Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Springy

Naming conventions discussion [split from Misc.demos]

Stomper Unfinished by NMN Paul: Map 01, UV Speed, complevel 9 in 0:18. I used ZDL to try this so hopefully it works (played back in ZDL for me). I am a bit disappointed with this as I think I could've done better personally. EDIT: Hopefully, this demo works for you guys without ZDL (I don't know if because I used ZDL it will require ZDL to view but I used the command line of ZDL) but I used ZDL to aid with recording (as Grazza stated that a launcher could work) I have a UV pacifist done as well will upload that tomorrow.

su01-uvs.zip

Sorry about the double post but here's the pacifist run and the improved tyson run for Stomper Unfinished. Times are: 0:19 for pacifist and 1:03 for the tyson.
EDIT: Damn, can't upload two. Will put the tyson up at some point.

su01-uvp.zip

UV Tyson for map01 of Stomper 1:03, Complevel 9. Here's a download link for those who want to give it a spin (I forgot to include one last time). Also, the haze prototype I spoke of before is on there. http://paul.drdteam.org/news.php?page=games EDIT: I always assumed that Tyson was just max with only using fist, berserk, chainsaw or pistol, so thanks to Grazza for pointing out that it's just 100% kills.

su01-uvt.zip

Nice one and welcome to the demos forum btw. :) One problem: "su" is reserved for Sunder so it's better to pick something different. Let's see, "st" is Strain so that wouldn't work either... "sm" is Scimitar... Argh, tricky situation, how about "sr"?

Also I think that this wad deserves a separate thread because these maps are just fantastic and I personally plan to make quite a few demos for them. :)

Memfis said:

Nice one and welcome to the demos forum btw. :) One problem: "su" is reserved for Sunder so it's better to pick something different. Let's see, "st" is Strain so that wouldn't work either... "sm" is Scimitar... Argh, tricky situation, how about "sr"?

Also I think that this wad deserves a separate thread because these maps are just fantastic and I personally plan to make quite a few demos for them. :)

Thank you for the welcome :) I've wanted to get into demo recording for a fair bit of time now but only managed to get it the other day. Oh damn, I forgot about Sunder, I think I'll try and learn the correct demo names for each wad before naming in the future (I may attempt a Sunder demo at some point, particularly Hive Mother). I think sr might be good name for it or R1. I was going to create a whole demo pack at some point as these maps are simply gorgeous. I definitely agree about the demo thread. I was thinking of making one but didn't think people would agree.

sr is already taken by surge. :) our options are limited, so colliding with a different wad is not a big deal, maybe unless it is a major megawad. both sr and st would be fine (st is actually scythe tyson, too!)... or maybe you could cheat a little and call it 5u. so leet.

With these 'traditions' and whatnot, you'd eventually run out of unused letter combinations sooner or later.

Exactly, just use the wad's filename. Y2K is long over and no demos with filenames longer than 8 characters have exploded people's computers... yet. :))))

vanilla still doesn't let you to play 8+ letter demos though, but feel free to name demos for zdoom wads however you like. running out of combinations is not such a big deal, because it's quite okay to repeat them if you're cornered. in this day and age we have the pr+ footer to do the heavy lifting for us so we don't have to cram all the information into the name. that may look progressive compared to the '93 standard, but it looks woefully '03 compared to our '13 times. :P

Well, I like the 8 character limit because it makes for consistency, so when you download a bunch of demos your folder looks like

rq02-456
rq21-753
rq22p850
instead of
requiem-02-456-max-TimeOfDeath-cl2-prplus2501
requiem-21-cl2-uvmax-753-ggg
popi9
which is convenient.
Of course we all could agree on some universal naming format like FILENAME_MAP_CATEGORY_TIME_AUTHOR_PORT_COMPATIBILITY, but that would look ugly imo. 8 characters is usually enough to fit in the most important information: abbreviation for the wad, map, category and time. For other info there are textfiles. :)

to drive memfis' point home, here's a random picture of one of my megawad folders: http://i.imgur.com/iHHCeic.png

the beaten times are in the "obs" folder following the same pattern. everything is neat and easy to find. i have to rename the archive names of whatever your sick minds produce, heh... and so does andy o. at DSDA if you care to check back. using e.g. "sod01-uv" is actually the worst, because the archive names will collide sooner or later, but i'm not in favour of summing up your CV into the filename either.

i personally make an exception out of the 8-char rule and those are 10min+ times. it may be hurting my oldschool cred, but i do it for the exact same reason - it's tidier to navigate, heh.

But the point that it will once be useless due to clashings of letters still stands. ;)