Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ferguson

Doom3 BFG on XP

I recently downgraded my system from Win8 back to XP pro, as I hate that OS with every fiber of my being. I have the original Doom 3 installed, but I decided to reinstall BFG to see if ther lost missions were set up like regular mods. {As you probably know, they aren't}. I tried firing up Doom3 BFG on a whim, and lo and behold, it works like a charm. I thought this was a Vista and up deal only? Very odd. I see on Steam there was an update in November, I think, I was wondering if they added in XP support. I did a quick whip around the web, didn't come up with anything.
I'm going to set up a dual boot with XP/Win7 as soon as I feel like buying yet another OS. If anyone wants my Win 8, let me know, bargains are afoot. I would have to charge what it is worth, which is nothing.

BFG always worked fine on XP. It's a 9-year-old game with a couple of extra bells and whistles. Moreover, being an OpenGL game it's not a prerequisite to run it on a particular version of Windows/Direct3D (I dunno how well it would work with an antiquated version of Windows that's older than XP, considering driver support etc., but I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there has had the inclination to get it working).

This is quite interesting, I was going by the system requirements on my DVD box. On it, it says Vista and up, proves what my Dad used to say, "Paper will not refuse ink, doesn't mean it's true."
I thought it was odd that XP supposedly wasn't supported, game being a touch elderly. Figured Bill sent somebody a briefcase of money to lock XP out.

While Doom 3 BFG won't refuse to play on XP outright, the end result might be just that because of video card drivers deficiencies and some features that are simply not implemented on XP, e.g. it will not run on some ATI/AMD cards because of some OpenGL 2.x functions not being implemented in the "latest" vintage drivers, even though the cards are fully capable of them and they DO work on other OSes.

You'd e.g. think that an ATI X1650 should be perfectly capable of playing Doom 3 BFG...yet it doesn't on XP because of the drivers (you will get a ton of cryptic console errors on startup). In other words, it's a crapshoot.