Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DELETE-THIS-ACCOUNT

UGO, 1UP, Gamespy to shut down

So this happened: http://kotaku.com/5986027/ziff-davis-shuts-1up-gamespy-and-ugo

Layoffs have struck the popular editorial outlet IGN, and it sounds as though subsidiary gaming sites 1UP, UGO and GameSpy are all being shut down.

Personally I don't give a fuck about 1UP closing, but it leaves questions for Gamespy's server browser, and Doomworld itself, which is under the UGO umbrella.

I was expecting this. Inevitable, really. Gamespy pretty much cut off all of it's fingers to save the hand, but failed to do that even.

This is the only Doom forum I enjoy posting on. I dislike the rest.

Technician said:

This is the only Doom forum I enjoy posting on. I dislike the rest.

It's not just the forum. Doomworld also hosts a bunch of other stuff, and possibly the most important of them being the idgames archive database. (The archive itself isn't hosted by Doomworld, of course, but most people use the Doomworld database interface to search for mods and to give download links to files that are on the archive. You're more likely to see this link than this one for example.)

Rumors of Doomworld's death are greatly exaggerated.

Atomic Gamer is an independent company that undertook a temporary affiliation with the UGO "network" back when it still existed. That agreement actually ended a long time ago. The icon has never been removed from Doomworld because Doomworld is fond of accumulating old crap like rocks accumulate moss, I guess.

UGO's been defunct for quite a while, reduced to a single non-descript and unimpressive gaming "news" page which regurgitates mainstream media content only, and the Wikipedia page about it trumpets the fact that it was apparently supposed to have been shut down already in the past and apparently survived just to keep ad traffic flowing.

I have a friend that abused the heck out of gamespy servers. Put tons of music on there. Never got busted until they moved the server over a few years ago.

The logo was removed within the last six hours. It was here when I first looked at this thread before going out for dinner. That's a good thing since, as Quasar implied, it was just confusing people.

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. The relationship between this place and UGO was always confusing.

Dammit, 1UP is one of the few sites I first ever joined 9/10 years ago when I was 17/16, I was only just coming back to it and now I hear it is closing down.

Well that's a shame because all those people are going to lose their jobs because of the layoffs. So are the sites going to be inaccessible when they shut down? If so, then we'll lose all of the news they gave us.

Quasar said:

Rumors of Doomworld's death are greatly exaggerated.

I hope that means that Doomworld will NOT shut down, because if Doomworld Forums DOES shut down, then I'll be pissed.

NiTROACTiVE said:

So are the sites going to be inaccessible when they shut down?

That's how it usually works, whatever they can't find a buyer for will be wiped from the servers.

Aliotroph? said:
Thanks for clearing that up, guys. The relationship between this place and UGO was always confusing.

The Telefragged (now AtomicGamer) folk made us put that icon up there, but never told us to take it down when their corroboration ended.

pritch said:

Rest assured whatever happens, dw will stay around.

Nothing of value was lost, then.

DoomUK said:

Nothing of value was lost, then.

It's sad to see Gamespy and all it's hosted game sites die for good. I can't help feeling nostalgic thinking back at the times I used to log onto Gamespy.

Gamespy was good back when it was in its prime, but when it was bought out it went to shit. It should have died then and there, it has been nothing but a zombie since then.

PlanetQuake was really the place to be back in the glory days of Quake 2. Here's a drink to Matrix Q2 and Dear Mynx.

I have fond memories of Gamespy. So many summer days, sitting inside when it was too hot out and playing RTSs in my underwear with a fan blowing on the CPU. Those were the days, just trash talking in the chat lobbies and helping the noobs set up their routers to even handle the Gamespy matchmaker client.

There were a lot of neat Diablo 2 mods hosted on PlanetDiablo but eventually it got hopelessly out of date. Too bad.

All in all, something of value was lost.

Aliotroph? said:

TESnexus is your friend. So is the UESP. Nothing else matters.

yeah, all your TES needs should be covered between those two sites.