Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

An Experiment in 32 Grid

I am gonna work on a map using predominantly 32 grid for the bulk of architecture but the other details (door, smaller details) will get 16 or 8 grid.

Just a small DB screen for now:

postin screenshots already at just like a half hour into mapping? :p

but yah, lately I've been mapping similarly, make the base layout in 32, add nuances at 16, then do detailing at 8 and 4.

Meh, after making Horalky.wad it seems to me that even 64 grid isn't that big of a limitation unless you're making something that usually requires a lot of vertices (like natural landscapes). So I don't find these grid experiments fascinating anymore. Now, if someone made a good looking 128 grid map...

Da Spadger said:

Try no grid at all.

Eh, that wouldn't be a proper limitation (everything is still possible to make), just an annoynce, kind of like trying to map using only one hand.

@Ribbicks: That is more like 15-20 minutes :p

I'm doing this as a throwback to my DCK days where 32 grid was my standard build grid.

For those who do know my building style, I have not made the starting room which is my motif when I build as I normally build the start room and work from there. I will make that room later once I get more of the map fleshed out.

I've been working on my speed mapping skills. I end up working on rooms like a sculptor works on statues. I start with an overall layout/level flow making unconnected right angle rooms in 256. Then I bump down to 128 and add some angles and detail. Its at this point I usually start connecting rooms because big doors are usually 128. Then I bump down again to 64 and chisel away some more refining angles. Finally I hit 32, which is what I (and most others) use as the solid walls separating tight interconnected rooms. Eventually I get to 16 and smaller, but that is usually after I texture everything. 32 seems to be the standard for both basic and speed mapping.

Memfis said:

Now, if someone made a good looking 128 grid map...

I'll get to work on that right now, I have literally never once tried one of these grid challenges.

Megalyth said:

What's the verdict on thing placement for a grid challenge?

imo it's not very important, but you should get bonus points for doing it.

Ribbiks said:

postin screenshots already at just like a half hour into mapping? :p

but yah, lately I've been mapping similarly, make the base layout in 32, add nuances at 16, then do detailing at 8 and 4.

1px is the best grid size :P

printz said:

Someone already made 32 Inch Nails

Also Moonstone on a 128 grid, but who cares?:P

On a side note, I tried making a 32 map once. I even put the objects on the 32 grid, aren't I awesome? =D I probably overdid the difficulty on the end bit though.

Hmm, this brings up a good idea for a community episode. Build the first map using only a certain size then the next, a size up. Just a thought though. Looks like a good layout so far Mr.Chris.

Yea, making a megawad could prove interesting. Anyone else is welcome to post screens of predominantly 32 grid mapping.

2 more screens..

If people want a top down image, I'll post one.