Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

That armoured UAC truck is fantastic. Looking so good right now. Keep up the good work.

darknation said:

Have you tried using the propeller blade bug to add cell shading effects?

Thank me later.

That's a neat idea, but as I showed in that post, the rendering issue doesn't happen when the two overlapping models are looked from above. If I wanted to use that method to make cell shaded vehicles, I would always have to position the models in such a way that the player would never get the change to see them from above. That's not very convenient at all.

Hmm. Try adding a lot of empty space below the voxel 'cell' model then offset downwards so the center of the spritebox is always below ground level?

Not sure of proper terms, but you get where i'm going?

Yesterday I started working on the tank model, but the detailwork has proven to be quite difficult. Tanks have a million hatches, vents, metal hoops, tubes, plates, handles, boxes etc, so this one is probably gonna take a while. Still looking at various tank blueprints trying to make sense of it all. Well, at least the basic shape is already there. If you know more about tanks than I do, any suggestions or tips are welcome.

Here are some WIP pics as requested. I'm a bit worried about the design of the engine maintenance hatches. They might look a little too much like a pair of closet doors or something.

Has somewhat familiar designs of Leopard 2A4 and an CV90. And those are the ones I've worked with, as an armor mechanic. So, opinions can be quite biased for those, if you don't mind. =)
BTW, do you have general tank model in mind? Forgot to ask that one.

You might wanna keep that hatch as is, remove those six grate slots closer to center, and modify those back grate slots into different. Make black circle, put green lines as close as possible to each other, going north-south and west-east. With this, you should form air coolant vents. And with those grates close to center, you free slots for filling oil and cooling liquid or for engine heat vents, as an example.

As for shape, it is bit too steep from forward. You might want to increase the overall length of the tank from front to decrease the steepness, or modify it generally, if the size has gone too large.

Gonna probably post more tomorrow. Idea is right, though. But the more I look it, the more it looks CV90-Leo 2A4 crossover. :P

Thanks for the tips! (Wow, what are the odds of finding an armor mechanic on this site?) I'm not using a specific tank as a source of inspiration. I just want to make something that would make sense and look like something that could actually exist. I was pretty much just freestyling the shape, but trying to keep it plausible.

Here's what I did with the engine hatches:

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but that's how I interpreted it.

Currently the rear of the tank looks like this:

I pretty much have no idea if I'm even close to something sensible here... Where's the exhaust of a modern tank usually located? How does it even look like?

Rear looks like it should be. Exhaust ports might look simple, but they are passable. More common ones in main battle tanks are round ports with Y or X type dispersers.

And the vents were not exactly as I thought, but don't get me wrong. The model you did looks very good.

Also, you need to do hatch for driver. (Plus driver's optics, preferably 3 of them for maximum view. One to look straight forward, two looking away from middle, not directly to sides. Not really needed, if they're hard to do.)

Now, for the top of turret, put (two) entry hatch(es), periscope, sight slot for the main cannon and coaxial machinegun.

OPTIONAL: put an AA machinegun top, near entry hatches, smoke mortars (sides is the usual placement, but you might want to make something different) and rear some small storage compartment. Or sloped sides near rear.

And more optional: Put some reactive plating to sides and some slat armor as a finisher. Might make it look more rugged, though.

There's the essential things to note and to do for now. If you think I am missing something, or there's just some general questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

About the turret hatches, I've seen some pics of a solution where one of the hatches is slightly elevated, and there are 8 view ports around the elevated part. How common of a solution is it?
Also, is the shooter's view slot right in the middle of the turret, or would the rising barrel block the view that way? Would the singular shooter view slot have to be there if I'd use the 8 slot thing?
How about a small radar? Something in the shape of this: http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/photo-g/boat-radar-antenna-mount-aluminium-22039-2896457.jpg

I don't know enough if the newer armors support some radar system, but I don't mind it.
Commanders have the most of view ports, I don't remember the minimum amount, but more than enough to get good view. Eight is sufficient.
And gunners have least one view port, depending on which side they seat. But might not be necessary in your design. You probably mean the aiming system? Sunken, near the cannon... Better seen in this pic. And the auxiliary aim system is right next to barrel.

Oh and forgot one thing to add: The antenna or two. :P

I think I'm done with the top of the turret for now. Time to move on to the sides of the turret! Maybe some steps on the side where the commander's hatch is? Six smoke mortars with three on both sides near the rear of the turret?

Oh boy, you surely know how to work with voxels.

Go on pal, steps or hang rails to both sides, and the smoke mortars, and we're looking some beauty.

Update! Finally finished the darn tank! This one was especially hard to make because of all the little details and my lack of tank knowledge. Comes in 3 colors: plain green, desert camo and forest camo. It will be included in Beta 3 when it eventually comes.
Special thanks to CorSair for consulting on the details!

Update! Made a forklift. Unlike the other models, it doesn't have color variations. It will be eventually added to the pack in Beta 3.
This one was a fast and relatively easy one to model compared to the last few models.

I fell in love with these models! <3

Which ports are able to handle them? Only ZDoom? Maybe Odamex?

First time I ever heard of Odamex. Gotta google that. Anyways, as far as I know, these only work with source ports that support the KVX format fully.

Odamex haven´t almost all the features from zdoom, if you see the sloope suport is new lol... (100% no voxel suport)
Well This modelos looks great D:, I´ll see how does it looks like on a opengl render :D

Update! Made a bulldozer for the pack. Like the forklift, it only comes in one color. It will be eventually included in Beta 3.

Awesome - the tanks are especially cool since they remind me of the miniatures my mom bought me when I was a kid.

NerdKoopa said:

First time I ever heard of Odamex. Gotta google that. Anyways, as far as I know, these only work with source ports that support the KVX format fully.

Spoiler: this is limited to ZDoom, GZDoom, and a few rather obscure forks of GZDoom such as Tower of Babel and GZDoom for OS X.

I've already found a use for the cars. I realised they'd help me sell the opening scene of Prime Directive. I ended up having to split the sector those cars traverse up in to smaller sectors as GZDoom chugs when it tries to render too many voxel objects.

Any chance of getting that forklift in a less-garish colour?

Wow! That is awesome! Liked and favourited. Maybe the forklift just looks a bit too bright against the grey walls, but I guess I could make an alternate one with the colors of the UAC truck.

Update. The forklift now comes in 7 colors instead of only one. I'm still not sure if I'll give the bulldozer alternate colors.

Looks like the start-line of some sort of warehouse drag race. Containment area shenanigans? Now if you were to put a zombieman inside the fork lift... Great stuff.

Update. Decided to give the bulldozer alternate colors after all. It now comes in 6 colors instead of only orange.