Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zzzornbringer

Gifting Doom through steam for one poor german

hey,

if you're not aware, doom was on the german "index" for a very long time. basicly, the law said, doom is too brutal and it's not allowed to sell to minors (which removed it from all the stores). this isn't my problem though. back then, i didn't have a pc. i didn't know about doom anyways.

the game has been removed from the "index" in 2011 i think but it's effectively impossible to get a copy of doom in germany. it's not even available on steam, even though it should be as far as i'm concerned. you get a few boxed copies on ebay for like 60€ and more...

long story short. i'm looking for someone who can gift me a copy of the doom collection on steam for 14.99$.

it works like this: i pay 15€ (that's a little more than 15$ but that's for your efforts) in advance. simple as that. i use paypal and moneybookers (skrill).

so, let me know if you want to help out a poor german. :)

Edited by zzzornbringer

The closest match I can see on Steam is Doom Classic Complete for $19.99. If that's not available in Germany I don't know if gifting will help, since it might be subject to the same regional restrictions.

hmm, why does it show 19.99$ for you but for me only 14.99$?

(also weired that it shows the wrong total price)

i have to use a vpn to connect to the us steam site. it's a us ip from san jose, ca. with my original german ip, i can't even access the links to the product.

gifting should work. i have done it before via vpn but steam now checks the country that is associated with the paypal account. it doesn't work anymore.

i am not entirely sure though but this would be at my risk anyways.

zzzornbringer said:

hmm, why does it show 19.99$ for you but for me only 14.99$?

Probably because I'm in Australia, software's always more expensive down here.

You can easily check prices/availability in other regions by appending the country suffix to the url, e.g. store.steampowered.com/?cc=us. The classic Dooms are also available individually for $5 each. If someone gifts you the games, they can be used on a German Steam account without problems.

The advantage of getting DCC is that you get the Master Levels this way. They aren't sold separately and aren't included in any other pack anymore.

For the question of Steam prices, well, look here.

Doom Classic Complete

Genre: Action

Europe: € 14.99

USA, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine: $ 14.99 » EUR € 11.45 (-23.62%)

Great Britain: £ 9.99 » EUR € 11.47 (-23.48%)

Russia: руб 349.00 » EUR € 8.70 (-41.96%)

Brazil: R$ 24.99 » EUR € 9.77 (-34.82%)

So the best deal to buy Doom is to go through a Russian, but a Brazilian would also provide a good discount. :)

Du kannst Dir doch die BFG-Version kaufen und die IWADS (also die Haupt-Spiele-Dateien) für Doom und Doom2 mit anderen Ports nutzen.
Es gibt auch Patches, die die "kastrierte" BFG-Edition in die reguläre
V1.9 umwandeln...

TRANSLATION: Why don't u use the BFG-edition and patch it?

Technician said:

Germany sounds really unappealing.

It is the language of Goethe, Schiller and Lessing.
Just now, you've only read it, wait until you hear it.

zzzornbringer said:

i already own doom3 without steam drm and full modding support.

really, i just want the classic doom collection only.

BFG Edition is the only way to get a NEW, LEGAL version of Doom and Doom2 in germany.

There are many specialized shops for games that are on the index and/or rated "FSK18".
http://roteerdbeere.com and http://gameheaven.de probably have 2nd hand Doom Collectors Edition on stock.

BFG Edition is meh. I just don't get it that you can get a friend in say, Europe or America to buy the original versions for you, gift it and paypalling the money to him?

Mr. Chris said:

BFG Edition is meh.

Of course , it is 'meh'. But it is the only way to get the DOOM/DOOM2 iwads legally in germany (if you don't want/can't buy 2nd hand)...

DoomGater said:

Of course , it is 'meh'. But it is the only way to get the DOOM/DOOM2 iwads legally in germany (if you don't want/can't buy 2nd hand)...

actually it's not. gifting is a legal method as well.

vpn gifting for yourself is not however, at least for steam/valve.

you can purchase the game now but good luck finding a retailer selling 1993 boxed copies of doom either online or in your vicinity.

there is no way other than gifting. there are used copies for 60$+ on ebay. that's it.

about doom3 bfg: i don't buy out of principle. i own an original boxed copy of doom3 with it's massive 3 CD count. :D

You're wrong: A gift had a previous owner (the buyer/donor), so -to be precise- it is a second hand good. Of course it is legal, but -as you might read again- I wrote , that the BFG Edition is the only way beside a 2nd hand buy.

P.S: Please check your PM!

I will buy it for you with my credit card. All I want is that you send $15 (yes $ not €) to my paypal account. PM me for details.

Also the Steam is RACIST! for giving the worst deals to great citizens of mainland Europe. (like me)

Sokoro said:

I will buy it for you with my credit card. All I want is that you send $15 (yes $ not €) to my paypal account. PM me for details.

Also the Steam is RACIST! for giving the worst deals to great citizens of mainland Europe. (like me)

hey, thanks. PM is coming. i'll have to check how i can send you a different currency. never done this before in paypal.

cheers.

DoomGater said:

All because of a country that is ashamed of their past and can't get over mere pixels of Nazis and 3rd Reich wall textures. Being of German descent, this nonsense makes me laugh in a sad way.

Mr. Chris said:

All because of a country that is ashamed of their past and can't get over mere pixels of Nazis and 3rd Reich wall textures. Being of German descent, this nonsense makes me laugh in a sad way.

I can understand that they don't want to advertise their past imagery in the public square, after all, some people are still sensitive about it, but monitoring people's home entertainment is just ridiculous.

It should not be "Ban/remove X imagery" but "Keep it in your own home but do NOT display in public"

Mr. Chris said:

Technician said:

I can understand that they don't want to advertise their past imagery in the public square, after all, some people are still sensitive about it, but monitoring people's home entertainment is just ridiculous.

For me as a german it would really be no problem, but there are still to many idiots around who glorify the past as soon as someone shows a Hakenkreuz.

Oh please, not that bullshit discussion again. The laws are there for a reason and they are not stupid. Besides, the Doom games weren't 'banned' for the Wolfenstein levels or Nazi references, but for the glorification of violence.

But the actual problem here is that Steam isn't willing or able to implement a proper age verification system (well, and in this particular case still hasn't unlocked the game for this region) which would not only eliminate the giant hassle that getting proper versions of certain games currently is for Germans and Australians, but also potentially increase their revenue.

neg!ke said:

Besides, the Doom games weren't 'banned' for the Wolfenstein levels or Nazi references, but for the glorification of violence.

Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed the reason wasn't so lame.

hm, i think doom2 was also (and is still) banned for the nazi imagery. (the wolf3d levels have been removed from the bfg edition) doom1 didn't have a nazi level as far as i'm concerned. yea, this stuff is not allowed in games but in movies and television for documentaries. it's one of these stupid laws in germany that don't make a lot of sense. you kill nazi's in wolf3d but it was banned in germany for the nazi theme. hm, what do you make out of this?

i have to put out a general warning here.

i received the gift but the game does not show in my steam game list. so, valve does block this somehow. -.-

i'm going to write a support ticket and report back here how it went.

Really? That's pretty lame. The next thing you'll end up doing is someone actually sending you unaltered Doom.wad/Doom2.wad with optional German text WAD and that money going to Id directly.