Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Untamed64

A bit of a noobish question

I apologize in advance for wasting your time with this..

Whats the difference between ZDoom and Boom?

What does Boom have that ZDoom doesnt?

Thanks

Boom was one of the very first source ports and the first to become a standard for mod making.

Because it became a standard, like Dehacked, modern and still active ports such as ZDoom, implement support for its features alongside their own now days, far more advanced modding features.

Hopefully the above is understandable; I decided to try to summarize, hopefully successfully.

I've done a small image to summarise relationships between major source ports, and BOOM compatibility.

There have been more complete genealogies than that one, but that is by far the best *looking* one I've yet seen. GhostlyDeath's has every port ever known to man but, as a result, it's almost unreadable with curvy lines going all over it and overlapping with each other to the point there being no way to distinguish the one you are following.

Quasar said:

GhostlyDeath's has every port ever known to man but, as a result, it's almost unreadable with curvy lines going all over it and overlapping with each other to the point there being no way to distinguish the one you are following.

Where could I find this genealogy? I've always wondered how complex it would be.

The graphic implies that Risen3D is only partially Boom compatible. Risen3D is fully Boom compatible ( with the exception of multiplayer support ). Also Risen3D does not use Direct3D. It's now OpenGL only for graphics.

Does DoomLegacy contain Heretic code ??? A can of worms ...
It contains switch stmts and some code that could have. Did other ports copy heretic functions outright ??