Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Back on June 17 Cell made a somewhat confusing post where he claimed E3M6 in episode 2 style. On June 29 I made a post asking if Cell was making the map of not, & if not then I would volunteer to make the map. Later that day Death Egg said he didn't really care who made the map, just as long as it got done. So I went ahead and started to make the map, then on July 3 Cell came back and said he was still making the map. At that point I stopped working on my version & went ahead and deleted it. Starting last weekend I had my dad send me an old copy of that wad & I started working on it again. This is what I have done so far. It's still needs a bit more work with item placement & I need to check it for vanilla compatibility. Anyways I thought I'd go ahead and post this here while we are waiting for Cell.

Jaws In Space said:

Back on June 17 Cell made a somewhat confusing post where he claimed E3M6 in episode 2 style. On June 29 I made a post asking if Cell was making the map of not, & if not then I would volunteer to make the map. Later that day Death Egg said he didn't really care who made the map, just as long as it got done. So I went ahead and started to make the map, then on July 3 Cell came back and said he was still making the map. At that point I stopped working on my version & went ahead and deleted it. Starting last weekend I had my dad send me an old copy of that wad & I started working on it again. This is what I have done so far. It's still needs a bit more work with item placement & I need to check it for vanilla compatibility. Anyways I thought I'd go ahead and post this here while we are waiting for Cell.

Wow, I really like what you have there. It's a very good blend of both style and gameplay of E2M6 and E3M6.

OK, I quit. The stuff JIS got here is a way more rational approach to the crossover related to that which I was planning, before I got demotivated by the douchebag automatical system refresh event that erased all my important progress on 13 July.

The only significant problem I encountered during playing the map was that I ran out of ammo frequently. Maybe it was the only matter of the fact that JIS reported a la item placement. Nevermind.

Yeah, not bad. I was also toying around with a version at one point and was having trouble deciding how to mesh the closed nature of E2M6 with E3M6's open layout. Since the E3M6 replacement we have is pretty open itself, makes sense to make the new E2M6 closed off... I think this is a decent way of doing so.

I'd lower the monster count in some areas, and the first caco (near the RL) is stuck. But I know you still need to do item placement. Oh, and the weird-shaped doors got a bit disorienting, but whatever. It's E2, it's supposed to be creepy right?

And with that, I'm releasing the first RElease Candidate. (Even though the map still needs tweaking and some maps still need to be named) Since most maps are complete or near complete I'd like bug testing to be ramped up, specifically multiplayer testing since I don't think that's been done yet. I'd like the wad to be fully playable in co-op, and at least work in deathmatch. If someone could convince Zandronum or ZDaemon or Odamex to schedule one of those Friday or Saturday megawad playthrough server things for this, that'd be great.

Release Candidate 1

Good idea. I've never made an MP map, so I invariably got something wrong. General bugtest is probably a good idea too

buggy lower textures in e2m6 (first room), also there a blocked caco in the higher section of the room... the one with the window open to the outdoor arena...

I think you should update the 1st post not only with the download link but also with the info, so people don't get confused, since all slots are taken and all maps are already done, the map list should be removed, or at least the download links

Okay so this is pretty much done now. Finished up thing placement & difficulty settings. Then I fixed the textures that were causing issues in vanilla. The only thing I may want to change in the future is adding some more ammo on UV, but I'll let a few people test it first before I do so.
Center of the Damned Mountain

In E1M4, close to the exit, you receive damage when standing in the frame of the right chamber that opens to release some enemies.

Screenshot #1 (ingame view)
Screenshot #2 (map view)

Other than that, after finishing the first episode so far, I can say that I like this a lot. It's great to recognize all the familiar shapes from the classic levels, but rearranged, turning it into something new. Reminds me a bit of "Wonderful Doom", yet with a different concept.

Looking forward to playing the other episodes!

Have finally finished 100th Wave, so expect my Let's Play of Switcheroom to commence shortly! I'm looking forward to this one....

Did anyone else have the impression that there is a lack of ammo in E3M2? Maybe I played it the wrong way since I found the yellow skull key very late, thus preventing me from finding the chaingun and stuff, but even without it, it should be possible to survive. I ended up running out of shotgun ammo on HNTR - which wasn't fun when facing Barons.

Just asking because I found it unusually hard for a second level of an episode, unless it's intended to be that hard, ofc. Otherwise, I suggest placing more shotgun ammo in that level at least (or maybe less enemies in lower difficulties, should be the same).

*EDIT Oct 23*
Actually, major parts of Ep.4 suffer from the same problem. I would say it's OK in E4M1, E4M7, E4M8 and E4M9, but not for all the other maps. For example, during the "Unholy Cathedral" remake (I think it is E4M5, but unsure right now), you have a fight against a Cyberdemon while Cacodemons pour out of all four central pillar wings. On HNTR, I was barely left with a couple of rockets and next to zero plasma cells, making this fight extremely frustrating... and I wasn't exactly wasting ammo before already. Even on ITYTD (where you get 2x the ammo amount per pickup), I might still have run into issues.
Maybe these maps haven't been tested on lower difficulties yet, so I am just saying... you either need to do something about monster spawns there or you add some ammo - for I believe it shouldn't be significantly more difficult than the original ep.4 was, and I never had such problems there.

Okay Here is the final version of E2M6. Changes are very minor, I think I only removed some health packs.

Do we have a team to play test this? It seems like no one really knows that all the maps are finished & we are ready for testing. NightFright gave his thoughts on lack of ammo in episode 4 is anyone doing anything about that?

Playing through it, having a tough time. It is truly a great community project. I'm not that experienced with Map-Making, but it looks like fun if I tried to contribute to this.

I still want to spend some time running through this, but it goes much more slowly as a playtester than just a player, and work kinda blew up on me this week. This weekend, hopefully. ALSO there are some (minor) changes I definitely know I want to make to E2M4, and possibly E4M2 if I have time.

Ragnor said:

I dont know, E4 being frustratingly difficult seems like normal

Well, I can say I definitely had less problems playing through the original Ep.4 than this one. If it was intended like that, then OK, I guess. Anyway, from my POV it's like this: Hordes of monsters + sufficient ammo = challenge, hordes of monsters + insufficient ammo = madness. :P

Maybe it's just not my kind of playing style, so I am not 100% sure if my claims are valid. Maybe others can give additional opinions about the general difficulty of the last episode.

OK, played throughout the whole first episode. Remarks about some of the levels:

E1M2:

- While it doesn't look bad, I insist in that there are some architectural choices that don't make it look like a classic map (like this, for example).
- I think it's too early to have a rocket launcher in this map, even though it's inside a secret.

E1M3:

- There are some non-Ep1 textures here and there that kind of bother me :P
- The berserk pack should be removed IMO, as it's not an Ep1 item.
- I think it would be better if the monsters teleporting after getting the blue key were replaced by monster closets (again, that's not very Ep1-like).
- I think it's a little bit too early to include a non-secret rocket launcher.

E1M7:

- Those marble faces look kinda out of place IMO. They make the level look a little Ep2-like.

And that would be about it. I'll keep going with Ep2 later.

HOM in E1M3: http://i.imgur.com/GmOVZKV.png (right up there)
The HOM initially isn't there, reveals only after the stairs are raised.

I also agree with Fernito that the non-E1 choices should better go off from the maps in E1. Except for the marble faces in E1M7, those are OK given the setting IMO, actually look cool and also they are a sign we're approaching the end of the episode. :)

Just finished episode 2. I have to say that this one is a lot stronger than the first one. I liked these levels a lot, specially the first three, which are just brilliant IMO.

The only level I really have 'complaints' about is E2M5. Just like E1M2, I think that there are some design choices that don't make it feel very 'original Doom'-like (like this and this). Also, I think this map has too many monsters, making it feel like an episode 4 level rather than an episode 2 one.

That's about it. I'll start with episode 3 now.

Jaws In Space said:

Can someone list the non E1 textures I used in E1M3 so I can replace them.

I would say GRAY5, GRAYDANG and SW1BLUE (the skull switch).

I've went through every single texture I used in this my map & looked to see if was used in any E1 map. All non E1 textures were replaced, so if it appears in here then it is in E1 somewhere. Fixed textures

I also fixed that HOM on the stairs.

Since I'm tired of being singled out for having non E1 textures in my map I'm currently going though all the maps of E1 to see who else isn't using E1 textures, which happens to be every other map except for mine now.

Here is a list of everything that needs to be replaced because it is not found in episode 1.

E1M1
NON E1 FLATS
Flat1
Flat3
NON E1 WALLS
Ashwall
Doorhi
Skin2
SP_Hot1
Starg2
Support3
Woodgarg

E1M2
NON E1 FLATS
Ceil4_1
Flat1
NON E1 WALLS
Doorhi
Litmet
Shawn1

E1M4
NON E1 FLATS
Comp01
Cratop1
Flat1
Flat19
Gate1
Gate2
Gate3
Gate4
NON E1 WALLS
Bigdoor3
Blodgr1
Compwerd
Pipe4
Pipe6
Sladskul
Starg2
Stargr2
Support3

E1M5
NON E1 FLATS
Ceil4_1
Floor0_2
Fwater1
NON E1 WALLS
Bigdoor3
Compblue
Compohso
Compwerd
Shawn3
Stargr2
Steptop
Sw2starg

E1M6
NON E1 FLATS
Ceil3_3
Cratop1
Cratop2
Floor0_3
NON E1 WALLS
Doorhi
Liteston
Starbr2
Sw1starg

E1M7
NON E1 FLATS
Ceil1_2
Ceil4_1
Flat19
Floor1_6
Gate3
NON E1 WALLS
Bigdoor3
Compwerd
Gstgarg
Gstsatyr
Litered
Liteston
Marbface
Marbface3
Pipe6
Sladskul
Steplad1
Support3
Sw1starg

E1M8
NON E1 WALLS
Compblue
Sw1gston

E1M9
NON E1 FLATS
Ceil3_3
Cratop1
Cratop2
Flat5_8
Floor0_2
NON E1 WALLS
Lite96

And for those who don't know what they are, here is a list of every single texture used in episode 1.

FLATS
Ceil3_1
Ceil3_2
Ceil3_5
Ceil4_2
Ceil4_3
Ceil5_1
Ceil5_2
Cons1_1
Cons1_5
Cons1_7
Dem1_1