Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Pop songs that fit Doom

I was listening to Kevin Carter by the Manic Street Preachers and I thought the tune (minus the horns) could work as a Doom midi. I've previously thought the same for Psycho Killer by Talking Heads and a few songs from the Exterminator album by Primal Scream.

There's plenty of obvious candidates in the metal genre since the actual Doom midi's were inspired by some of these but has anyone else had the same thought from slightly more left-field sources?

I like the use of "Smooth Criminal" in Kama Sutra, "Take the A Train" in The Deimos Subway, "Cars" in Tree3, "Fly me to the Moon" in Green Goddess, etc, etc... Jazz/pop music works great in Doom. :)

Because of this map, I will always consider Michael Sembello's "Maniac" a good replacement for E2M1 ;-)

Michael Jackson music works great in 1994-6 wads, which may also use MIDIs of his music :)

Looking at DWANGO, you can't go wrong with a mix about 40% hard/metal/grunge, 40% eurodance, and 20% miscellaneous stuff.

DoomUK said:

youtube: _pgPq4FGWfk

Haha, that's the clip where the blonde girl pee on the floor during her dance routine. Does anyone fancy a shake, indeed!

How about songs by Metallica? Some songs by Metallica were used in some Doom maps after converted to midi version, examples here:

Community Chest 3 Map20(The Unforgiven)
Community Chest 4 Map15(Creeping Death)
Most End1 and End2 maps(e.g. Fade to Black, Enter Sandman)

Gangnam style
ok not a good idea but it's in a doom wad now and there is nothing we can do about it :P

cannonball said:

Gangnam style
ok not a good idea but it's in a doom wad now and there is nothing we can do about it :P

Then PSY photos should be added, and the map should be set in......KOREA!!!

How about songs from Disney or Mary Poppins?

In my opinon, I don't think that pop songs would fit into Doom. But I guess if I come across some good pop song than maybe I'll put my suggestion. Maybe.

May be ..... "Marylin Manson - Sweet Dreams" ??

btw, If you try to choose pop songs to fit into Doom, it's very hard to find. So, pop songs aren't the best choices.
Also, it depends on what theme the doom wad is.

I remember a 1995 wad of a mall with 'YMCA' as the background music. It worked.

99% of 1996-98 wads use Nine Inch Nails midis for their soundtrack, so I'll always associate midis of 'Head Like a Hole' and 'Something I Can Never Have' as semi-official Doom BGM.

Any pop song slowed down enough usually works surprisingly well for Doom. The lower pitch of the instruments combined with the gutteral voices of the singers make for a good atmosphere, even if the song itself is anything but scary at normal speed. :)

the entire first side of Tubular Bells was packed into one of those Pleiades levels, I think! and I'm fairly sure I've heard Kraftwerk "Metropolis" as a MUS, too. Not "pop", perhaps, but definitely popular music by my standard!

Somebody suggested Manson's cover of Eurythmics earlier, but I would go with Eurythmics themselves. This one sounds a little E1-ish to my ears:

And because I'm already out of ideas...