• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Norway has a King

Hellbent said:

what other countries still have kings?

Let me ask the Internet.

"There are 44 monarchies in the world, totaling 544 million people, about US$ 10 trillion in GDP at a purchasing power parity basis, and 10,261,417 square miles (26,576,950 km2) of land area."

Of course, a number of them have queens rather than kings, so if you want to gender-discriminate your question, it'll be less than 44. And also also, there are some nominal monarchies that probably don't consider themselves as such. For example, most Canadians and Australians probably don't think of themselves as living in a monarchy; despite being subjects of Elizabeth II.

Gez said:

For example, most Canadians and Australians probably don't think of themselves as living in a monarchy; despite being subjects of Elizabeth II.

Neither do many most British people.

So I thought Liechtenstein still have a king. Hans-Adam II is known as the prince? Why is the royalty only known as the Prince? For people who never heard of Liechtenstein, it's the smallest country(Famous for stamps) in Europe, it's between Switzerland and Austria, I went there before.

So what about United Kingdom? What if Prince Charles(The Prince of Wales) never be the king because he's too old?

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

What if Prince Charles(The Prince of Wales) never be the king because he's too old?

If he dies before Elizabeth II does, then the throne goes to Bill.

Hellbent said:

what other countries still have kings?

Just kings, or queens as well?

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

So what about United Kingdom? What if Prince Charles(The Prince of Wales) never be the king because he's too old?

There's no such thing as "too old to be king" but if he dies before ascending to the throne, his son, Prince William, will become king. The full list is here.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Why is the royalty only known as the Prince?

In Liechtenstein's case, it'd be because it's a very small country, basically nothing more than a single city. You need a certain size to be a kingdom, large enough that there is a need to delegate oversight of parts of it to vassals. That's why city-states like Liechtenstein or Monaco are principalities. Luxembourg is another example, but there the monarch isn't even a Prince, but a Grand Duke.

And, of course, there's the Vatican, where the prince is the Pope.

Even funnier is Andorra, which has not one prince but two Co-Princes, defined not by heredity like most monarchies, but by external charges: one of the co-princes is the Bishop of Urgell (a tiny part of Spain), the other being the President of the French Republic.

fraggle said:

Just kings, or queens as well?

Sure, queens as well.

DoomUK said:

What does that (admittedly extraordinary) tunnel in Norway have to do with it's monarchy?

As you can see, I was on weather.com and was suckered by this photo and the first tunnel of the top 20 in the world was the one in Norway. As you can see, the description mentioned a king. And I was like, isn't that so 17th century? And so...

Maes said:

Hellbent posted a thread.

Doh! [facepalm]

Once there's a line where a thousand people patiently wait their turn for a stab at the succession, all the fun is gone. Back in the day they fought wars over it and said to hell with primogeniture ;)