drones got me killed multiple times. The final bosses were something that I really liked, they were hard to kill and had several properties that are not found on other Doom monster. I've never seen such a great vanilla-Doom mod before.

So, will there be a next episode?

axdoom1, thank you for playing and such a detailed bug report).

Fixed those bugs, also replaced all 4 demos - now you all can see what a noob I actually am (well, I just find it much more challenging to play dos shooters with arrow keys instead of wsad+mouse).

axdoom1 said:

So, will there be a next episode?

Probably yes, I just need to find some time for mapping now (as well as even just playing other wads), because I have now a full time job.

There are some new things saved for later episodes. I'd like to build them solely for a new boss fights in the end. Map would still be based on some kind of main feature but instead of overwhelming nonlinearity there should be more heavy fighting, map hazards and puzzles.

I think that new features like turrets, drones, voltage should be used wider in later maps (in E3, E2 is actually not a tech base episode).

I just submitted my review of this as well (for /newstuff). I had mixed feelings about the episode, but enjoyed it overall, especially the new content. I'll look forward to the other episodes!