Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Hmm, well, whatever the issue is, with just a bit of testing I already determined it has something to do with linedef 502. (The switch) Anytime it begins to enter the frame the game crashes. EDIT: More specifically and confusingly, the switch part of the texture only, not the whole texture...

are all platforms, switched doors (with S-function instead of D) and moving floors tagged?

Death Egg said:

Hmm, well, whatever the issue is, with just a bit of testing I already determined it has something to do with linedef 502. (The switch) Anytime it begins to enter the frame the game crashes. EDIT: More specifically and confusingly, the switch part of the texture only, not the whole texture...

I can't open the map on this PC. Is the switch texture on a 2-sided line? That'll crash chocolate-doom: multi-patch textures can't be on 2-sided lines.

Oh, yeah, I opened it in Doombuilder, looks like you accidentally set it to be double-sided. That's probably causing the problem.

Death Egg said:
Oh, yeah, I opened it in Doombuilder, looks like you accidentally set it to be double-sided. That's probably causing the problem.

If it's a 2-sided linedef with a multi-patch texture on the middle texture, that's definitely the problem. Choco crashes instantly when asked to render that (in vanilla you would have got the medusa effect from it, instead). There was a map in Doom 2 In Name Only which had the same problem.

All switches are multi-patch textures, to the best of my knowledge.

scifista42 said:

@zinkai: I'll speak by myself: I have the original map I'm recreating (AND also the map in the mapslot I'm replacing) opened in an editor (separate window). I often look at the map, sometimes measure exact lengths, spend a lot of time flying through it in Doom Builder 2 Visual Mode and just speak to myself: "Hmmmm..." But I never copy and paste anything.

This is close to what I'm doing. I'll open the map, actually plot the area down on graph paper with the lengths, and then next to it sketch out a plan for how I want the new one to look. Then draw it from scratch in the editor.

Sometimes I'll just run through the original map in Doom itself just to try and get a "feel" for it.

Flamen0d said:

just updated my map. It now has death match, co op, difficulty settings, and hopefully I fixed the tutti frutti. http://www.mediafire.com/?5v2dvy3kyb7ry2e

@scifista24 At the start of the level I really can't see taking out more enemies without taking away not only the feeling of map e1m4 but also E3. You can easily grab a shotgun from outside and run back in if you didn't get it from the secret already, and the hitscanners aren't that bad.

Umm... did you not see my post or did you not feel like editing the download link on the description was necessary?

gothic said:

quick preview from my E1-3M7
http://i.imgur.com/Zt7EGHt.png

@scifista42 wait, how many cyberdemons can be on episode 4? or this mod is not 100% accurate with the monster placement?

I believe it is't, since there's no soulsphere in E3M1, no berserk in E1M6, no light googles in E3M7, no pinky demons in E1M2 and in the case of monsters, the cyberdemon is for E4 (after E2) the same like barons for E2 (after E1).

gothic said:

are all platforms, switched doors (with S-function instead of D) and moving floors tagged?

Exactly.

Fernito said:

Excellent work. You accomplished something I couldn't have imagined - you transformed the original rooms that made me sick to such a nice landmarks that actually helped me to navigate better. It was fun to shoot your way through this techbase, the quite bigger size didn't bother at all. When playing, I liked how you can see E1 touches everywhere, but no forced homages to E1M5. Towards the end, this changed a bit, but I cannot say it spoiled anything. The glowing maze is definitely better than what was there originally, and then the look outside... I particularly like what you did in this and this area. To sum up - we have another quality map here :)

P.S. Yes, the problem is what Death Egg says. late

scifista42 said:

Excellent work. You accomplished something I couldn't have imagined - you transformed the original rooms that made me sick to such a nice landmarks that actually helped me to navigate better. It was fun to shoot your way through this techbase, the quite bigger size didn't bother at all. When playing, I liked how you can see E1 touches everywhere, but no forced homages to E1M5. Towards the end, this changed a bit, but I cannot say it spoiled anything. The glowing maze is definitely better than what was there originally, and then the look outside... I particularly like what you did in this and this area. To sum up - we have another quality map here :)

P.S. Yes, the problem is what Death Egg says. late

hehehe, thanks a lot for your comments! I'm glad you liked it.

By the way, found any bugs, medusa effects or something?

scifista42 said:

I particularly like what you did in this

Wow...

scifista42 said:

and this area. To sum up - we have another quality map here :)

WOW...

Pardon my language, but fucking great work, Fernito. How am I just hearing about you now? From the looks of these shots you've got some serious mapping chops. I almost can't believe this is Vanilla.

schwerpunk said:

Pardon my language, but fucking great work, Fernito. How am I just hearing about you now? From the looks of these shots you've got some serious mapping chops. I almost can't believe this is Vanilla.

Thanks for your compliments, but I think you're exaggerating my abilities :P

I'm fairly new to Doom mapping, but I have some experience mapping for 2.5D engines, specifically the Build engine; I've been making maps for Duke Nukem 3D since 1998 :)

Memfis said:

What are the columns for? :)

So the whole structure isn't floating in the air :P

PS: by the way, seems like episode 1 is complete already! :O

So it's not a spaceship? Needs more columns then IMO, looks really unconvincing with just two thin ones.

Memfis said:

So it's not a spaceship? Needs more columns then IMO, looks really unconvincing with just two thin ones.

Yeah, now that you mention it, maybe you're right. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what I can do when I get home.

C30N9 said:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/C30N9/Screenshot_Doom_20130313_180421.png

E3-2M2

(E3M2 style)

Shouldn't it be called E2-3M2 then? Damn, that naming rule sure is confusing :P

By the way, it definitely has an E3M2 feel to it, but I can't recognize what part of E2M2 it is.

Fernito said:

Shouldn't it be called E2-3M2 then? Damn, that naming rule sure is confusing :P

By the way, it definitely has an E3M2 feel, but I can recognize what part of E2M2 it is.

I am actually confused as much as you are :P. Can anyone give me the right naming?

About the screenshot, it's the start.

gothic said:

I think is something like "E1M4 moved to E3M4 (E1-3M4)"

Yeah, that's how I do it. Also I added an example to the first post to hopefully clear up confusion.

Fernito said:

PS: by the way, seems like episode 1 is complete already! :O

Almost, Jaws in Space's map is still halfway done, but once it's finished up, that Episode is done. I can't say I was expecting it to be done this fast!

Also, Fernito's E1M5 is one hell of a good map.

Is it just me, or is Fernito's newer version of his maps download not working? The link works but clicking download only gives me an error.

Death Egg said:

Is it just me, or is Fernito's newer version of his maps download not working? The link works but clicking download only gives me an error.

I just tried, it worked for me. I can re-upload it anyway.

Hmmm, something's really up on my end with your Mediafire files, because that one still won't download for me. I tried other Mediafire downloads from other authors but they work fine, and the first version you posted downloaded without issues... Would someone mind uploading the updated version to another site so I can see if it works then?