Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

What's you favorite song from the Doom games or PWADS? Also, Odamex on my birthday!

I guess I know how to celebrate my birthday... playing some fraggin' Onslaught 2 FFA! Obviously that's not really that important... heh.

BUT: Here's a question: What's you favorite song from the Doom games or any custom mod?

I have way too many favorites, every Doom song is awesome in it's own way! But, I did really enjoy "Between Levels" from MAP04 from Doom 2.

It's a draw between 'Suspense' and 'Sign Of Evil'. Yes, it's a cliche choice to go for these two tracks, but their use was particularly striking for me during my early days, all those years ago.

No way can I narrow it down to just one, so here's a list

IWAD
E1M8: Sign of Evil (Doom) -> Although Light Delta's remake really is the stuff

MAP04: Between Levels (Doom II) -> Very good from a musical point of view
MAP05: DOOM (Doom II) -> I just love the melody in this song.
MAP30: Icon of Sin (Doom II) -> Very eerie.
D2 Endgame -> Gets gradually more awesome as it progresses

TNT01: "Sadistic" -> Awesome track.
TNT Stats "Legion of the Lost" -> I don't think this needs explaining

PWAD
Community Chest 4 MAP02 - Sandrock's Theme -> Very catchy
Back to Saturn X MAP09 - Untilted -> Just..holy shit Jimmy...

Iwad:

Ultimate Doom: E1M3, E1M6/E3M6, E2M2, E2M5/E4M7, E2M6/E3M7/E4M6
Doom2: Map03/21, Map05/13, Map10/16, Map18/27, Map20/26
TNT: Map04/13/29, Map08/27, Map10/18, Map20, Map22/28, Map31

Pwad:

Speed of Doom Map14, 18, 19, 24, 31, 33
Alien Vendetta Map10, 20, 31, 32
Scythe 2 Map14, 15(Gut Wrencher from Duke Nukem 3D is always my favourite song), 27
Epic 2 Map03, 05, 11, 15, 17, 18(Best song of this wad), 19, 20, 24, 27, 32
Community Chest 2 Map24, 32
Community Chest 3 Map01(It's Water World from Duke Nukem 3D, Toxic Dump level of Total Meltdown), 02, 08, 10, 17, 19(Again Duke Nukem 3D music, the abyss with Battlelord fight), 20(The Unforgiven by Metallica!!!), 24(E2M2 remixed!!!), 25, 27, 31
Community Chest 4 Map02, 14, 15(METALLICA!!!! CREEPING DEATH!!!), 17, 20, 21, 22, 25(HR2-Like), 30, 31
Whispers of Satan Map08, 10, 12, 13, 14, 19, 22(E2M2 remixed), 25, 27, 28, 30, 31(Star Wars???), 32
2002ADO E1M3, E1M6, E1M7, E1M8, E1M9/E4M9, E2M2, E2M3, E2M4/E4M6, E2M5/E4M8, E2M7/E4M5, E3M2/E4M2, E3M3/E4M3, E3M5, E3M7

etc.

Yeah, gotcha :D Message to Arch-Vile is my favourite one. Along with map30 and e2m1 musics.

Doom 2 - into sandy's city and getting too tense
tnt - infinite and hells bells
Ultimate Doom - I like the whole soundtrack but can't pick out a standout song.
When it comes to pwads, I really like mark klem's, james Paddock and Stewboys music, they really seem to have a knack of making great doom music. Also Gwyn Williams for the music in Vile Flesh.
When it comes to usuing music from other games, it really depends on the level and whether it suits the environment so I shall select a couple of wad authors who have a good taste in music for doom.
Erik Alm, Scythe 2's music is amazing
Eternal - Always chooses good music and no surprise that a lot of music used in maps I make have been used in their work too before.

I've always thought Dark Halls was sinister as hell. Probably my favorite from Doom 1, maybe next to The End of DOOM, which is just a fucking awesome composition overall.

From Doom 2 it's hands down Into Sandy's City. Dat fucking harpsichord with dat beat.

Happy Birthday.

For me, my favourite music is:
Doom:
E1M01 At Dooms Gate
E1M04 Kitchens Ace (and Taking Names)
E1M05 Suspense
E1M06 On the Hunt
E2M07 Waltz of the Demons
E3M02 Donna to the Rescue
Endgame Bunny (How can nobody like that?)

Doom2:
Map01 Running From Evil (currently my phones ringtone)
Map03 Countdown to Death
Map05 Doom
Map08 The Dave D Taylor Blues
Map10 The Demons Dead

Can't really remember any doom music outside of the above games.

D_MESSAG, the music from MAP20 and MAP26 of Doom II, is my favorite track from the original games. The slow build through different segments is a perfect accompaniment for big, adventurous maps.

RTC-3057's soundtrack by Julian Hope is easily one of my favorite PWAD soundtracks. I know he's embarrassed by the mixing in it nowadays because it's old and not up to the production standard he's been doing for Phobos, but it does a great job of setting up RTC's atmosphere of isolation and was one of the early influences on my own composing. "Continuum" and "Guardian" are two of my favorites from it, but it's all great stuff.

Back to Saturn X has a lot of my favorite PWAD songs, though quite a few of the ones I'd choose aren't available to the public yet :)

Doom I
-D_E1M5: It's a brilliant atmospheric track that definitely fits it's name.
-D_E2M2: It just sounds cool. What more reason do you need?
-D_E2M8: See above.
-D_E3M3: Also above. X-D
-D_BUNNY: >:-D
Doom II
-D_TENSE: Pretty much the ultimate hellish music.
Misc
-Eclipse MAP02 music: Just an awesome sounding track that could fit a boss battle easily.

Iwads: The Ultimate Doom, Doom2, tnt, PSX Doom/Final Doom, Doom64. Pwads: Requiem (level 2 is my favorite), baseshock.wad, paradisum.wad.

I'll stick to the IWADs for now, though I might come back with some PWAD selections if any jump out at me later.

Doom
E1M2: It conveys a cool yet ominous atmosphere, as if you've prepared for a dangerous mission ahead.
E1M9: This is probably my favorite of the metal tracks in E1. It's just a lot of fun to listen to.
E2M4: I'm a sucker for haunting choirs, and while the track does run the risk of becoming too repetitive, I think it sets the tone perfectly for a strange, somewhat scary map.
E3M3: Fucking Slayer, man.
Victory Music: There's a sense of bleak despair here that just works perfectly. Easily in my top 5 Doom tracks of all time.

Doom II
MAP02: See E1M2, although I think this one has a nicer, more interesting progression.
MAP04: Just a fun, groovy track that's woefully underused.
MAP09: That harpsichord works amazingly well. The track overall has a great adventurous feel.
MAP18: Dark, quiet, and a little eerie - not to mention better than the Pantera song it's derived from. :P

TNT Evilution
MAP01: I like all of the original music here, but I think that this is a stellar metal track for any first map.
MAP04: I like the sense of foreboding adventure into the unknown. I think it suits MAP04 especially well, with the whole wormhole gimmick.
MAP08: Just some straightforward, driving metal whose only sin is being too short. I think it could have been developed to last another minute or 2 longer.
MAP16: I could almost just copy and paste my MAP04 comments, but I think there's an extra feeling of quiet mystery here. Very compelling.
MAP21: This is another 'top 5' track for me, where classic Doom's concerned. It's simple, but sounds immense, otherworldly, and even melancholy.
MAP31/Intermission: I second Eris' comment. This one's just amazing.

Wow, some of these posts are enourmous.. I'll try to hold back on the ranting.

e1m7 - Awesome creepy militant ambience. The main melody gets stuck in my head a lot, often while thinking hard.

e1m8 - Wow, just wow. Creepy, daunting, epic.

I love ALL the Doom and Doom 2 music, if I had to shoot just one track off of my "it's badass" list, it would be Underhall's music.. What the hell is elevator music doing in Doom? Though, it is catchy and funny.

Also, you gotta love E3M2. Body Count in Doom? Lulz..

As far as PWADs go, I have good memories of me and my friends composing the music for 'Revenge of the 90's'. The more custom MIDI out there to use, the better. Two of my long time favorites are D5M1 and Hell Revealed 2 Map01.

esselfortium said:

D_MESSAG, the music from MAP20 and MAP26 of Doom II, is my favorite track from the original games. The slow build through different segments is a perfect accompaniment for big, adventurous maps.

This track always mystified me as a youngster. I'd really enjoy seeing someone play a cover that is accurate to the real thing, there are some ripping guitar licks in there, seriously. It would be accentuated perfectly by the slow/eerie beginning of the song.

Good idea for a thread!

Some favorites from the IWADs:

DOOM
One for each episode and an extra:
E1M4 - Kitchen Ace (and taking Names)
E2M8 - Nobody told me about id
Don't really have one for episode 3, so I'll put E1M9 here:
E1M9 - Hiding the Secrets
D_VICTOR - The victory music

DOOM II
MAP07 - Shawn's got the Shotgun
MAP10 - The Demon's Dead
MAP23 - Bye Bye American Pie
MAP28 - Getting too Tense
MAP30 - Opening to Hell

And some non-DOOM things but related:

Heretic
I like the music but I don't remember which map had which song.
I'll try and look up a few later.

Hexen
The music is alright but kind of boring to listen to outside of the game.

Hacx
MAP12 - Gothik Gauntlet is probably my favorite

cannonball said:

Erik Alm, Scythe 2's music is amazing

iirc erik actually had nothing to do with the music selection and instead had drew styx-vile pick all the tracks for him. so thank him instead :p

I'm not much of a Doom music connosiour. I grew up with Jaguar Doom and used to play with music off. But anyways...

E1M2 - I think this was the Jaguar credit music
E1M8 - Mournful boss music
E2M2 - Rediscovered this with progfic

MAP02 - There must be something about second levels
MAP07 - Smells of imminent danger
MAP30 - Pure evil. Closest Prince gets to ambience

I had to make a bit of an effort with music for the progfic project. There's some good music in there. Some favourites of mine are:

MAP05 - Too funky for Doom
MAP10 - Xan's powerful epic
MAP21 - Hard to pick a favourite from PRIMEVAL
MAP27 - Nice pick by Rambosee
MAP31 - Does whitedamp still make music for PWADs?

I've been listening to E1M9 "Hiding the Secrets" a lot lately. I particularly like 0:49 to 1:13. Then there's E1M1, E2M2 and E2M3.

And 'Read Me' and Map 10 "The Demon's Dead" from Doom II.