Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
isVital

Check out my first single player map.

After many scrapped map ideas, I've finally finished my first singleplayer map. I thought it turned out well, although I feel the lighting is pretty weak overall, as well as me feeling like the level isn't all that detailed.

It isn't too long, but it'll be difficult if you don't save your weapons for the right moment, as firepower and ammo is scarce. Having a good dodge will help, too, since sometimes cover isn't as abundant as you'd like.

Hopefully you guys like it.

http://archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hidden.zip

FDA

Tough map with not much ammo to start with as far as I could see.
Detail at start could use some work, but overall it seems pretty good for a first attempt.

Oh, and welcome to DW.

FDA. That's a nice and stressful map, good job. Some monsters seem redundant to me (i.e. it's too easy to ignore/skip them), the rest is cool.

I liked this map, well thought layouts and swarms that are intimidating, but not unfair. First death, I ran in guns blazing and was out numbered. 2nd, I got trapped in the little red key cavern and was cornered by Hellknights. 3rd time, I made it through.

The style is great, very classic and still looks good. I'll probably be in the minority here, But I'd urge you to keep your 'detail' around the level it's at, maybe only a tiny bit more polish. Too many modern SP/Coop maps suffer from being crowded with eye-straining levels of detail, whereas your map is simply solid and appealing as-is.

FO' STARZ. Hope to see more with this style coming through. This map seems like it could have been a later map in one of the big time sets from the early 2000's, like HR or AV, albeit yours is a bit more fair.

why oh why is it in the map05 slot? -.- I'm too lazy to read textfiles.

anyways, here's a boring fda to throw on the pile. I made it to a room with lava and lots of revenants, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the lava and died (god damn rad-suit 'leaking').

map was ok. a good difficulty, but a lot of parts are more tedious than challenging. For example taking out those 4 HKs in the first area with a shotty is just kinda boring. Also holy hell was ammo scarce. Not necessarily a problem if you plan things out in advance or instigate lots of infighting, but I would've killed a man to get some more shells, or a chaingun at least. I might've missed a secret or two, but without em it seems I would've been forced to fist my way through everything. I'd suggest removing some of the non-threatening enemies that just sink ammo (hks on BK ledge, for example)

But yeah, not bad for a first map.

Ribbiks said:

why oh why is it in the map05 slot? -.- I'm too lazy to read textfiles.

In prboom-plus "-warp" (without a number afterwards) sends you to the first replaced map.

I definitely appreciate the feedback, and I enjoyed watching your guys' demos a lot. It's pretty weird watching people play through it without the intimate knowledge that I have from making the map.

One thing I thought was peculiar was how no one tried to activate the demon face in the red hallway east of the start. Both hallways have four faces, but that demon face was the only different one of the group. While it didn't give access to any secrets, it opened up the locked door that traps you in the room, allowing you to collect any ammo or health that may have been left behind.

To Ribbiks, the reason it occupies map 05 is because I felt the music was much more fitting than map 01's. Especially the intro line. I also greatly enjoyed your visible reaction to the realization that player corpses signified traps. As for the lava pit, it wasn't very clear, I admit, but the exit was to simply activate the central platform you originally fell off of.

When I tested in Chocolate Doom, I might have been using cheats and speeding through the level. Watching (and playing myself) on legit vanilla settings in PRBoom, I noticed that teleporting cacodemons like to get stuck on candelabras. That's something that needs to get fixed. If anyone else notices any glaring technical issues, please point them out.

If anyone is interested, I've got a UVMax demo uploaded if you need tips on room strategy or finding the secrets. It's a bit of a slow 21 minutes, but it was the best time I could do. I can't hold claim to being an amazing Doom player.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0o62p0kw2auhe6/uvhidden.lmp