Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[WIP] Voxel Vehicles Pack (Beta 5 release)

Done. They are now in "Voxel Vehicles Pack" category with proper names. This will be visible in Beta 4.

Update. Made a semi truck. It's loosely modeled after Scania and Volvo trucks, because I'm more familiar with those (living in Finland and stuff). It will be included in Beta 4 eventually.

Cool. Too bad if a semi-trailer voxel is made, it won't be able to be placed "connected" to the tractor because of ZDoom's lack of Z-buffer. (Same deal as with the separate helicopter blades.)

Some interesting other tractor designs on wikipedia; I like the FAW truck, it looks like the kind of sturdy truck that would be used to reach remote locations through unmaintained dirt roads. (Probably because it likely is.)

SLAB6 has the option to save the model with one Mip or 5 Mips. I have no idea what a Mip is, but apparently the classic Build engine requires the latter one for the models to work, but the former one gives you a smaller file size. I've used one Mip and it has worked fine in ZDoom, but I haven't made any tests regarding clipping and the 5 Mips format. Would you happen to know what the whole Mip thing is about, and if it could solve some rendering issues?

NerdKoopa said:

Would you happen to know what the whole Mip thing is about, and if it could solve some rendering issues?

A mip is a lower-resolution version of the original. Used extensively in modern 3D consumer graphics on texture maps. It won't solve clipping issues, but it will help alleviate performance issues.

It's a term from image jargon; model jargon usually employs "LOD" for "level of detail" instead.

You should use 5-MIP for completed models. ZDoom accepts to work with 1-mip models, and they do take less space, but performances are better when the engine doesn't have to compute too much on the fly.

Well crap... That means I have to resave and re-import 130+ models. Making the next vehicle is gonna be delayed BIG time.

Huh.... Re-saving and re-importing 138 models took much less time than I expected! The models should be optimized now, but the WAD file size probably doubled. I hope it's worth it. The change will be visible in Beta 4 when I eventually get there.

Update. Made a sports car in 10 colors. It will be included in Beta 4 when I eventually get there. Let's see if you can recognise what car I based it on! (Hint: not a Ferrari)

Update. Made a limousine in four colors. It's bascally a very thinly disguised Lincoln Town Car. I only have one more normal car to make, and then I will release Beta 4.

MAJOR UPDATE! Beta 4 is now here!

Here's what's new:
* The file is now in PK3 format
* The vehicles are now divided into categories in Doom Builder 2
* The models are now more optimized
* Changed the shade of brown in some vehicles from crap brown to light golden brown.
* Five new vehicles. An ambulance, a semi truck, a sports car, a limousine and an SUV.

Check the first post for more info and new screenshots.

The link is in the first post, but I'll put it here too:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1csznhcqo1gpqv
Since it is now in PK3, just remove the maps directory from the file to get rid of the demonstration level.

Also, here's a pic of the SUV and its colors

Update. Made a snowmobile in 9 colors. It will be included in Beta 5 eventually. I also updated the "To be made" section of the first post.

scifista42 said:

EDIT: I have one off topic question for anyone whose native language is English: How is it with the words color/colour? :D

What Gez said is true. They are both acceptable spellings (even in America) but it is American vs. British Spelling. (American: "color"; British: "colour").

I apologise for not informing on the pack's state for a while. So far the snowcat has proven to be very difficult to model. Heck, the rest of the models will probably take more time to make than the earlier models combined! These are hard to make because I'm not as familiar with them as I'm with cars. I have to do some research and plenty of picture staring.
PS: does anyone have a good picture of the mechanism of a snowcat's plow? In every picture I've seen, the whole thing is always covered in snow.

Update. Freaking finally finished the snowcat! The tracks were not easy to model. Comes in four colors, and will be included in Beta 5 eventually.

Also, should I make a transporter version of this? I'd just have to remove the plow and add a passenger compartment.

Have you considered doing street furniture as a part of this pack? Things like streetlights, traffic lights, stop signs etc.

Not that I'm trying to find you more work to do... or that I would even use any of this stuff myself, but it is intriguing watching the collection grow.

I'm planning on making another voxel pack after this one is done. It will be called Useful Voxels Pack. It will contain things like furniture, signs, traffic stuff and so on.

Update. Made a snowcoach version of the snowcat. Comes in 4 colors plus one UAC variant. Will be included in Beta 5 eventually.

I'm going to need some help here... My lack of hovercraft knowledge is keeping me from moving on. The hovercraft that I'm going to make is going to be about this size:

Here's the problem: From all the pictures I've seen of hovercrafts of this size, I can't find the air intake for the cushion. Where the heck do these things take their air from?! The intakes are visible in most larger models, but not smaller or medium sized ones. I tried to find good blueprints, but this was the best I was able to find:

From what I understand, in smaller models some of the thrust of the main propeller is directed under the craft. I have no idea if that's the case for the medium sized models, like what I want to make.
If there's anyone with more hovercraft knowledge out there, any tips or suggestions are more than welcome.