Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Youtube to experiment with pay for subscriptions

Gez said:

Why do you think Google developed its own browser? Adblock on Chrome differs from Adblock on Firefox.

But yet still provides all the things I loved about Adblock on Waterfox, such as abolishing all YouTube ads?

When I first heard of this, I was shocked to hear such a thing. This is a really fucked up idea and whoever thought of this needs to be fired. I hope it fails so bad that Google will have to stop with paid subscriptions.

Also, check out this video that makes a lot of good points:

This could be very expensive, even at a 1-5 dollars per channel. I would much rather pay a lump sum for no ads, and maybe they could direct some of that cash to the channels I am subscribed to instead of them generating income off of ad revenue by-view.

Technician said:

This could be very expensive, even at a 1-5 dollars per channel. I would much rather pay a lump sum for no ads, and maybe they could direct some of that cash to the channels I am subscribed to instead of them generating income off of ad revenue by-view.

You mean like Twitch Turbo? ;) Yeah, it's a fairly likely option eventually.

For those who don't know, on Twitch as a viewer you have three options on free channels (there's also locked channels which you have to subscribe to to view them, but that's a separate case): Watch ads, subscribe to channel for no ads (about 50% of money goes to the channel), or get Twitch Turbo, which removes all ads from all channels, but gives channels around as much as they'd get from ad impressions (still much less than what they'd get from a subscription).

People don't pay subscribtion fees to channels on Twitch cause they want to be rid of the ads though. They do it cause they want to support the person they sub to.

Sure, but it's an option and a business model nonetheless. Of course, Twitch also has some other optional incentives the channels can choose to use like subscriber-only chat, but that's besides the point.

There were only around 4 or 5 channels truly worth subscribing to anyways, back when I had an account on there for 3 whole years. Truth is that I was already planning to delete around 75% of my subscriptions before they dropped the bomb on me completely.
The majority of the stuff uploaded is such silly garbage... I mean, who the heck would want to watch a video of some themesong looping for an entire half-hour with a still image in the background?
I'd rather use my special tool to rip a standard-length mp3 from a 5-minute video and then loop it myself according to my own standards by using another handy tool if I truly feel like looping it. That makes so much more sense to me.

So I said it before and I'll say it again... Rot In Pieces, Youtube!

I'd pay for a subscription to a youtube channel analogous to a television channel. For example if Comedy Central or AMC had a "channel" on youtube which I can watch their programming there rather than on the television, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Main reason I refuse to pay for cable is because I'm not paying for 400 channels I'm never going to watch. I'd gladly pay for only the 3 or 4 that I actually would watch regularly.

I'm partnered with YouTube through my channel, and even I think this is a stupid idea.

Most of us work through networks, our money doesn't even really come from ads. Companies like Machinima, BBTV, shit like that, and basically you can earn a regular salary (if you want to call it that). If YouTube continues this people like myself and MANY others are just going to bail. I barely make anything worth mentioning, but some people actually make their living this way...and forcing people to pay for a person who is already getting paid to do hardly any real work in 80% of the cases on there is just going to piss users off more than they have been lately.

The layout change was fucking retarded, the fact they continue to change how videos are uploaded and even simple functions like commenting almost every 10 seconds is retarded, and the fact the site drifted so far from what it was originally intended to be was just...fucking sad. I started going on there in like 2006, I feel like a YT oldfag. Now the site is full of nothing but pretentious assholes who were paid to look like they know how to make videos, as opposed to the somewhat pretentious assholes that actually learned how to do videos and such on their own and developed their own style and such. Honestly, I shouldn't really being saying this, because of contractual shit or whatever but a huge percentage of anyone that gets popular on there was more or less just paid to be a pretty face pretending that its their original content, and its "not" being produced for them by an outside company.

It's things that like that which have been accumulating since around 2008 that have killed the site, and whatever its original mission was. I knew the google buyout was going to change things, but it ended up ruining so much.

StevieCybernetik said:

The layout change was fucking retarded

Like having to click "load more" 87 times in a channel instead of going directly to page 87? Slashdot did the same thing with their comments when they went to shit.

StevieCybernetik said:

a huge percentage of anyone that gets popular on there was more or less just paid to be a pretty face pretending that its their original content, and its "not" being produced for them by an outside company.

Like "Know Your Meme"?

gggmork said:

Like having to click "load more" 87 times in a channel instead of going directly to page 87?

^Now that was actually somewhat of a positive change, in a way. It serves as a deterrent for those people who enjoy to cram the comments section with never-ending arguments and debates which eventually end up drifting away from constructive criticism and away from the actual topics of the videos. Such derailing quarrelling could really annoy the uploaders of the videos.
So this particular change actually saves the uploaders from receiving piles and piles of spam.
While all the other changes are truly unwarranted and detrimental.