Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

What phone are you using?

Nokia 5230. Have it for three years, but still cannot use most of its functions, since I rarely use it for anything else than calling.

I have a neat phone where I can enter my friend's long password and get a direct voice connection to him via the telecommunications grid.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

I bet most doomers are using smartphones now.

Pffft. Hell no. Why would I? The only functions that I need on a mobile phone are the ability to talk vocally and the ability to send SMS text messages. That's it.
For watching videos and all the other jazz I prefer to sit down at a desk and look at a large screen instead of squinting at a tiny screen while standing on a crowded bus.
Therefore, the phone I use is a 1999 model of Nokia.

baronofheck82 said:

I don't have a phone. Yeah, I know, I'm weird.

Well, I didn't have a personal mobile one until last year. So we're almost in the same boat. :)

I mostly prefer not having a smart phone. I would only have a use for it when I go out, and I like going out without electronic distractions. Instead, I can take walks and enjoy the scenery, or ride the bus and take in the sights.

Hellbent said:

iPhone 4S -- great little gadget when it's not swimming in the toilet

I see you upgraded your fishing habits.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro. It's 2-3 years old now and no longer functions as an actual phone. Specifically, the ear piece for normal phone conversations doesn't work any more and now, if I want to have a phone call, it has to go on loud speaker. Touchscreen seems to be losing receptiveness a little now too.

I reckon this is down to similar reasons that Springy mentioned, although I'm a model before his I think. It's been alright, but low battery life, lowering functionality and severe performance degradation with texts and stuff stacking up or even simply not having been restarted in a while is annoying, as is being unable to sign up to the android market thing (I don't know why my phone has this limitation, but it does...)

I'll be looking to buy a new unlocked handset in the very near future as a working phone is probably pretty important in a job hunt.

Eris Falling said:

You're not the only one.

To be fair, you're only 15 (not in an insulting manner) and probably don't have a well-paying-enough job to pay it off monthly. Then again, my plan's roughly $20~ CAD a month for unlimited text, 70 min call and 1GB data for emergencies or absolute boredom.

No phone.

I'm lucky in that, in contrast to my more professional friends, it's not necessary for me, in my line of work, to have one, and I make any social arrangements that I want to make over email or skype.

It kinda pisses my partner off, but oh well.

BloodyAcid said:

To be fair, you're only 15 (not in an insulting manner) and probably don't have a well-paying-enough job to pay it off monthly. Then again, my plan's roughly $20~ CAD a month for unlimited text, 70 min call and 1GB data for emergencies or absolute boredom.

This isn't the reason, although that does make sense. I'm surrounded by people with them, but I just don't see the point - specifically, using them to that extent.

I used to have a very crappy old one a few years ago, for emergency purposes, not that it was ever needed IIRC (oh and it was my Mum's old phone too). Then the screen broke and I never gave phone's a second thought.

Oh and, what's a job?

I'm using a gigantic Samsung Galaxy variant with cyanogenmod, and I have a spare HTC Aria lying around too. Big and little.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 (aka Galaxy Wi-fi) with Google Voice. I don't get calls or texts often enough to make cell service worth the money and I'm connected to a Wi-fi access point most of the time any ways.

On a side note, it's a shame the manufactures don't seem to interested in making a great Android PMP. I guess not servicing a Nexus is only a little more expensive than a PMP, so they have to cut costs somewhere.

My first phone was a $20 Trac Phone. Now, I have a cheap Samsung that sits, unused, in the glove compartment of my car.

Motorola KRZR K1, my first phone that i bought 6 or 7 years ago. Everyone was obsessed with Nokia back then, in my country at least, but Nokias looked like gray bricks. So i decided to buy meself a pretty looking phone that was rare in my country. It was a good choice, tho Motorolas were a bit slow back then.

Now i can't buy a new phone, because i don't like these black bricks that all companies produce now. My dream is an Android flipper.

Harmata said:

My dream is an Android flipper.

I don't know why flip phones ever went out of fashion. It was simply impossible to accidentally use your phone when it's in your pocket, without having to put an annoying lock on it.

DoomUK said:

I don't know why flip phones ever went out of fashion. It was simply impossible to accidentally use your phone when it's in your pocket, without having to put an annoying lock on it.

Whoa.

chopkinsca said:

I mostly prefer not having a smart phone. I would only have a use for it when I go out, and I like going out without electronic distractions. Instead, I can take walks and enjoy the scenery, or ride the bus and take in the sights.

You know what's crazy? Owning a smart phone doesn't automatically prevent one from doing those very things! Amazing isn't it? With a smart phone, I can do the above AND so much more! Isn't it great to be sarcastic and contrarian to be cool? I mean there cannot be any reason why one might need to carry around such a device for work or other purposes. Surely anyone who gets one must be someone who hates nature and people!

Oh and I have a Galaxy Note II. I didn't want to have to buy a phone for a while. I don't need to really own a tablet or most other electronics with a device like this.

DoomUK said:

Because flip phones look ridiculous, shaped C like those old telephone receivers.

Shaikoten said:

Whoa.

printz said:

Because flip phones look ridiculous, shaped C like those old telephone receivers.

I envisaged something more like this. Minus the second screen which seems a bit superfluous.

Y'know, even that model ain't that safe for accidental usage. Especially, when you can get some cool pictures of your pocket/bag/wherever you keep it. ;)