Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lippeth

I want to play your first maps ever created!

I think it would be fun to compile a mapset of everyone's first attempts at mapping. An Archive wad, so to speak. Either way, I want to play them. They don't have to be good, just your first. If your first map has been compromised then your earliest work on record will do. Maybe someone can direct me to an archive that already exists, I'm mainly interested in the first maps by the top mappers on this forum, but I'd like to see them from anyone. Cheers, everyone!

My very very first map that wasn't an IWAD-hack experiment is long-gone; it went with my 486dx2 when the whole unit stopped working.

However, I can very easily recreate it if you're interested. It was so shitty and simple (I just wanted to see if it worked -- nodebuilders were picky for me back then) that I know exactly what it looked like/featured.

my very first map was an heretic map, but I deleted it long time ago, maybe I would recreate it

This isn't my first map but it is one of my first maps made way back in 1997. Some doofus reuploaded it for some reason I don't know.

The link is to three of the earliest maps I still have available.

You can tell that they are noobish from the very start, by the spotty, low quality of their designs. Though they're not terrible, except maybe the last one.

They occupy map slots 3, 5, and 6 of Doom 2, and you will need Zdoom in Doom format to play them.

Have fun!

http://wadhost.fathax.com/download.php?view.227

My first map was for one of the older The Ultimate Chex Quest releases for Legacy. It's bad. Really bad. It's not even completable, because you're stuck after getting the blue key.

Here you go. Not my first wad mind you, I made a crappy sprite replacement before then, but it is my first map. I also remade it as map 2 of this wad in 2008.

The original (2006):

The remake (2008):

Here's mine. It's not my first, but it is the oldest surviving map that I still have. It requires a limit removing port and the Plutonia iwad.

My actual first map is most likely never to be seen again; I've got the hard drive it was on, but it was wiped 3 or 4 times so I doubt my first few finished maps will ever be retrievable.

Witness the horror that is my FIRST MAP.

Now I'm still looking for an excuse to post PULSE.WAD...

[EDIT] Forgot to mention just for some form of interest, you should check out MAP01 of ETRNYOUR.WAD after playing this first level of mine.

Um, my first map consists of four sectors, an imp and an exit line... I dunno if I should upload?

Get DoomCAD and extract the tutgood.wad map from its package. My first map was basically an uglier version of that, since I followed the tutorial.

The entirety of the maps I made in the 90s is long dead and gone, destroyed by a reformat on a fateful day where my brother reinstalled Windows 95 without asking me if there was anything I wanted to backup before. Heh. Not that anything back then had much interest. The most ambitious map I remember was a hodgepodge of stuff: a recreation in green marble of the temple map from Shadowcaster (in all its orthogonality), branching into four random submaps: one was basically just a gratuitous large hall full of explosive barrels and shotgun guys (shoot once, admire the gibs); another was a little labyrinth where, once you reached the end, the walls collapsed to turn it into a huge room full of angry demons; there was a third part which I don't remember except for experimenting with sky floors, and the final fourth part was a great spiral (four-sided spiral all in diagonal line) full of imps, which slowly descended towards the center. Each segment of the spiral had a lower light level than the previous, so the center was completely dark, I liked the vaguely ominous effect this created.

This was my first attempt when I began mapping last year, and needs to be ran in Zdoom. Looking back on it, I still sort-of like a lot of what's going on, yet it's obvious that it's a newbie's take on how maps should be made (bad texturing, bad sector usage and design, etc.)

scifista42 said:

I posted mine here.

Also, some people posted them (or spoke about them) in this thread and we almost started a community project of recreating our old maps :)

There's also this old(er) thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/60996-post-your-first-map-or-remake-it-from-memory

I actually liked map 05 in the acid tunnels, I couldn't beat any map without cheating, I don't know if that was your fault or mine. An entertaining set, and you used a lot of the default startan, I see. I noticed you did similar things that I did when first mapping, like making the player think they're going to open a door and then, nope, a monster's behind you now. Thanks for the share.

darkreaver said:

Here is my (overrated) first map

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15983

Your first map makes most maps cry with jealousy. Epic, especially for a first attempt. You've obviously played the game a time or two beforehand to understand what makes it fun and how to make the player feel rewarded for overcoming challenges. I think this deserves a slow clap to a standing O. I'm really glad I played this.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16930

The street where you start at Map01 is the very first sector that I ever drew in Doom Builder 1.

Dude, your work is on a whole different plane than the rest. Raunchy, gritty, in-your-face, and above all else, fun. And now I can rest easy in the fact that you've always been that way. Thanks for that. I used your minigun sprites and a few sounds for a TC I'm still working on by the way, so thanks for that as well. It awaits your judgement here.

Mr. Chris said:

This isn't my first map but it is one of my first maps made way back in 1997. Some doofus reuploaded it for some reason I don't know.

This was interesting. I got a kick out of the theater, your choices of textures were unconventional, but amusing.

baronofheck82 said:

Heheh....noooooo. No you wouldn't either. They're pretty shitty, pardon my French :)

That's why I'm interested, to see how far we've progressed as mappers. And to see how our minds perceived the process early on, the initial ideas that made us want to draw our first sector.

Kill it before it lays eggs!

Not my first map ever, maybe the third or fourth. It's my oldest map still in existence, made sometime in 1997. I've never bothered to fix it up, so it's rife with noobisms and questionable design. Runs on e3m1.

Megalyth said:

Kill it before it lays eggs!

Not my first map ever, maybe the third or fourth. It's my oldest map still in existence, made sometime in 1997. I've never bothered to fix it up, so it's rife with noobisms and questionable design. Runs on e3m1.

Nice one - love the vintage touch. Despite the obvious "flaws" it has that boxy/strange/hints from the original/creative flair going - ace.