Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Adding more weapons to my mod?

Hey guys, I'm back with another question.

I want to add weapons to my game, but keep the original ones. My plan is to split them into categories. To get any pistol, you need to press 2, shotguns 3, so on. Here's some questions that you may answer or redirect me to another site or thread.

1) How exactly do I add custom weapons? Is there a WAD entry I must make with it's info? Can I have sample info as an example? (Like bullet spread angle, random damage, etc.)

2) How can I add a weapon to a slot? I want an extra shotgun in the 3 slot with the rest of the shotties. Is there a simple line of code?

3) In and out animations. I don't want my guns to simply scroll down, then another one back up. How can I make it look like I'm putting it back?

4) Custom ammunition and a status bar slot. For example, I want to put a nail gun in my game. So, I want it to use nails. So, I wanna make a an additional ammo type. How can I, and how do I add it to my status bar? For example, let's say the bar is 64 x 64, and I want my nails in the top left corner. Do I say the coordinates, which is 0 x 0?

5) Reloading, and animations. I guess I have to tell the engine to do that, and it's specific animation, and the amount and type of ammo it takes away. So, how?

6) How can I make these additional weapons and ammo show up in Doom Builder?

NOTE: Forgot a question.

7) Secondary fire. I want a sniper rifle, which can be scoped. How?

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are a much more reliable source than Google is! :)

The Doomist said:

1) How exactly do I add custom weapons? Is there a WAD entry I must make with it's info? Can I have sample info as an example? (Like bullet spread angle, random damage, etc.)

2) How can I add a weapon to a slot? I want an extra shotgun in the 3 slot with the rest of the shotties. Is there a simple line of code?

The easiest and most convenient way is to use Weapon.SlotNumber and Weapon.SlotPriority on each weapon.

4) Custom ammunition and a status bar slot.

You might want to learn SBARINFO for this. And here you can find a reference to Doom's Status bar, so you can see how it's written.

5) Reloading, and animations.

The GunLab tutorials by WildWeasel could be of help here.

6) How can I make these additional weapons and ammo show up in Doom Builder?

Make sure to give each weapon and ammo actors a DoomEd number. They'll be listed under the "Decorate" category. Now, if you want them to be in their respective categories, i.e. weapons in weapons, and ammo in ammo, then look here.

Blue Shadow said:

Make sure to give each weapon and ammo actors a DoomEd number. They'll be listed under the "Decorate" category. Now, if you want them to be in their respective categories, i.e. weapons in weapons, and ammo in ammo, then look here.

I forgot to mention I use Doom 2 format.

Yeah, the things will only show up if you're using hexen-format or UDMF, though, technically, still can be used; you just need to remember each one's DoomEd number.

The Doomist said:

7) Secondary fire. I want a sniper rifle, which can be scoped. How?

The GunLabs tutorials I linked to above has one about this subject.