Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
levir

ridiculed for doom

I didn't mean to say Minecraft was bad. (Quite the opposite actually... if only just a little misguided and unoptimized.) I actually went to a FIRST Tech Robotics Competition (I was lead programmer) and the host of the state competition gave every team access to their wifi, so I downloaded ZDoom, PRBoom+, and a few megawads to screw around with during down time. (I keep DOOM2.WAD in my Dropbox for such emergencies.) I certainly got a few "Oh sweet! Doom!"s but then when I busted out Brutal Doom and explained how strong the Doom community has gotten, they were really interested.

The most disturbing reaction to saying I play Doom was a blank stare from a student and a, "Sorry, what's that?" I explained what it was, mostly attempting to jog their memory, but they honestly didn't know. I realize not everyone is exposed to the same media, so I don't hold it against him, but somehow I found it a little demoralizing, heh. Like, how does someone play games and not even know about this?

Guy had to be in his mid-twenties...

As for the girl, she's very supportive of my playing and mapping for an older game, despite being only 21. She's into 'retro' games herself (Megaman, Earthbound, etc.), so maybe that gives me an edge. She's made me promise to show her how to make a map at some point (with ACS scripts, oh boy), and even offered to provide original music for a level if ever I like. I didn't have the heart to tell her that there probably isn't a lot of demand for "I Sawed the Demons" in bari sax, heh.

All of my friends played Doom, so they are cool with it.

Recently I was in an internet cafe, and I saw a guy playing Doom, using PrBoom, playing E4M2. I was in a rush, but now I regret not going up to him and talking to him. Might have introduced a new guy to the Doomworld community.

Nomad said:

Usually when I tell people that I still play Doom, they for some reason think I'm talking about Doom 3, and usually their response is "Oh, that's cool."

I almost WISH I'd get that "OMG HOW CAN YOU PLAY SUCH AN OLD SHITTY GAME SGPIOSDJGPIOJG" type of response.

OMG HOW CAN YOU PLAY SUCH AN OLD SHITTY GAME SGPIOSDJGPIOJG.

:D

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Might have introduced a new guy to the Doomworld community

Or you might have met Hellbent or Hobbs ;-)

An idiot friend who said "why you keep on playing that crap?" after seeing me playing it on my iPod. I replied, "Thanks to it, stuff like Call of Duty is popular". Back in early 2010, in my sophomore year.

Pavera said:

It's not something I usually bring up at parties or anything, but on the occasions where people do find out about my dooming it's been my experience that they find it to be a super cool old school hobby rather than something to be ashamed of. It's a video game, and people play those I think. You'd have to be pretty pea brained to make fun of somebody for it, especially these days.

Pretty much my experience.

People who ridicule Doom because it's old are actually making an ass of themselves, showing themselves to be the shallow numb-nuts that they are. Why should you care if they are picking on you because you play it? They are the ones being made fools of. ;)

Unfortunately, during the times I played Doom at school, I was about 13. As a result, most of the people who watched me play were too. :/

how do u no where all teh secretz r thatz just sadddd

You pick these things up after 5 or so years >_< Besides, it was Flash Doom. E-fucking-1!

*obnoxious tone* u run like rly fast

Yeah I can see that thanks. Personally I prefer this over walking in modern games but hey, each to their own...

You know what's sad? I wasn't even straferunning :/

teh graphcs on dis game r sht

OK granted. I'll admit it is not 1993 anymore and as such, the graphics are inferior but..heh...I don't actually care. Besides, they could be much worse.

Thing is though, I'm kind of glad about things like this. I take happiness in the knowledge that loads of people are too mesmerised by their new Call of Duty Bad Company 2: Warfighter or whatever-the-hell it is.

If Doom remained a phenomenon today like it was in 1993, how clogged up would the Doom Community be now? There would be too many WADs and mods to keep up with. Infact its possible that the sheer volume of users on Doomworld et al. would actually be counter-productive.

I've had a few friends think it looks old, but a lot of my closer friends were willing to try it out and liked it. We get together every now and then for some Stronghold or some DM.

Additionally, I had put Quake 1 on a 'hidden' shared folder back at my high school, and a few weeks later I'd hear about how people would be playing it in Web Design class, and once I opened it in TV Production downtime to see that there were 4 games going on the school network. I'd walk into the media center during lunch and people would be deathmatching each other yelling various obscenities. Later I'd hear about how people got suspended for doing this.

Keep in mind this was only about 4 or 5 years ago. I'm just as surprised as you are that so many people enjoyed the fun of it instead of complaining that "it looks like boxes"

Most of my friends don't even care, I think that's worse than being ridiculed.

On the other hand, I introduced my 7 year old son to DOOM, and he loves it. We play coop all the time.

Many of my friends are into gaming, typically at the casual level, and the ones familiar with Doom are impressed by the fact that I map for it, and find it interesting how much variety there is In the community. Even my girlfriend finds it intriguing, and considers the pinky her favorite enemy, but finds the Doom 64 version intimidating. I'm the only one who still plays it, but they are respectful nonetheless. Maybe it's because we live in North Texas, where id is practically next door. Amusingly, I remember a few schoolmates giving me crap about it in middle school (circa 1997-1998), because they were progressive gamers more interested in Quake and Goldeneye than a clunker like Doom. I was really offended when a friend of mine disgustedly referred to Doom 64 as "stupid," likely because of its old school aesthetics and mechanics.

Also, I'd like to add that anyone calling Doom's graphics ugly is clearly not artistically oriented. There is a real art to creating a consistent, competent, clean looking game using a very limited set of colors and pixels. Sonic the Hedgehog, Vector Man, Star Fox, Super Mario World 2, Commander Keen 4, Duke Nukem 2 and Samurai Showdown 4 all still look gorgeous, which most of Doom's dissenters will agree with because they're strictly 2D.

Friens/family make fun of me sometimes for still playing classic Doom. They just look at me funny and ask my why I still play that old game, it looks like shit and all that. At work I don't talk about classic Doom, only one guy had an interest in Doom. But that was Doom3 which he borrowed from me. Dutch classic doom players are alomst extinct I think.

GoatLord said:

Sonic the Hedgehog, Vector Man, Star Fox, Super Mario World 2, Commander Keen 4, Duke Nukem 2 and Samurai Showdown 4 all still look gorgeous, which most of Doom's dissenters will agree with because they're strictly 2D.

Most people who think Doom is shit because it's old typically feel that way about all old games, in my experience. At least their stupid opinions are internally consistent.

GoatLord said:

Even my girlfriend finds it intriguing, and considers the pinky her favorite enemy

She doesn't like Doom. She wants you to pay more attention to pinky.

One of my dreams is to somehow get my girlfriend into Doom mapping. This is likely a pipedream.

Hell, I'd be happy if I could even convert one of my platonic friends.

I'm a virgin, so excuse the ignorance. I kind of assumed you didn't have the audacity to joke about my girlfriend's vagina.

ANYway... It's not all that rare for an SO to be genuinely interested in something the other half is. For instance, when my girlfriend goes on about music I don't act interested simply because I'm trying to get with her. I think qoncept just couldn't pass up that pinky joke.

Back on topic, I really don't believe a love of Doom has to be justified, as long as it's the healthy, legal kind of love. In other words: fuk da haters

BloodyAcid said:

"You play Doom?"

"Yea"

"What's that?"

This one is the worst. I can handle someone disliking it, but not recognizing it? Where do I even begin! Usually I just don't.

I've noticed today's teens aren't really familiar with Doom in most cases. Some of them haven't even heard of Doom 3. Then again, the latest console I own is a PS2, so I guess I'm missing out, too.

I remember back in elementary school I uploaded HQ vids of myself UV-Maxing Doom 2 using Fraps. One of my friends from school, however, decided to troll me by saying stuff like "YOU SUCK, DOOM IS GAI". Funny because if you looked at HIS uploaded videos, apparently, his quality standard is "cheese slapping" and scaring one of his friends. -_-