Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

THIS THREAD IS N LONGER RELEVANT! NEW THREAD HERE: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/64559-release-voxel-vehicles-pack-1-0/

This is a pack of decorative voxel vehicles meant to be used with ZDoom and GZDoom. It contains all kinds of vehicles from cars to aircraft. These will definietly spice up city themed maps! I'm using SLAB6 to make these.

Here's what's included in Beta 5:

* 1960's two door sedan in 10 colors
* 1960's station wagon in 10 colors
* A modern four door sedan in 9 colors
* A modern hatchback in 9 colors
* A chopper bike in 6 colors
* 1980's taxi
* A modern taxi
* 1980's police cruiser. Comes in two varieties; one with lights on and one with lights off. (Yes, the lights are animated!)
* A modern police cruiser. Also comes in two light varieties.
* A van in 10 colors plus one with the UAC logo
* A modern pickup truck in 10 colors
* A plane in 8 colors
* A helicopter in 6 colors, plus one with the UAC logo
* An armored UAC truck in 2 colors
* A futuristic VTOL in 4 varieties. Green and brown, with UAC logo or without.
* A tank in 3 colors
* A forklift in 8 colors
* A bulldozer in 6 colors
* An excavator in 8 colors
* A tractor in 10 colors
* An ambulance in two light varieties.
* A semi truck in 9 colors
* A sports car in 10 colors
* A limousine in 4 colors
* An SUV in 9 colors
New vehicles
* A snowmobile in 9 colors
* A snowcat in 4 colors
* A snowcoach in 4 colors plus one UAC variant
* A hovercraft in 5 colors

Finished models to be included in Beta 6:

* A motor boat in 6 colors
* A fire truck in two light varieties

Link to Beta 5: http://www.mediafire.com/download/137elapl34wdjjb/vehipack_beta5b.pk3 (New link because Mediafire destroyed the original file for some reason.)
The pack is in PK3 format. Just remove the maps directory from the file to get rid of the demonstration level.

This will NOT work in source ports that don't support voxels or the KVX format!

I'll be posting more as I make more additions. As I update the thread, some comments might not apply anymore as I adress propblems.

Now for some screenshots. Please note that all the color variations are not shown in these!

cool stuff. The colours look very bright and cheerful for the doom universe, I'd imagine most maps that would feature them as decoration would have a more post apocalyptic theme, dirtier or maybe even smashed up - but less saturated colours would probably do the trick. I've no idea what is or isn't possible with these voxel things though..

How about some monospace or one-box cars? They'd probably work better with the technical limitations of Doom actors which have a one-box design to their collision box. Something like this.

Wow, these look really cool, and would look great for cities. However, unless the user is using a custom texture pack of some sort, as said before the colors are a little bright for Doom, and would be a heavy contrast, well, the bikes anyways. Some of the colors actually look good with the grays you have, and they'd look good for garages and stuff. The colors seem a lot brighter on the bikes though for some reason, and as a result they don't seem to mesh as well, in my opinion. Other than colors though contrasting and shit, these look really good. I'd love to see more in the future.

The motos made me lol.

Seriously, looks amazing. Bright colors are fine. Good job :) Provide the download soon, please, I believe I'm not the only one who desire :)

EDIT: I have one off topic question for anyone whose native language is English: How is it with the words color/colour? :D

scifista42 said:

How is it with the words color/colour? :D

American vs. British spelling. Same deal with center vs. centre or utilization vs. utilisation.

And the more extreme plow versus plough.

I mean, really, plough? Even though British English is my native language, I'm quite happy to accept that plow is a far more sensible way to spell the word.

In the UK, it is common for people to think that American English spellings are a result of "Americans not being able to spell" (etc). However, some of the spellings certainly cannot be attributed to that. The spelling "plow" can be found in writing predating the American adoption of that spelling by a many years. Also spellings such as "centre", "theatre" and so on were apparently changed by the British wanting to appear more sophisticated and European (in stark contrast to some current politicians). Some American spellings were made official for political reasons (to distance the ex-colony from its former imperial overlords). And finally there are some situations where different words have been used entirely (trunk of a car (US) versus the boot of a car (UK), sidewalk/pavement, duplex/semi-detached and so on).

A new car is coming soon to the pack. A modern four door sedan. I'll also be adding darker and generally more Doom-like color variations to the existing vehicles.

And not forgetting the crucial donut vs. doughnut debate.

On topic, these look really good. Don't know anything about voxels, but I think the bikes need more contrast between light and dark shades of color. The red on the closest bike is a good example. There are only 2 shades of red that I can see, vs 5 or possibly 6 shades of yellow on the taxi beneath it.

But good work anyway.

If you are taking requests, I think a 69 Dodge Viper Charger would work well. :D

A Dodge Charger would be very possible. Let's see what I can be assed to make after I'm done with the more usual cars. Also, the model on that pic is a 1968 model and not a 1969.

Voxels are cool, because they don't look 'forced' or as out-of-place as high-def textures/sprites, 3D models, dynamic lighting etc. They look like something that could have been in the game from the start, at least that's how I see it. :P

To solve the car collision problems, could you not just have the central car actor spawn two dummy actors to the back and front to act as collision boxes? This also always you to have the car boot and bonnet at lower heights too. Of course if the car moves you will have to use acs get/set position function or Decorate's A_Warp to keep the dummy actors in place relative to the actual car.

Update! Added one new car, a generic modern four door sedan in 9 differenlt colors. Added 3 extra colors to the 60's sedan and improved the shading on the choppers. Check the first post for the new screenshots.

Some genius needs to make these things explode like barrels when you shoot them

Alwaysdoomed said:

WOW!!!! these voxels are amazing!!

Question! Where would one start if they wanted to make voxels?

First, get SLAB6. It was originally a voxel editor for the Build engine, but ZDoom supports the KVX format that it uses.
Link here: http://advsys.net/ken/download.htm Just scroll down until you see it.
After that's done, just read the instructions and start modeling! When you're done with your model, put it in your wad between VX_START and VX_END markers. Then create a new actor with the DECORATE lump. Voxel names behave like sprite names in the code.

NerdKoopa said:

First, get SLAB6. It was originally a voxel editor for the Build engine, but ZDoom supports the KVX format that it uses.
Link here: http://advsys.net/ken/download.htm Just scroll down until you see it.
After that's done, just read the instructions and start modeling! When you're done with your model, put it in your wad between VX_START and VX_END markers. Then create a new actor with the DECORATE lump. Voxel names behave like sprite names in the code.

OMG thankyou soo much!!

Voxels are so sexy. Keep it up pal, they look great.

Now, make them blow up like in Michael Bay movies... ;)

New vehicles look great too, love the sedan and classic wagons.

Can't wait for a release in the future, these are good.

Update! Added a van in 10 colors to the pack. Also changed the shading in the windows of all of the previous cars. (Geez, that was a real chore!)

mouldy said:

I bet army jeep and tank would be popular

I am planning on adding a tank and an APC eventually.

The van model was just begging for the UAC logo, so I made an 11th van with one!

Does the logo look accurate enough?