Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

My First Map for Doom (Scorn of Baphomet)

Hello Everyone,

I have just completed my first map ever for Doom. It is entitled "Scorn of Baphomet", which is a Hell themed level that replaces E1M1. I have constructed it with Doom Builder 2, and I have used GZDoom to play it (IDK if that matters). Since I am obviously a newbie at this, I'll appreciate constructive criticism from you guys. I'm still trying to get the hang of this, so please excuse my amateurism. I hope you enjoy my map, and I will be looking forward to feed back!

Edit: I play tested this level with Brutal Doom, vanilla players will not enjoy it on the same level.

http://www.moddb.com/members/kontra-kommando/addons/scorn-of-baphomet-map

I think this map is waaaay too easy: there are 3 green armors, 1 blue armor, 1 berserk, a whole lot of medikits/stimpacks... And not a single dangerous encounter. I guess you aren't very good at this game?

I liked your grand architecture though, the main hall was really cool with interesting ceiling detail.

For your next map maybe try to make something less linear. There is only one way to play this map (find the blue key, open the blue door, find the red key, etc...) so the replayability is very low. Try to give the player some choices that lead to different outcomes. E2M5 and E3M6 are great examples of non-linear maps that can be played very differently.

Memfis said:

I think this map is waaaay too easy: there are 3 green armors, 1 blue armor, 1 berserk, a whole lot of medikits/stimpacks... And not a single dangerous encounter. I guess you aren't very good at this game?

I liked your grand architecture though, the main hall was really cool with interesting ceiling detail.

For your next map maybe try to make something less linear. There is only one way to play this map (find the blue key, open the blue door, find the red key, etc...) so the replayability is very low. Try to give the player some choices that lead to different outcomes. E2M5 and E3M6 are great examples of non-linear maps that can be played very differently.

Thanks for the feedback,

I kind of had it as a 1st level map in mind, that's why I didn't put in any cyber-demons and such. Moreover, I've been testing it out with Brutal Doom on Ultra-Violence difficulty, maybe I judged it too much off the the more advanced AI?

Next map I'll test it out on vanilla with hurt me plenty to gauge it better.

The map is alright, I feel like you have a good combination of textures, but it's plagued with a host of issues like crazy balancing, texture misalignment, death pits and many uninteresting dead ends. I think it's important to play a lot of other wads and see what you like/dislike and try and hone in on what makes them good or bad. The map is nowhere near terrible but like Memfis said it is very linear and is built around jumping/mouselook which can be a pain for us vanilla keyboard players (like walking down the stairs without looking down or getting caught in the blue key pit because we can't jump).

Also, try not to test out your level with any mods unless you specifically design them for it.

dobugabumaru said:

I think it's important to play a lot of other wads and see what you like/dislike and try and hone in on what makes them good or bad.

But it also can be dangerous because you might easily lose your personality (i.e. individual style) and just start copying the others. How many first maps that you've played were just blatant Simplicity rip-offs? I've seen a lot, they still appear on /idgames every now and then.

Okay, I see what you guys are saying now. I just got home, played it in vanilla, and beat it in 2:30. Nevertheless, I will revisit this map, and make some improvements. I would like to make a whole episode one day, and take what I learned here into consideration.