Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOUTEC

level name

Is there an easy way to edit the name of the level - like where it says 'ENTRY WAY' at the top of the screen at the start of a level?

Depends what you're targeting. If it's Vanilla Doom, you need a dehacked patch to do this. More advanced source ports will let you do it more easily.

Start with a web search for DEH (DeHacked) and BEX. Use whichever works on your target port (using only one). Both of these can be in the wad as a lump, or submitted to a port engine as a separate modifying file. Many ports accept both DEH and BEX.
On Vanilla doom, the actual dehacked program must be used with an external DEH file.
There are more complicated lumps (like DECORATE) that are used by a more limited range of ports.

SOUTEC said:

at the top of the screen at the start of a level

Intermission level names are stored in graphic lumps, so you'll need an image manipulation program.

It's something I always wanted to do to Fistful - to change the name of the level to 'Roy's Town' but I just can't do it.

You'll notice that everything in Fistful is called Roy - like Roy's Saloon etc and second level was gonna be called El Passo.

Maybe add a sticky to the top of this forum that answers the most common editing questions, much like there is a sticky for running Doom on Windows at the top of the general forum?

Vermil said:

Maybe add a sticky to the top of this forum that answers the most common editing questions, much like there is a sticky for running Doom on Windows at the top of the general forum?

I was just about to suggest the same thing. That would be incredibly handy!