Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

maps from a 12 year old tango

i made some wad in 6th grade called Adobe but due to some hard drive failures and previous websites shutting down etc, it was lost for a while. i found it via the wayback machine on one of my old websites and have had it for a while but keep forgetting to release it. so here it is

7 maps for zdoom, has some monster resource wad stuff in it too. other than the monsters there's really hardly any reason for it to be zdoom but i was 12 so i didn't give a shit about vanilla since zdoom was so shiny at the time

it was probably sometime about a year after the 7 maps were essentially "finished" that i went back and added some vine textures/very minor detail to parts of the maps. other than that i believe 99% of this was all done in 2005. i'm guessing the bulk of it was also done in the span of a month or two because i pooped these out pretty fast iirc

for now i'm just putting this out here as-is but if you find any bugs that's cool too, i can try to fix it up. otherwise everything is left as i found it, complete with the 2007 textfile and everything.

screenshot
another screenshot

download

here's a link to the project page on my former dmclub website, for the curious

Holy moly I remember this.

Well that's all I got to say about it right now, I gotta play through it again :P

All maps look the same, use very few textures and feature ridiculous amounts of symmetry. The theme is nice but it stays the same and never expands. Gabrielle > 12 year old Tango.

you mean like, 30 year old man > 12 year old tango

my former self's feelings are hurt, memfis

Memfis said:

All maps look the same, use very few textures and feature ridiculous amounts of symmetry. The theme is nice but it stays the same and never expands. Gabrielle > 12 year old Tango.

Ahaha, the irony.

Wow, it's funny to see some more examples of 'ancient' maps. Your 12 year old self was a lot better than my 15 year old self at mapping, or at least making your maps decent on the eyes.

At map03, it hit me that I have played this before as well, probably back in 2007 or so. What a nostalgic feeling! Nothing bad about these, besides a bit too much symmetry (as mentioned) and cramped level design, which I also had a lot of trouble getting around as a youngster.

Overall, it's still a nice SP map set that has aged pretty well. I had fun with it, at least!

Well, if Matthew Tropiano was a "wonder child" back then in 1998, when he actually mapped DOT.wad at the age of 13, actually you've surpassed it. Even I was stunned, since my very-first attempts of mapping were nothing related to this.

if you REALLY want to see some shitty preteen wads someone made, they're mine, try erlywads.wad on the archives lol

Holly hell! I envy you guys who had the recources and ambition at that age! When I was 12 it was 1997 and my family wouldn't have a computer for another two years. I had only played the first Doom a few times on my uncle's computer and would've never dreamed of the possibilities of today. I was plucking on guitars and eating ice cream sandwiches during commercials of Family Matters when I was 12.

This wad is surprisingly fun, by the way.

Me myself at the age of 12, sincerely, was about to create some kinds of levels, but at the lack of needed resources, I just sketched some drawings in a spiral checkered notepad.

I have always enjoyed Tango maps. All of them. Everyone goes through learning curves when mapping. Tango's seemed to be rather short before he got the hang of good mapping.

Here are a couple of other maps from young mappers:

citadel1.wad 4/20/95 By, 12 year old Max Parokonny, U.K.

Real World wad, rw.wad by 13 year old, 2003, Alexis Neuhaus
This one needs little introduction.

and out of seemingly nowhere, searcher shows up to be a real nice guy :p thank you all though.

doomkid, i'm sure we played this together at least a handful of times on Doom Connector way back when

downloading now.... definitely ready for this lol. I like old maps that were not up to par, they seem funner to me for some reason.