Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Exotic gourmet meat

What would you like your "beef" patties to mainly contain? Beef can no longer be #1!  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like your "beef" patties to mainly contain? Beef can no longer be #1!

• Horse,Donkey, Zebra etc.
    • Jackal, African Wild Dog, Dog, etc.
    • Water Buffalo, Bison, Wildebeest etc.
    • Gazelle, Antelope, Muflon etc.
    • African Rock Python, Anaconda, Rattlesnake, etc.
    • Scorpion, Earthworm, Grasshopper, Cockroach etc.
    • Baboon, Gorilla, Chimpanzee etc.
    • Mouse, Rat, Beaver, Squirrel etc.
    • Roadkill (in addition to any of the above)
    • Poached game (in addition to any of the above)

Megalyth said:

I would try, and probably enjoy, everything on this list, with the exception of roadkill, which I'd only eat if I was starving or in a survival situation.

Roadkill doesn't necessarily mean the meat has been festering.

I voted for the lot. Pretty sure I've hit six of the options anyway. It would be seven if you count other reptiles in with snakes. Crocodiles were interesting.

I grew up by a bison farm so it's not exactly a hard choice, and not exactly exotic. Bison meat is better than beef, at least for burgers. Hands down.

Anything that contains liver, and are made to liver casserole. Don't care if it is poached or roadkilled.

I voted for poached game among other options, because if something has been slaughtered illegally then its carcass might as well be put to good use.

I think I'd eat anything else on the list except for insects. Besides me being an arachnophobe and an insectophobe, I can't imagine they have a lot of nutritional content considering the amount of meat on them; perhaps less so than prawns or shrimp (which I enjoy, hypocritically).

I don't get it. How do you manage to associate crustaceans with insects and spiders, apart from appearing to have more legs than necessary?

Not all crustaceans live in the sea. The distinction between land-based crustaceans (such as woodlice) and insects becomes a little too semantic for me - or at least where eating them is concerned.

All the more nonsensical that I'm happy to eat an insect a crustacean so long as it's aquatic.

Avoozl said:

More votes seem to be going for "Water Buffalo, Bison, Wildebeest", I honestly don't see how that's exotic meat.

If you live in boring commie Greece (or Europe), all of these animals are exotic or at least unusual (OK, in the end they are little more than wild cattle, but still).

Wildebeest should be in the next option down (since they're a large antelope) with maybe the musk ox put in its place.

Any thoughts as to what mythical creatures might taste like? Would unicorn be more palatable than horse? Does Bigfoot taste like mountain gorilla?

DoomUK said:

All the more nonsensical that I'm happy to eat an insect a crustacean so long as it's aquatic.

Does that include aquatic woodlice?

Any and all of the choices. I'll eat anything once and more than once if I like it. :)

GreyGhost said:

Does that include aquatic woodlice?

Ok, I'm cornered. My selectivity encompasses more than even what the food's original habitat was.

Octopuses are also unappetising for me. Though not squid. Being a fussy eater is the cross I must bear.

It's a personal goal of mine to devour the meat of every type of animal on the planet (within legal boundaries of course). On the top of my list is bear, dear, horse, rabbit, and buffalo. One day, I'd like to cook a snake over a campfire and eat it Big Boss style. I'm also a firm believer in making insects common in North American cuisine, but haven't tried any myself.

I voted for everything but roadkill.

Coopersville said:

I voted for everything but roadkill.

Don't know why roadkill gets such a bad rap. Admittedly, mashed critters don't look appetizing and you'll probably want to avoid those that have already been scavenged, but a fresh kill that's just bounced off your fender is worth grabbing (think of it as poaching with an automobile). Unless your roadkill's escaped from a factory farm it's bound to be free of antibiotics and whatever else is used to promote unnaturally rapid growth in livestock.

Question: How many hillbillies does it take to eat roadkill?

Spoiler

Two - one to do the eating, the other to watch for traffic.

In my mind, I was visualizing something already found dead on the road somewhere, and being unsure how long it's been dead. Straight off the hood of my truck is fine, though I still wouldn't personally know how to check if the animal was sick or has parasites.

Coopersville said:

In my mind, I was visualizing something already found dead on the road somewhere, and being unsure how long it's been dead.

This should come in handy:

Forensic entomology