Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTrop

I Will Program Small Doom Utilities For You

Is ThingSpy supposed to create an stdout.txt file? It's not creating one for me and only the last 4 or so maps of a megawad are being shown in the command prompt because there are so many lines.

Thanks for the utilities!

Sorry if you have made such a thing in the past, I haven't got time just yet to read the entire thread.

I am looking for a utility that will read a WAD file--or two WAD files--and find textures that are unused and identify (or outright delete) "unused" patch/textures.

The reason I want this is I have combined two different texture packs for my mapset but I'm sure between the two, there are textures that I've added to my "source" texture file but haven't used. To save space and download time for people (because I know this is a concern) I'd love to have a utility to analyze my WAD and either delete the things I didn't use, or at least tell me what I didn't use so I can do it myself.

Can this be done? It is not a time sensitive matter (my megawad's not out for a while yet) but it'd be nice to have it for beta releases. I'm sure it would also be very useful for others as well.

Thanks!

texspy and textract will do this in combination. The normal syntax is:

texspy.exe maps.wad -textract | textract.exe textures.wad -base C:\path_to_doom\doom2.wad -o output.wad
Since your maps and textures are in the same file, maybe you use the same filename for all three wads?
Back up your original file just in case.

There's also wcleaner which is maybe better if you've got all the textures in one wad already:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/65649-wcleaner-wad-optimizer/

plums said:

texspy and textract will do this in combination. The normal syntax is:

texspy.exe maps.wad -textract | textract.exe textures.wad -base C:\path_to_doom\doom2.wad -o output.wad
Since your maps and textures are in the same file, maybe you use the same filename for all three wads?
Back up your original file just in case.

There's also wcleaner which is maybe better if you've got all the textures in one wad already:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/65649-wcleaner-wad-optimizer/

Thanks!!

jmickle66666666 said:

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring for programming small doom utilities. I made this tool for filling out the Monster and Item counts on the doomwiki, and also a (buggy) 3d fly-through viewer for doom levels

let me know if there's anything you'd like to see!

Not sure if your last sentence refers to things people'd like to see added to you utility or if your asking for requests for other utilities. If it's the latter, I've a request (again! I asked earlier in this thread but got no response...):

Would it be possible to make a small utility so that I can drop music tracks into a folder, name them '1', '2', '3' etc, and then run an 'app' to generate a music WAD for any of the Doom engine games?

@Average:

How about a tool where you put all the music tracks in a WAD, in the order you want, and then pass it to the tool and pick a game, and it spits out a WAD renaming them according to the order?

Would be easier for me than reading from a folder.

jmickle66666666 said:

let me know if there's anything you'd like to see!

Here's a repost of something I requested over a year ago, but it would still be very useful for me:

I hope my problem isn't too niche. I'm making a texture pack for Doom 64 ex which includes a bunch of custom skies. As Doom 64 renders its skies in realtime, I could really use something that makes a 64x64 preview png for every SKYDEF in a wad. If it had an option to insert the previews into the wad too that would be perfect.

I had started doing this by hand myself but with a lot of skies something automated would be much more sensible:

I'll assume you aren't familiar with Doom 64 sky specifics.

http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SKYDEFS

Also, in the Doom 64 tech bible, the four passes info on page 38 tells exactly how the sky coloring is rendered.

If you think you might make this I could get into some more specifics that would be useful (stuff like adding a T to indicate skies with thunder).

So how about that flipped-sprite padder thingy I asked about a while back? It'd be useful for the whole community, not just me*.

Please don't make me release my version, I'm a baaaad coder.

How about you, Slade 3 maintainers?

*That being said, it's a crying shame most port maintainers haven't implemented their own fix to this problem engine-side. It's sick that id never did it themselves, let alone that such a simple and long-standing problem was never addressed by the community.

I don't know if this would help many people aside from myself, or if it even fits in to ask here, but I would really like some monster animations, possibly even the Brutal Doom versions with the fatalities performed on each other, for the "Generic Animated Chess" *wink* *wink* game that Geo is making. They would be used as the sprites for the monsters both as they move and when they meet. The individual battles would necessarily have to be different for each monster, so fatalities would be preferred to standard battles.

I don't think animating should be needed. Everything exists already. It should just be a matter of finding the files, naming and organising them properly.

In my head, I think that each monster would need a folder with walking animations, as well as 6 battle animations involving the 6 different targets. According to Geo, they will also need a standard picture for use in the menu.

I'd personally like to see each team have either different monsters (preferably) or the dark variants would be ok for the black side.

As I said, idk how many other people this will help, but it will help every single person who plays Geo's chess game and wants to make it look like Doom. By that logic, it will also help Geo for all the time he's putting into it, because the monster pack will be already available.

I wish I knew more about doing that kind of stuff, but since I don't yet I think it'd be awesome if someone here wanted to take a crack at it. Either that or I'll just have to wait til it's finished and attempt to do it myself and prolly produce something sub-standard that nobody else would want, lol.

Hi! Can anyone make a tool that counts how many times a door was opened in a demo? Basically a door counter. As simple as that. While we are at it, how about counting shots and misses, too? How about outputting all possible statistics of a demo into a text file?

Also, is there a tool that easily lists all monsters and items in a map and exports it to a text file?

Aqfaq said:

Can anyone make a tool that counts how many times a door was opened in a demo?

I don't think that anyone could do this.
I for one would not even know where to begin doing something like this.

I guess the question should have been "Could somebody who is into programming ...." etc. ;)

However, if the map is for G/ZDoom or it's offspring, then you could easily set up a script to update a variable
every time the door is opened and display the result on-screen.

Aqfaq said:

Also, is there a tool that easily lists all monsters and items in a map and exports it to a text file?

GZDB lists all things, but does not export the list to a text file.

Kappes Buur said:

I for one would not even know where to begin doing something like this.

Perhaps fork PrBoom+, get rid of rendering, sound and the delay between tics, so it "plays" the demo as fast as your computer can handle it. Keep track of these things as they happen in the game. The demo file alone (being just the player input and nothing else) would not be sufficient, you'd need to actually run it to know what happens... when you run it.

I am committing thread necromancy because I not only have made a new Doom library for Java, I retooled it for the existing utilities.

All of the standalone stuff has been minified, as well - so only pertinent code gets bundled in (mush smaller downloads). the EXEs still require Java, though.

Hope you guys enjoy this! Let me know if you come across some missing class exceptions.

WadArchive said:

Awesome, when I get a chance I'll update my stuff to use it

I should warn you that the new library doesn't have the "game detection" or "map renderer" utility stuff yet - I wanted to completely revamp that bit. I kept things less "one-stop-shop" this time around in order to accommodate more complex stuff.

Sorry for the bump but if you used DoomMerge at all in the past weeks, sorry for fucking up the output WAD. I fixed it, now. D'oh. Get v2.0.1.