Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Thoughts on "Doom 3" after much time has passed

GoatLord said:

I mean, come on. Even at the time of ROE's release, CRTs had been out of phase for several years.

Have you forgotten about black-and-white touchscreens in the caverns? Now that was an anachronism.

GoatLord said:

This is getting super nerdy, but I not only thought it was stupid to slap a monitor on a demon in a vague attempt at suggesting the merging of monster/machine, but it was a CRT monitor. I mean, come on. Even at the time of ROE's release, CRTs had been out of phase for several years. If they really wanted to go for some horrific melding of technology and biology, take a cue from H. R. Giger, or perhaps Jeff Goldblum's transformation in "The Fly."

I never played ROE, but I know what monster you're talking about. I always took the monster designs to be more nightmarish than realistic. Kind of like a Hieronymus Bosch painting - sure there are more believable and efficient designs for killing and inspiring terror, but this is just a sort of vision of Hell. Even within the confines of the game's world, I never took the demons to be 'real' if that makes any sense...

See also: Any horror game with chains. Outside of certain industrial and mechanical application, who uses chains anymore? Answer: Doesn't matter; looks and sounds cool.

A clunky monitor on a demon doesn't look cool, though, just really uninspired. That idea could have worked with a bit of imagination.

Well, now we're getting into matters of taste. Personally, I thought it (CRT-face) looked neat in the press shots. But then again, I thought most of Doom 3's monster designs were fun as well. Whereas many people viewed them as childish.

Da Werecat said:

Have you forgotten about black-and-white touchscreens in the caverns? Now that was an anachronism.

There were also CRTs elsewhere in the game - such as the one in the canteen in Mars City. The UAC are apparently too cheap to invest in LCD televisions.

Anyway, I maintain that the bruiser's design was a good one. The monitor-for-a-mouth gave it a sort of corrupted RoboCop2 vibe.

DoomUK said:

There were also CRTs elsewhere in the game - such as the one in the canteen in Mars City. The UAC are apparently too cheap to invest in LCD televisions.

Maybe in the future, hipsters have become such a large market demographic as to make these 'retro' looks attractive to corporate consumers.

A Hellish vision of the future, indeed.

schwerpunk said:

See also: Any horror game with chains. Outside of certain industrial and mechanical application, who uses chains anymore? Answer: Doesn't matter; looks and sounds cool.

Were they used in medieval jails?

GoatLord said:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Here's some more thoughts:

• Haven't found a single easter egg yet. What's up with that? Do I just suck at finding secrets, or am I just too used to locating them using old-school "Doom" methods? Or are they just really well hidden in "Doom 3"?

There is one huge in the end of Doom 3 in the archeological tablets displayed at some moment (don't remember the name of the map just before reaching Site 3). If you observe them the carving of the "hero" who thought demons is the Doom Guy as depicted in the Ultimate Doom screen title.

• Don't understand how the developers didn't notice the poor ammo distribution. I end up barely using the chaingun because I've found so little ammo for it.

There are plenty of it but they're quite well hidden.

• I'm fighting revenants now, so I'm fairly far into the game, and the only hell stuff I've seen have been a couple ritualistic looking scenes and the infrequent flesh texture. What's up with that?

I disagree. The progression of the "reality alteration" in the base is really well depicted imo. But things get more crazy after coming back from Hell.

• The variety of human enemies is admirable, but it's odd that the marine zombies have decent AI (at times) and are quick to the draw, but the engineer/scientist zombies exhibit the typical derp-derp, outstretched arms, moaning and groaning bullshit. It's corny. [/B]

No, that's zombie. :P

Actually I never really played Doom 3 comparing it to Doom and Doom 2 because they're just totally different games. My favourite Doom is the Ultimate Doom but I think that Doom 3 is pretty good. I love the atmosphere here and I never had any trouble regarding any weapons , even grenade that I ended up finding pretty useful in some areas after replaying the campaign some times. Regarding the mapping is linear though has many "secret" areas to find and I'm sure that not everybody found the plasma gun in Alpha labs or the chaingun situated before the trap in Alpha labs too. Ammunitions and weapons ARE well distributed if you simply don't rush in the "linear" maps.
My first runthrough ,I barely had enough ammo for chaingun etc... but the following one I got enough to play often with it and more the next play etc...
Actually my first thought was "duh it's linear" until I find all this little details that make the maps much wider than we could think in first place.

Just forget Doom and Doom 2 , Doom 3 is a good game just....they tried something different.

The bruiser monster would have made a lot more sense had they kept their original plans. From a Doom wiki:

"Seen early in Doom 3's development, the Bruiser's unique TV-like mouth was intended to be another way of surprising the player. The player would walk up to what appeared to be a typical computer terminal, and the terminal would change and the Bruiser would reveal its entire self. This, however, was later dropped and thus does not happen in any point in the game."

source: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Bruiser

^I've heard of this being in one of the early trailers or promo shots or something before, anyone have more info?

I wonder why they dropped that? It would've been really cool.

And I personally really like the Bruiser's design. It's not really scary, but just kinda crazy and stuff...I dunno. I thought it was a nice change since it looked really unique compared to a lot of the monsters in Doom 3. I keep confusing Arch-Viles for Imps.

Slippy_Pig said:

I wonder why they dropped that?

Getting such an idea implemented properly would've involved too much work. It's not like they're professional video game developers whose job it is to make cool things.

The problem with the bruiser for me is that it hardly appeared. In fact, I think he only came around at the near end of the game for like three appearances. Too many of those crawly things I don't remember the name of.

DoomUK said:

Getting such an idea implemented properly would've involved too much work. It's not like they're professional video game developers whose job it is to make cool things.

lol
I have no idea what's going on on iD these days. People like to blame Tim Willits or something.

Clonehunter said:

The problem with the bruiser for me is that it hardly appeared. In fact, I think he only came around at the near end of the game for like three appearances. Too many of those crawly things I don't remember the name of.

Vulgars? They were fun to dodge and counter-attack.

Avoozl said:

ROE was just too short.

Not so much for an expansion pack, but indeed it is for the old days where expansions where the size of a full game (Quake, Quake 2, Duke 3D, etc).

I really dig Doom 3. Especially at the time, hitting before Half-Life 2, Doom 3 was the best FPS campaign in years at that point.

It's got plenty of atmosphere, I like the gameplay, thumbs up from me.

Slippy_Pig said:

I wonder why they dropped that? It would've been really cool.

And I personally really like the Bruiser's design. It's not really scary, but just kinda crazy and stuff...I dunno. I thought it was a nice change since it looked really unique compared to a lot of the monsters in Doom 3. I keep confusing Arch-Viles for Imps.

I would've loved to have had the Arch-Viles run fast like they did in Doom 2. Damn that would created panic in those tight corridors heh.

The sound effects when picking up ammo are so good that I can't stop thinking about it haha.

MRB_Doom said:

The sound effects when picking up ammo is so good that I can't stop thinking about it haha.

Most of them are from Quake 2.

I quite enjoyed Doom 3 when I played through it recently, but what really got on my nerves was how the game telegraphs most of it's moves. there were plenty of genuinely scary and unnerving moments, but most of the time you immediately knew when enemies were just gonna teleport around you and you'd have to shoot waves of imps like a whack-a-mole game. Also, it is me, or does the BFG version give you way more ammo than in the original? I'm playing on hard and I'm stocked like a tank.

Sgt_BFG said:

I quite enjoyed Doom 3 when I played through it recently, but what really got on my nerves was how the game telegraphs most of it's moves. there were plenty of genuinely scary and unnerving moments, but most of the time you immediately knew when enemies were just gonna teleport around you and you'd have to shoot waves of imps like a whack-a-mole game. Also, it is me, or does the BFG version give you way more ammo than in the original? I'm playing on hard and I'm stocked like a tank.

You're right. BFG gives you a Hell of a lot more ammo and I have no problem with that :)

The first version of Doom 3 I played was the Xbox version, so BFG was like playing a different version. I noticed in BFG that you literally had to be dick-to-dick with an imp to be able to kill it with a shotgun blast on any difficulty. I found that to be a pain in the ass at times. I also noticed that it's a helluva lot harder to duck under imp fireballs compared to the Xbox version.

Playing BFG was like playing Doom 3 again for the first time because of all the differences between the two versions.

I think Id pretty much nailed down the classic Doom gameplay with Doom 3. You have the invasion of Hell and you have to deal with it by yourself while killing wave after wave of demons. I wish the game didn't have those stupid monster closets everywhere. >_>

I really find bfg edition to be the most pointless version to get, especially if you already have the original version, the extra episode does not make up for the lack of modifiability of the game and the original episodes were made to be far too easy in this version, the majority of the changes were mainly to make it easier anyway and some of those changes can be done via the command console of the original version.

I feel so old.

I remember waiting for this game like it was yesterday. Glaring at the promotional shots, admiring the style - everything felt so radically advanced back then.

Da Werecat said:

I feel so old.

I remember waiting for this game like it was yesterday. Glaring at the promotional shots, admiring the style - everything felt so radically advanced back then.

It WAS advanced. At the time, it was the best-looking game ever made, and one of the most atmospheric too, much better than Half Life 2 in every regard except animations. In retrospect, I keep wondering why people thought HL2 was better than Doom 3. It sure had its fair share of flaws.