Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomK07

How to do speedmapping?

Hey guys! I've got a question, I really don't know how to speedmap.

Many of the maps of Scythe and Speed of Doom were speedmapped but they're so detailed and so well thought out that it seems that it took days to create every single map from these megawads. I take almost one entire day to make just 50% of a medium sized map without monsters, what's the secret behind speedmapping? Can someone teach me how to build quality maps so quickly?

Speed of Doom took a year to make so it was hardly a speedmap megawad. (but 33 maps in one year is still pretty fast of course)

I suppose that having a good plan is very important: if you have a clear picture of the level in your mind, then you don't have to stare at the screen half the time, thinking "what should I do now?". But for some reason it never worked for me so I just start with one or two rooms and then improvise. I noticed that working on 3-4 maps simultaneously really helps because when I'm bored with one map I can just switch to another and come back later. Just don't start 15 maps at the same time. :)

Also, always think of what you're trying to achieve. What's the purpose of the room that you're making? Why is it important? Is some interesting battle going to take place here or is it needed to connect some other areas? etc.

Thanks for the help! That's right, working on more than one map at the same map is an awesome idea. :D

Memfis said:
if you have a clear picture of the level in your mind, then you don't have to stare at the screen half the time, thinking "what should I do now?".

Well you've given me an idea: first drawing the layout in sheets of draft and then create it on doombuilder.

DoomK07 said:

first drawing the layout in sheets of draft and then create it on doombuilder.

That's probably the best idea to get started. This is what I did for my first map, which can be found as MAP07 of D2INO. Using the badly drawn sketch of the map layout, it took me about an hour to do the main layout of the map, although it is a very small level.

If it had remained as V3.0.0, then I would regard it as a speedmap. Numerous revisions based on feedback meant the actual map took just over a month to finish.
Now in comparison, my other map for the project (22) hasn't been sketched and as a result I have a lack of ideas of what to do for it constantly. It's a far bigger map, but I started working on it 4 months ago and it is still far from finished. That paper makes all the difference, eh? :P

to me speedmapping is building whatever comes into your head without hesitation. imo it's really helpful for two reasons. not hesitating means that you get something down, regardless of its quality, which is really hard to force yourself to do sometimes (too easy to overthink it). get yourself to sit down and make a whole level with this process and you're sure to end up with at least *some* quality stuff (relative to your skill level). anything not up to par can be refined, but hell you can refine everything later too.

if you're trying to make whatever comes into your head quickly, then it also becomes an exercise in controlling your tools etc. the more you do it, the easier it is for you to translate your vision into an actual map

i would personally suggest using a timelimit so that you have something pushing you, that way it's not so easy to give up. if you can get someone else to speedmap at the same time as you, even better

edit: judging by your screenshots in the "unfinished work" thread you posted, you know your way around the editor and know how to make things look pretty nice, so maybe it's just a matter of letting your inhibitions go when you try to speedmap

Whether you are good at speedrunning really depends on a lot of situation. You need a good understanding on maps(That means the map is inside your brain), good planning, experiences, and even on luck based on monsters' behavior. If you are just in elementary level, then try to speedrun on easier and smaller maps. Same of the maps are rather huge and hard to speedrun, like Scythe 2 Map30(Very hard to speedrun) and maps on SOD. And usually NM Speed(Speedrun in Skill 5 Nightmare) is harder than just UV Speed.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Whether you are good at speedrunning really depends on a lot of situation. You need a good understanding on maps(That means the map is inside your brain), good planning, experiences, and even on luck based on monsters' behavior. If you are just in elementary level, then try to speedrun on easier and smaller maps. Same of the maps are rather huge and hard to speedrun, like Scythe 2 Map30(Very hard to speedrun) and maps on SOD. And usually NM Speed(Speedrun in Skill 5 Nightmare) is harder than just UV Speed.

I think the author meant speedmapping instead of running.