Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Doomkid92 said:

You're fairly new to mapping? These look pretty cool man, definitely above what I used to make in my newbie days. The only thing I would suggest, is replacing the zombiemen on sticks with corpses, or maybe sticking them in the wall so they won't obstruct the path. I personally find things like this to be strategical in a map, but I believe most deathmatchers will complain about them.

In addition to that, avoid doors in deathmatch. They also just get in the way. Nice work otherwise.

I figured that doors, for the most part, will only slow down gameplay, which is why I'm avoiding actual doors in most parts of my maps. Where doors would be appropriate, I put in fake "doors" that are permanently open; in reality, it's just a door-shaped sector with a lowered ceiling to look like an open door. Exits, however, are always behind slow-opening doors.

I've actually been working on a second map since I've gotten to a point where I'm mostly satisfied with the first; it needs a good playtest and some work with weapon balance. However, I have both levels in the same WAD... should I do one WAD per level instead?

Actually, I don't know how to split em. :)

Enzo03 said:

Where doors would be appropriate, I put in fake "doors" that are permanently open; in reality, it's just a door-shaped sector with a lowered ceiling to look like an open door. Exits, however, are always behind slow-opening doors.

This is a really good idea, I've done this in a few of my maps. I feel that doors can occasionally be welcomed, but only if they're placed strategically rather than being a hinderance (map02 of Dwango5 is an example of a map I really like that has doors.)

Sending them both to me in one single WAD is just fine, to get everyone's maps in there I'm going to have to do a lot of fusing of files anyway, so this will probably take out a few seconds of work for me :P

A little something something to whet your whistle.

Looking nice so far MionicDonut, glad to see your work. At the moment there are 16 maps in the pack, with more on the way, and there's a really nice mix of things here. A few of them aren't fully ZD/Odamex compatable yet, but everything still runs, there are just a few texture issues and they will be totally fixed.

In the next few days, i'll be sending the 'very early' beta to all of the contributrs, so we can help eachother with ideas and critiques, to make them all as good as they can be.

Everyone keep it up, the progress here is awesome.

Cool map Omega, this one is sprawling, and seems like the big brother of shockwave1993attack's map, which takes on a similar base style. Nice sparing use of custom textures and Zdoom features, too. Do you want a custom MIDI, or just something with a similar vibe to d_runnin?

Doomkid92 said:

Cool map Omega, this one is sprawling, and seems like the big brother of shockwave1993attack's map, which takes on a similar base style. Nice sparing use of custom textures and Zdoom features, too. Do you want a custom MIDI, or just something with a similar vibe to d_runnin?

Hmm. Will get to that. Won't take long. Have a couple of midis.

Omegalore said:

Did more customizing. The weapon sprites I left the same. I know how to replace but decided to leave them. Also some of the sounds may a little loud.

Good updates, Thanks Omega.

Flamen0d said:

done with the basic layout of my map. and it has (most likely) crappy starting locations and item placements. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u8v1021glav7ytc . Thanks for any advise that helps make the map better.

Okay, all I would say is to remove the big table in the middle, and instead leave it as a more open area for combat. Also, an alternate exit from the stairs might be nice. You don't mind if this gets polished up a bit do you?

mrthejoshmon said:

Donating a quick DM map I made, has a hell theme, enough weapons around for frantic combat:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gw2ptgo26qxx52l

Thanks for the submission! This maps looks fun from just exploring around, and it's nice to get more hell maps in here. So far, there are 3.

Doomkid92 said:

Okay, all I would say is to remove the big table in the middle, and instead leave it as a more open area for combat. Also, an alternate exit from the stairs might be nice. You don't mind if this gets polished up a bit do you?

Fixed the table in the middle. added some benches that act as stairs, or would you rather me just take it out entirely (imo I think it's better with the table, but I still don't know crap about making wads let alone a dm)? I also don't mind if it gets polished, but just don't take away from the feel of the map. Oh yeah, forgot to mention something. I really need help with the item placement.

TheMionicDonut said:

Oh, hey. Do you want exits incorporated in?

Yeah, I think every map should have an exit. I'm really glad you asked this, I'll tell everyone that when the beta is ready and I send it out.

EDIT 3: I've sent the beta out to everyone. Post your responses here so we can all know what you think!

Doomkid92 said:

EDIT 3: I've sent the beta out to everyone. Post your responses here so we can all know what you think!

Quite excellent at that! The exit on MAP01 is blocked somehow. Also, love the maps are some of the arenas of Mario Kart 64.

Yeah, I really like the music for the most part, and the maps look fun too. Though since the friend I play doom with is on vacation right now I can't really test the maps in a DM.

Layout is done. Gratuitous detail and item placement in progress.

So, against my better judgement I started playing with one of these old maps (retaining the structural alterations introduced by Doomkid92) - why the hell did I make these maps so bright!?

Screenshots of early progress:

Before

After

Before

After

Will update as things progress.

http://www.speedyshare.com/4hBYf/NoFun.wad

Map Name: No Fun Zone!
Build Time: 20 hours over about two weeks.
midi: Some DDR song, I dont know.
Rules: NO FUN ALLOWED!

Will probably be doing more cosmetic stuff in the coming updates, but now would be a good time as ever to get some gameplay in, to ensure it is not completely broken.

updates for next update:
diff music - oh gosh ive made a huge mistake
fix one or two sticky decors. (you have to be actively trying to get stuck but still...)
Make BIGBRIK halls less boring.

Let me know what gameplay can be fixed.

On a testing related notes:
1. for the love of the alleged baby jesus, put player one starts in your map!
2. Who the heck signed off on the idea to put monsters in deathmatch maps? And more than half of them to boot!
3. Custom sounds (despite them being used on said monsters). Fine. Family guy sounds? oh lawdy...
4. This is gonna need some serious playtesting. There are certainly some gems in this already but there are some that clearly convey single player mappers first foray into DM...to speak nothing of the monster placement, the maps are very linear; DM maps need to have multiple routes in and out of each room.

More individual map related notes once I get the chance to play them more thoroughly.

I use Dropbox, personally. But there are a lot of options. I noticed that this one doesn't require an account, and is more than large enough for a .WAD file, but I'm no expert on these things.

Then just post the url hyperlink that the website you chose gives you in your message.

Really nice map TMD, This one feels different from the rest in a way, which is a good thing for the sake of freshness. The song is the end of the century by Captain Jack, I remember loving that song when I was going through the DDR phase. :p

One thing I'd suggest Omega, is to worry less about detail and more about making hallways nice and wide. Your maps looks just fine, but the opinions seems to be that your map (as well as shockwave1993attack's map) has too many less-than-128-wide hallways.

As long as your halls are wide enough to zoom through and weave about, they'll be nice. I look back at my Sabbat Martyr maps from ~07/08, and I put waaaay too many skinny hallways in them, and it totally ruined the feel of fast-paced FFA.

nub_hat has suggested we do a public testing/server run of this, and one_Two has already hosted a Zandronum testing server. As TMD said, there are some real gems in here, and every map present (in my opinion) has loads of potential.

Also.. I put monsters in a couple of my maps because it's a weird old tradition, and I'm dumb like that. I always put a random Demon or pesky chaingunner in there somewhere. They're fun to blow away quickly before the round starts, but i'll definitely remove them if that's what everyone wants.

As far a the gib sounds, they're randomized. Another result of blindly following old tradition, if everyone hates them I'll take em out, but I always laugh at those random splatter sounds :)

Looks like you guys have a fairly decent set of mappers! I have some high hopes for this from some of the work I'm seeing here.