Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doom screenshot converted to hi-res

It's technically an impressive video, but the final image isn't very good looking. It sort of reminds me of HD Doom projects.

kristus said:

It's technically an impressive video, but the final image isn't very good looking. It sort of reminds me of HD Doom projects.

So that's what my project looks like to other people. Doh!

Amazing picture! The only thing that puts me off is the way he made the doomguy's hair. Other than that, It's fucking brilliant!

Mh. Once you've played with fast monsters it's hard to go back to normal ones, where in comparison it feels like imps are tossing half-deflated party balloons at you.

And yeah, fast (Pinky) Demons are actually terrifying. Suddenly, you can't just run around their faces to psych them into biting you anymore.

kristus said:

You just had to be that guy, didn't you? :)

i am not necessarily disagreeing with kristus but i would like to hear his elaboration on why he dislikes it

I almost agree with Kristus.

I absolutely loved watching the video. Especially because I work with photoshop for a living on a daily basis and there was one or two things in there that had me scratching my head in confusion. But the end result isn't anywhere near as cool as the process it took to make it. The fact that it is Doom related is great too. It has an airbrushed quality to it that reminds me of trapper keeper though.

Although, if I were to give any real constructive criticism it would look a lot more positive than this. If my wife were to give me a lunch box with that image on it I would be the happiest man in the world.

Tango said:

i am not necessarily disagreeing with kristus but i would like to hear his elaboration on why he dislikes it

"Being kristus" isn't enough of a reason to dislike stuff now? :P

As others have said, I actually really like it, aside from the Doomguy's face. Certainly the best attempt at making the him look more human (that I know of) but there's still room for improvement.

I bet there's someone out there who naturally happens to look just like him. Once we find him, we can digitize his face and have a permenant "correct" HD Doom Guy. Until then, CurlyBrownHair McGee up there is the closest I've seen.

Overall, a very cool picture/video.

The end product does retain the feel of a screen shot, so it's not that pretty. For DOOM fan art, I prefer grittier work. But as an artistic analogy of DOOM modding and game history, it's neat. I mean, as a process, it makes me think of things like remakes and speed mapping.

Tango said:

Some of it has to do with the basic qualities of Doom's design not transforming well to a nitty gritty realistic world representation. It just looks fake, like the patch work it is. It doesn't really hold together. The demon itself is particularly absurd looking, and not in a good way. Someone mentioned his arm I believe, which just looks like a stuffed sausage. Though things like that can be improved, so I'm not saying it's not possible. But as you build up detail in resources like texture and character, also the world will require more intricacy to go together with these new resources.

But also part of it is because of the artistic missteps in the piece. Like the lighting being pretty weak quality. He floods the scene with lightning even though he hints at it being a dark area. You see dark corners. But even though there are no less than four light sources in the actual picture, he still adds a fifth behind the player's shoulder. This light source is completely redundant and all it serves to do is flood the scene with light that makes it lose all depth.

As an artist, you should "never" opt for soft light unless there's a reason for this in the scene. Light together with lines is what you use to create depth in a 2d image. But in this case, there's really not much of either. Yougot a simple 1 point perspective with really no overlapping lines to speak of and on top, flooded light which makes all objects look more cut and paste into the scene than they need to do. If he felt the light sources he had were positioned in a way that didn't help the scene, he should have picked another screenshot to base it off of, or moved the light sources.

I'd like to see what he'd be able to do without all those pre-made textures of metal, rock, rhinos and other decals he just copy-pasted with corrected perspective. When you realize that most of that detail wasn't actually drawn by the 'artist' in any way and was just copied from existing images, such pictures always end up looking way less impressive and kind of silly.

NiuHaka said:

Although, if I were to give any real constructive criticism it would look a lot more positive than this. If my wife were to give me a lunch box with that image on it I would be the happiest man in the world.

I'm guessing your wife doesn't read these forums. Drop the hint TO her, dude. :)

To me it looks like a cross between an airbrush and the dancing Coke can plugin for Winamp back in the day. I think it's very skilled work, but its very stylized in a way that just isn't my thing.

myk said:

The end product does retain the feel of a screen shot, so it's not that pretty. For DOOM fan art, I prefer grittier work. But as an artistic analogy of DOOM modding and game history, it's neat. I mean, as a process, it makes me think of things like remakes and speed mapping.

Speed mapping? Why?

qoncept said:

I'm guessing your wife doesn't read these forums. Drop the hint TO her, dude. :)

Good point. Now for the difficult decision. Lunch box or trapper-keeper?

NiuHaka said:

Good point. Now for the difficult decision. Lunch box or trapper-keeper?

Be careful, though. My wife got jealous of Doom and left. Only kind of joking.

You think doomguy (who uses lame hair styling products apparently) is looking left toward the barrel, right? But actually the camera is in his head and he's looking right. So he's just staring at the right wall.

You should be able to make a smooth animation going from high res to low res, simply by (assuming the hi res is a power of 2 wider/taller):
frame 1 is hi res pic
frame 2 is frame 1 scaled 50%
frame 3 is frame 2 scaled 50%
etc
(but then rescale each to match size of first frame, so later frames would be gradually more "pixel blocky"). If its a smooth enough transition, maybe put the original screenshot as last frame.
But that gif would take forever to load and probably not be all that interesting looking (stuff would just get blockier).

The barrels in the 'screenshot'... flipped sprites? What is this sorcery?

Fake and gay.

Seriously though, the end result is alright, but as has been noted already it just looks 'overdone' with all that lighting and detail nonsense. And yes, I agree 100% that the Demon's arm "looks like a stuffed sausage".

He's also managed to give the damn thing the legs of a rhino.