Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KING ELVIS

glDuke

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed already in the
past, but I think this is kind interesting in day of "Retro Gaming". So if anybody has comments to this, or also Duke 3D knowledge, post it here - that would be cool

The glDuke project can be found here:

http://www.thisstrife.com/glduke/

Hmm, it's a good effort on the part of the programmer, but I really don't see it going anywhere before 3DRealms release the full source code to Duke. Maybe after Duke Nukem Forever is released.

Duke Legacy would ROCK.

Originally posted by FlatHead
3DRealms release the full source code to Duke

They haven't? Why not. Lousy bastards...actually, they made a great game. Why am I bad-mouthing them? Eh.

The source code to Build was released, so they could recreate Duke3D from that point...

The original Duke 3d levels didn't come close to exploiting all of Build's awesome capabilites, even more so than Doom.

It would be great to see more DN levels being made.

Originally posted by Nuno Correia
The source code to Build was released, so they could recreate Duke3D from that point...

No, a game engine is more than the rendering code alone. To make a full-fledged source port (like ZDoom or Legacy) you need all the code that handles monster behaviour, special sector tags, the weapons etc. Recreating the entire game engine without that code would be guesswork at best.

Heh yah DNF has been in development for about 10 million years :P

Hmm, i wonder if it would be possible to make a Doom source port from the Build engine? Like, say, if the Build engine could be modified to read WAD files, and of course adding all the other Doom stuff... heh that'd be a fairly hard thing to do now come to think of it :/

Originally posted by Nuno Correia

Nah, the Build source code is a piece of $h1t. It consists of one incredibly long C-file, with no documentation/commenting whatsoever. There's no way to determine what functions do, assembler code is everywhere, it all looks like very ugly code. In comparison, the Doom source code is very clean, and the occasional weird functions are well documented.

Besides, the renderer is not the problem. The .con-compiler and the monster code is much harder to write, and no source was released from those parts.

FlatHead: that's what I meant. GLDuke has even more guesswork since they (whoever) didn't start from Build.

Arno: I had no idea, heh.