Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

3 Vanilla Doom 2 SP-Maps (The Devil'z Work)

Hey all, I recently made 3 singleplayer maps which I've named The Devil'z Work, after my band. They're vanilla compatable as the title suggests, and use MIDIs that I made.

These are maps you're meant to take your time with. I've attempted to apply the Castlevania NES theory to Doom with these maps - Difficult, but fair. Be patient and you'll conquer all the enemies!

Anyway, enough of my yammering, here's the download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jjdidnvqhitbg7a

Let me know what you think, hope you all enjoy.

FDAs

Nice maps with pretty visuals and groovy music (am I allowed to use your midis in my wads?). There is one problem with the palette though: when you pick up something, looks like it restores to the original palette for a brief moment. I found that a bit distracting, is it possible to fix?

Also I found the gameplay a bit tedious at times. There are many instances when you have to kill many tough monsters in very open areas, where they don't pose any threat to an average player. (very easy to dodge their attacks) What's worse is that most of the time you don't have anything stronger than shotgun/chaingun, so it just takes forever to deal with them. On map03 you at least get SSG and plasmagun so it's a bit better in that aspect.

Overall this looks promising but gameplay needs to be improved in my opinion.

Memfis said:

There is one problem with the palette though: when you pick up something, looks like it restores to the original palette for a brief moment.

Also, this new palette needs its own COLORMAP.

Memfis said:

Also I found the gameplay a bit tedious at times. There are many instances when you have to kill many tough monsters in very open areas, where they don't pose any threat to an average player. (very easy to dodge their attacks) What's worse is that most of the time you don't have anything stronger than shotgun/chaingun, so it just takes forever to deal with them.

Alrighty, so I need to fix up the PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps, and make sure battles are challenging as opposed to tedious. Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot!

EDIT: Damnit.. I clicked quote instead of edit!

Memfis said:

am I allowed to use your midis in my wads?

Sure thing, just put my name in the credits somewhere :)

Da Werecat said:

Yesterday, I did a quick fix to PLAYPAL before watching the demos (sorry, I was not in the mood to play anything). Made a new COLORMAP as well, although I still don't like how certain things look in the dark.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/de2d7f9423/

Nice MIDIs. :)

Thank you for the improved colors, I'm a bit of a palette noob honestly. I just really like that light shade of blue.. :P