Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Are there any good graphics mod for Quake?

I already downloaded the unoffical "Ultimate patch" for the STEAM version so I already have slightly improved graphics and control. However, I was wondering if there are any really good graphics mods that make the game feel more alive. I am talking about things such as 3D models that don't suck.

For lighting and texturing "improvements" (your mileage may vary), there's Dark Places. The installation instructions are written in gibberish, but if you can figure out how to get it working it's probably the best you're going to get. Tenebrae is another option, but the download links on the site have been dead for a while.

Not aware of any re-modelling projects that don't look like shit.

DoomUK said:

For lighting and texturing "improvements" (your mileage may vary), there's Dark Places. The installation instructions are written in gibberish, but if you can figure out how to get it working it's probably the best you're going to get. Tenebrae is another option, but the download links on the site have been dead for a while.

Not aware of any re-modelling projects that don't look like shit.

After doing a bit of searching I found this:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-epsilon-build

Its the most popular Quake mod and appears to be based on that darkplace engine you spoke of. It also doesn't appear to be hard to set up. I have been downloading it for the past hour and its almost finished downloading. I will report on how good it is after I have tried it out.

There is also qrack,it is a source port and it has good graphics too,but also check this site: quakeone.com.
And this site ruohis.com for high-res graphics.
I use both quakeone and ruohis graphic mods in darkplaces and it runs fine for me,so why don't go check'em out?

You can try rygals (Im confident thats not how you spell it) texture mod for dark places. It makes the models look more modern and pretty although you may need a beefy computer to use it well.

hardcore_gamer said:

3D models that don't suck

Come on. Simply get yourself some decent source port and make sure to enable model interpolation. If you didn't know, the vanilla engine animates all stuff at lowly 10fps.