Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

A pushable voxel table.

I've been studying the secrets of the DECORATE lump and Slab6, so I whipped together this pushable voxel table test room. You can move the table and jump on it to gain access to the otherwise unreachable area. I felt like sharing this because this could be a neat addition to a future map, and I want to see the community's reaction.

Link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?m35hea9uugthvav

I know that the table looks a bit shitty. I suck at drawing wood textures.

I especially like how, unlike other pushable items, if you get it wedged into a corner, you can still push it out. Very neat.

Here's my FDA, just for chuckles.

Very simple, and flawlessly executed, from what I can tell. Was the point to jump on the table to get up to the little elevated library vestibule? I don't have jump bound to anything, so I couldn't test out that functionality.

As for feature suggestions, it would be neat if the player could either pick up (a la Half-Life 2) or drag (a la Half-Life) the table. Other than that, it's perfect. Reacts exactly how you'd expect it to, with zero glitching.

Is this a test for a project, or just a test to see if it can be done? Either way, it's exciting, and I hope to see more of this kind of thing. Great work!

Fantastic. Nice to see people utilising voxel features to the full effect. And knowing how imaginative and creative people are around here, I can foresee all sorts of crazy possibilities and new ideas to further push the envelope.

Great idea! Can you stack them to make larger structures? This opens up interesting gameplay possibilities.

NerdKoopa said:

I know that the table looks a bit shitty. I suck at drawing wood textures.

I'd say that if you gave it much more contrast (not the texture of wood itself, but the shaded areas - well, just look at the wall textures behind it) it would look absolutely fine!

I didn't know you can use voxels in normal zdoom. Can the table do a flip, like rotate upside down then back up? Makes my attempt at using cacodemon's as "big 3d pixels" to make a rotating cube and hollow sphere seem more pointless I guess:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62874-hollow-cacosphere/
(and yep, tested and the whole sphere builds in zdoom 2.6.x but not 2.5.x because the max # cap of acs actions per tic allowed was recently quadrupled)
I'm not sure the level of control voxels give you, but I was able to do stuff like expand the sphere bigger over time (increasing space between cacodemons).