Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

Update! Added a modern pickup truck in 10 colors to the pack. Screenshot in the first post.
I think I'm done with the basic cars portion of the pack. The next vehicles to be added will be aircraft!

Update! Added a plane in 8 colors to the pack. Holy crap this was a hard one to model! It's loosely based on Cessna 172.

Oh crud.... I just ran into a weird rendering issue with the finished helicopter. Lemme give you some background info first. The main rotor is a separate voxel model from the actual helicopter. This way the rotor can be rotated separately from the main model. This is also to get around the 256^3 voxel limitation of SLAB6. Now, here's where things get odd....

At first glance the helicopter might seem normal, but....

Surprise! The rotor actually renders through the body! And then there's a twist....

I thought that when looked from above, the body would render through the rotor. As you can see, this was NOT the case. (I turned the rotor a bit for this shot.)

I'm not sure what causes this, or how to fix it. If I can't find a solution, I might have to axe the helicopter completely. And I really, REALLY don't want to do that after all the effort I put into it! Any suggestions are welcome!

These are really fantastic! I love how voxels look and they fit Doom very well. They have that sprite-vibe but, well, they aren't sprites!

From seeing all the vehicles and now the helicopter, I can't help but think these would be really cool in a sort of GTA-style mod :D

Major update! Added a helicopter in 6 colors plus UAC theme to the pack. I originally intended for the rotor to be a separate model, but rendering issues wrecked that plan. This has been by far the most difficult vehicle to model.

Also, BETA 1 IS HERE! http://www.mediafire.com/?mctz1517dypdva5
The final version of the pack will have the demonstration level as a separate WAD, but currently it's a part of the main WAD.

PS: Added a simple logo to the first post.

This stuff is great. Any plans for some more sci-fi stuff that could be used in a techbase setting? Small UAC landing craft, lunar buggies for Phobos surface travel? (and no, I don't mean Maes stupid hover-scooter!) etc.

Captain Toenail said:

This stuff is great. Any plans for some more sci-fi stuff that could be used in a techbase setting? Small UAC landing craft, lunar buggies for Phobos surface travel? (and no, I don't mean Maes stupid hover-scooter!) etc.

Actually, my intention is to make a futuristic, military-esque VTOL next. I might also make a futuristic armored UAC truck, or maybe an UAC APC or something.

Update! Made a new vehicle, an armored UAC truck. It will be implemented in Beta 2 among with other vehicles.

As I've already said, the vehicles are amazing. Downloaded the beta and really liked what I've seen. Only (as a true technical meddler :)) I would recommend to do something with the collision detection. For example you can make the actor spawn two (or more) invisible actors behind and in front of it, or do what Captain Toenail suggested on the previous page. Or you can also make the vehicles SHOOTABLE and with NODAMAGE flag, so bullets won't pass through it. Or add CANPASS flag so the vehicles could be stacked one on another. Just suggestions ;)

Have to weigh in here - these are truly great. :D At first I wanted to voice my grievances with the bright colors, but they've grown on me now that I realize that they actually fit in pretty much flawlessly with Doom's aesthetic.

I really love the van and the armored truck. Super stuff. ;)

I just tried to add those flags by myself to see the result:

Well, the voxels render improperly when looked from downside, and the cars bleed :D (but NOBLOOD flag can improve that)

I gave the vehicles proper collisions now with the right flags and bridge actors. The changes will be visible in beta 2 when it eventually comes. Right now I have to figure out a cool design for the UAC VTOL I'm about to make next.

Out of interest, can voxels have levels of transparency? Just wondering if a flat layer of semi-transparent black ones under the vehicles could serve as a shadow..

I just checked. Yes, ZDoom supports transparent voxels! However, the shadow would still have thickness, which would make it look bad.

Right, I figured it might. Guess its down to the mappers in that case

This is amaze-balls! Make a semi-trailer and a fire engine! (please)

With this sci-fi stuff, are you going with Doom's "the future according to the 80's" aesthetic?

I think Doom is more "future according to the 90's", but basically yes. I don't want to make something that would look like it was made by Aperture or something. That would really clash with the stock art assets.
EDIT: I don't think I can make a fire engine due to the 256^3 voxel limit of SLAB6, but a trailerless truck could be possible.

NerdKoopa said:

EDIT: I don't think I can make a fire engine due to the 256^3 voxel limit of SLAB6, but a trailerless truck could be possible.

That would be perfect actually! You can more or less make a trailer with zdoom's 3d floors as it is, with the advantage of being able to put powerups or monsters in the back for the noisy player. To that effect, if you do decide to make a truck, could you have a tire as just by it's self? it'd be useful for building a trailer and well as decorating a garage.

Hmmm... Looking back at the brown variation of the VTOL, I'm not entirely sure about the shade of the color anymore. Should I make it more sand brown and less... Well... Rust brown?