Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

So I guess [BE] had their server reboot or whatever because my Choo Choo Cha' Boogie servers are now gone. Oh well.

Why are the random tacky cartoon sounds still here?

Why are there sectors next to chainsaws that make you go boom?

Why are there maps that incorporate keys and narrow hallways?

WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?

(Further critique coming through, this isnt ALL bad)

Captain Toenail said:

Oops, if Odamex supports slopes then I dun goofed removing them all from Aguares's actual.wad...
You may want to disregard that 'fix' I uploaded then.

Me and Aga were talking about it - how difficult was it, and how exactly did you do it? I'll happily do it again and keep the slopes this time around.

Enzo03 said:

So I guess [BE] had their server reboot or whatever because my Choo Choo Cha' Boogie servers are now gone. Oh well.

That's OK Enzo - I'll go sort another one out soon here.

TheMionicDonut said:

Why are the random tacky cartoon sounds still here?

Why are there sectors next to chainsaws that make you go boom?

Why are there maps that incorporate keys and narrow hallways?

WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?

(Further critique coming through, this isnt ALL bad)

1 - They'll be out in the next build. Gibbing someone and hearing those sounds cracks me the hell up, but I'll replace them with more appropriate splatter/gib sounds.
[Seriously, a well placed rocket gibbing 3 at once for some reason triggers my hysteria with these sounds]

2 - Sectors next to chainsaws? I dont think I understand - What map is this on?

3 - Keys are just absurd in DM, but a few people didn't get their updated versions in this time around - All the crappy crap [i.e. my Block Fort map] will be polished up nicely, again, this stuff is early work for most of the contributors. We won't have any 1994-esque right next to modern-and-new, everything will get a nice coat of paint. Every contributor who's still new-ish to mapping has been super cooperative about this, I'm happy to say :)

And don't worry Omega, I'll fix up your map name in the next build too.

Hey everyone, I'm the author of the "SPACEPORT" level. I just want to thank you guys for all the good comments and advise. I really appreciate it very much. A couple of days ago I touched up the minor errors, especially the sector where a deathmatch player is stuck on a tall stack of crates. Someone requested to add another SSG (super shotgun). There are currently 2 SSGs, 1 in a secrete room and the other on top of a tall stack of crates next to a deathmatch player start.

I noticed a couple of complaints that some of the hallways were too narrow. In my fixed version, I widened the majority of them making it feel more roomy. A couple of the sector ceilings are raised too. More explosive barrels are added for fun.

Overall, the layout hasn't changed that much and the detailing is the same. If you are unable to find 3 of the secrete sectors, there is a computer map in one of the rooms which would help you find them all.

I sent my finished fixed level to Doomkid92 (via email) along with a few other levels I finalized. I'm very impressed with all of the levels from the first beta Deathmatch Revival wad. Some could use a bit of improvement, but overall I could tell everyone put a lot of effort into making them.

And here I am loving the cartoon sounds. :)

edit: doomkid92... doomguy93... that's gonna confuse the shit outta me.

To Doomkid92:

Hey man, I think adding more new sounds (ie. gun sounds, player death sounds, explosion sounds, door sounds, etc..) would be awesome.

The Beavis and Butthead cartoon sounds make me laugh ever time. lol

doomguy93 said:

Hey everyone, I'm shockwave1993attack, author of the "SPACEPORT" level. I just want to thank you guys for all the good comments and advise. I really appreciate it very much. A couple of days ago I touched up the minor errors, especially the sector where a deathmatch player is stuck on a tall stack of crates. Someone requested to add another SSG (super shotgun). There are currently 2 SSGs, 1 in a secrete room and the other on top of a tall stack of crates next to a deathmatch player start.

I noticed a couple of complaints that some of the hallways were too narrow. In my fixed version, I widened the majority of them making it feel more roomy. A couple of the sector ceilings are raised too. More explosive barrels are added for fun!

Overall, the layout hasn't changed that much and the detailing is the same. If you are unable to find 3 of the secrete sectors, there is a computer map in one of the rooms which would help you find them all.

I sent my finished fixed level to Doomkid92 (via email) along with a few other levels I finalized. I'm very impressed with all of the levels from the first beta Deathmatch Revival wad. Some could use a bit of improvement, but overall I could tell everyone put a lot of effort into making them.

Good to hear. This is a good looking map but my main worry with that one is how linear it is. That is a big no on DM maps, where maps should be interconnected for the high paced intensity that Doom Deathmatch is intended to be (though that is opinion) What is factual though, is that when there is little to no connection between rooms, and there are strong items (Soulsphere or mega-armor) there will be a lot of controlling of points and lopsided matches.

Your map, however, can remedy this with a few twists in the hallways and the adding of a few more to connect rooms together. Ill give more specific suggestions if you are inclined.

To TheMionicDonut:

By linear, what do you mean by that? I try to keep my levels to an old school 90's deathmatch style. I don't know how many more rooms I can shoehorn into the map. I feel like it would be too much of an overkill and ruin the enjoyment of the level.

I believe he means more along the line of more inter connectivity, not so much more rooms, but more "roomy hallways" connection the main points. (I'm using the old version of your map, but this example might help)

Where A and B are areas that might be nice, simple additions that give the map more flow - This way, there are 2 direct reoutes between the soulsphere and the BFG, which could add for a lot more strategy. Overall I really like this map and I'm glad you're on the forums now, makes communication much easier. :)

Ohh I see that makes more sense. I see your point and I like this idea a lot. I'm going to work on it ASAP. Did you check out the other levels I sent you?

Since I'm new to doom, I'm just wondering, how do you post images to the forum?

I would like to join the project too, i will make a map, or two (maybe) i already posted about it on Zandronum forums, but i found out you guys have your official topic on Doomworld.

Okay, thoughts on all the maps (warning: I'm pretty blunt in places, so apologies to the authours of the maps I'm hard on):

Map 01 DMR01
Solid map, with nice flow. More suited to a small number of players, as there's really only one combat area. There are various misaligned textures, and in general the whole thing could do with more attention paid to texturing. The southerly stairs up to the surrounding platform should perhaps be extended to its left and right sides, so players can hit them at a sharp angle and still go up – at the moment they'll get snagged in the corner. I really dislike phony doors, used in any context. It feels ever so slightly cramped/claustrophobic – perhaps play with the scale and some of the angles of the corridors. I'm not sure about the placement of the corridor to the BFG, since it's so nicely integrated into the rest of the map, players are liable to tear into without really meaning to (at least, I have been) – it maybe a nice idea to make that a regular corridor, and put the BFG somewhere that requires the player to travel a bit more out of their way.

Map 02 Entrymake
One of mine from 96/97, with some alterations from DoomKid92. I agree that it's heavily reminiscent of D5M1 in its present state, esp. with the alterations that have been made. It needs some serious work, which I've been doing – both cosmetic stuff, and fiddling with the layout. One of the main things is to reinstate access to the surrounding outdoor ledge, which opens the map out in an interesting way. It will also look a lot nicer (this was the first map I made, and it shows in the texturing).

Map 03 Rocket Jump
Solid map. The texturing could be a little more exciting. The symmetry makes the teleporting a little confusing – I can't keep track of where I'm traveling from and to – maybe re-texture to make the different corners more visually distinctive. Also, the layout and symmetry really promotes a single game dynamic, so it might be pretty repetitive to play – perhaps extend with some interconnected rooms on the sides, with different individual layouts, to vary things a bit.

Map 04 Block Fort
Hmmm... While it made me smile with the MK64 reference, I don't know how well this will play as a DM map – to be honest, it wasn't that great in MK64 as a battle map – but it's something that should be determined by playtesting. Its gimmicky nature puts me off it though, and it's not going to win any beauty contests.

Map 05 Big Donut
Another of mine from 96/97, the second map I made. I can vouch for it being a fun map, since I played it for hours with school friends back in the day. It was designed as a duel map, and I wanted to make something that allowed players to pull BFG tricks. But since it will now be played by more than two players, the BFG should be much harder to get. Also, as with any 'arena' style map, it doesn't promote much diversity in the gameplay, so if I have the time I might find a way to extend it, and break the symmetry, whilst keeping the present layout intact. No height variation either, so all the actions occurs on one level; yawn.

Map 06 Opposing Forces
This seems fine, if a bit 'meh'. Doesn't seem to have much flow. Quite a lot doors, which don't open quickly enough. I'd recommend using some generalised BOOM line actions to speed them up, and perhaps make them walk-activated, so they break up the playing space, but don't slow things down as players open them. There are a few sets of longish stairs which can only be hit from a single angle, and various pillars that the player can snag themselves on. I'm not sure about the crate area in the north-west – dead end, and cramped boxy angles. Just a personal preference, but I really dislike the use of thing-based obstacles in DM maps – in this case, the tree. Just something else to snag oneself on, and they look kinda crappy. If the idea is to break up the line of sight, and/or promote a certain kind of movement pattern, better to use a sector based obstacle, since the proper dimensions of these are much clearer (unlike with 'things'). Could do with a texturing overhaul and a bit of detailing – kind of bland as it is. More fake doors!

Map 07 Generic UAC base.
Seems solid enough, if a little unexciting – quite similar to other maps in the set insofar as it involves a central 'pit' with a raised corridor running a long the sides. It's one massive HOM in Odamex. It's not the kind of detailing that I like personally, but at least some thought and care has been put into it. It's very rectilinear – all 90 degree angles and rectangular rooms/corridors. Some light pillars that protrude and so present a 'snagging' danger. Why the big metal shield in front of the 'hell' area?

Map 08 Trips and Tracks
Hmmm... Well, I get it, it's a reference to a classic DOOM II map, but it's not obvious to me that it will play very well. The layout is kinda confusing, and it's easy to get lost (perhaps I'm just being stupid though). The rooms are all very similar, so the combat has the potential to be quite samey – I'd imagine the encounters will never last very long, and will tend to be very similar to one another – indeed, my guess is that really the layout only promotes one kind of encounter (esp. since the players will never really be aware of where each other are until they've very close), although I could be wrong. Not much to look at either, although of course that's forgiveable with an 'homage' map like this one, but how many homage maps does this set need?

Map 09 Hellfighter
One more of mine from the 90s. I don't really like the retexturing job – it had been more of tech-basey map (see my post on page 1 for a link to the original), and now it seems very garish with all the red everywhere. I also think it suffers from the removal of the connecting north-easterly passage. If it's going to be for more than two players, the whole thing could do with being inflated a bit, and the corridors widened. Again, I'll try to do this if I have the time, and also retexturing to something a bit easier on the eyes. Those pillars are a nuisance, too.

Map 10 Weapon Research Facility
I like the layout of this one, although perhaps it could be supplemented a bit to make it a slightly more complex/interesting, since it's effectively a variation on the 'central pit + surrounding corridor' theme. Lots of HOMs in Odamex. I'm not sure about all the switches – do they do anything or are they just cosmetic, if the latter, then consider replacing. More doors to nowhere! I really dislike it when mappers use small sectors to try to make it look like parts of the wall have fallen onto the floor – nine times out of ten it just doesn't work – just a personal preference though. But it's odd to do that and then to be slack with the rest of the texturing/detailing – in this case, there are some very large walls which use only one texture, so the on the whole the map looks pretty bland. Oh, and another tree – just a nuisance in DM, much better to make something with sectors.

Map 11 One Two's Map
As has been pointed out, a Grenwar clone, so probably quite fun! Could do with some significant tarting up though – an obvious candidate for the Tango treatment.

Map 12 Entrymake 2
I like the concept of this one, but as it stands I think it could flow better – too many doors/dead ends/narrow corridors + 90 degree angles. Since it's another homage, cosmetics needn't be so much of an issue, although that's no reason not to make it look a little less 94ish.

Map 13 The Crematorium
Hmmm... Don't like this one at all. Horrible layout, with little to no flow. Lots of short, windy, narrow corridors, slow lifts, and slow doors. Little to no thought put into detailing and texturing, but completely gratuitous use of advanced features – deep water (although doesn't really work in Odamex since no coloured light) and conveyor belts – that contribute absolutely nothing to gameplay. I'd recommend scrapping, and inviting the author to contribute something better.

Map 14 Spaceport
Not keen on this one either – the layout is just not suitable for DM. My guess is that it's very early mapping work from the author, and so some of the errors – texture alignment, HOMs, hodge-podge detailing, blocking corpses – are forgiveable, but I just don't know if this map layout can really be salvaged. I would recommend that the author plays a bit more DM, and gets a sense for works and what doesn't in a DM environment, and then takes everything they've learned building this one and applies it to building something new from scratch, rather than trying to improve what they have here.

Map 15 The Algae Well
Meh. Again, I get the impression that the authour is both new to mapping and hasn't actually played a lot of DM. It's cramped and pokey, looks pretty bland, and has details that will just snag the player – lots of trees, and protruding pillars, and the 'fallen ceiling' looks awful, and is directly in the way. I don't think it would be much fun to play. Recommend a significant overhaul, or scrapping.

Map 16 Judgement
I like this one – seems to have potential. Some nice flow on the whole, although the corridors all seem pretty narrow, and occasionally too winding, and so the 90 degree turns are not ideal. However: damaging sectors! As I've stated earlier in this thread, I think this is a big mistake for a fun DM map. Also, there seem to be a lot of opportunities for the player to drop into the water/lava, and then have to wait for an elevator to get them out, which interrupts the gameplay, so things aren't so fast and fluid. Nice solid texturing theme, but could probably be improved. Missing flat in the center of the north-westerly courtyard (in Odamex). For an already small map, there isn't actually much playable space – it's really just the courtyard, the water pit, and the connecting pathways, and all of these are pretty pokey.

Map 17 Comfield.
Worst map of the set. Flat, bland, no proper texturing/detailing. Feels like a layout for bad single player map – I can't see it working at all for DM. The gratuitous use of advanced features, and T667-style 'flat sectoring', whilst paying little or no attention to basic layout and texturing, makes this feel like a troll map. I'm sure the authour meant well, but again, they need to play some DM, get a sense for what works, and learn how to texture a map.

Map 18 Splatter House
This has some potential I think, but at the moment it kinda feels like a part of a map, that hasn't been finished. Again, it's a variation on the central pit + surrounding corridor theme, and there are a few strange design decisions (plasma behind a slow door, and the teleporter-flesh-area – not sure that's contributing much). I don't like the textures that the authour has used, and I think it's hard to use the wood textures in a way that's aesthetically pleasing, but the authour does a competent job establishing a theme, but there's lots of off alignment though (and a dodgy door-track). More work on texturing/detailing would be good, as right now it's all a bit samey and bland. Some of the corridors – such the surrounding ledge – are very very narrow.

Map 19 You're in Hell
I've already commented on this one earlier in the thread. The changes made a big improvement, but I think the layout could still be tweaked a bit. The texturing needs some work – various dodgy alignments. I half think the authour should have another crack at making DM map, since they're still new to mapping, and to improve its better to make more maps, than to spend a lot of time fixing up one, and they probably learned a fair bit about DM mapping making this one.

Map 20 Entrymake 3
I actually like this one more than 2 – it has a nice flow, and there's potential there for a strong layout. A bit cramped in places, but still has potential – I'd be interested to see it developed more. A bit too cramped in places. And the texturing is pretty plain.

Map 21 Alpha Areas
I already commented on this one earlier in the thread. I think it's really unsuitable for a DM map, and feels like the authour's very early mapping efforts (quite a few maps here seem to tick this box, which I think accounts for some of the recurring issues). I won't repeat what I said above – recommend either significant overhaul or scrapping.

Map 22 Skull Crusher
Solid map. Looks like it will be fun. No suggested improvements right now.

Map 23 Deathmatch Prison
Seems like it could be a nice layout, although there are a few tweaks that I'd suggest. It's really bland though – another one for Tango?

Map 24 Hell Halls
Again, seems like it could be nice layout, although probably some room to improve the flow – some corridors could be wider, lifts could be quicker, a few dead ends could be removed, etc. Some very small interconnected rooms, which I'm not so sure about, as it makes it feel pretty cramped in places. I dislike the texturing theme, but that's just a personal preference – the red hurts my eyes – and it's done competently enough.

Map 25 JP DM
I really like this – really interesting layout and theme - no 90 degree angles! - and proper thought put into the use of elevators and height variation. The texturing is solid, but a bit bland, and this is an issue since the map's layout is very complex, and so it's easy to lose oneself since it's all so samey. In general, it should be easy for the player to quickly recognise where they are when they respawn, so that they can return to where they just were to continue the fight – I'm not confident that I could do this very well on this map. I think that perhaps the layout should be simplified slightly (but only slighly) and/or the texturing be rethought, so that different areas are more visually distinct from one another. Still, really nice map – would be very interested to play test.

Map 26 No Fun Zone
Solid map. Looks good, and I think it will play well. No suggested improvements at this stage.
Map 27 Suicide House
Hmmm... Well, I get the joke. But since when did 'oldschool' mean '94ish and crappy looking'? I think that it might actually be quite fun to play, but why intentionally make something that looks crummy? Perhaps I'm just being a curmudgeon though.

Map 28 Total War
Barely playable in Odamex – one massive HOM – so difficult to comment. But seems to be very 94ish in terms of layout, scale, and texturing. I suspect it'll need major work.

Map 29 The Grand Void
I really like the idea behind this one, but I think the layout needs some serious restructuring, to improve the flow, and to make it less likely that players will fall off. Great concept though.

That's it. I kinda ran out of steam towards the end. In general, I think there's some great maps here, and some with real potential, and then there's others that are pretty bad. My impression is that the bad maps are by authours who are either new to mapping, or to DM, or both, and so they shouldn't be discouraged, but at the same time it's best to give honest feedback on these things.

durian said:

Okay, thoughts on all the maps (warning: I'm pretty blunt in places, so apologies to the authours of the maps I'm hard on):

Map 25 JP DM
I really like this – really interesting layout and theme - no 90 degree angles! - and proper thought put into the use of elevators and height variation. The texturing is solid, but a bit bland, and this is an issue since the map's layout is very complex, and so it's easy to lose oneself since it's all so samey. In general, it should be easy for the player to quickly recognise where they are when they respawn, so that they can return to where they just were to continue the fight – I'm not confident that I could do this very well on this map. I think that perhaps the layout should be simplified slightly (but only slighly) and/or the texturing be rethought, so that different areas are more visually distinct from one another. Still, really nice map – would be very interested to play test.

Thanks for the comments Durian. I knew going in that the all grey texturing would get some negative feedback (it's a valid criticism); so I'm trying to add unique details either through lighting or computer related panels to compliment the theme.

joepallai said:

Thanks for the comments Durian. I knew going in that the all grey texturing would get some negative feedback (it's a valid criticism); so I'm trying to add unique details either through lighting or computer related panels to compliment the theme.

You can also jump out the windows and into the scenery area. I suggest you fix that.

To durian:

Yeah I understand the errors I've made in my early stages of the map. I created a final fixed version of spaceport and sent it a few hours ago to doomkid92 via email. It's much better, less linear, more guns in certain places and much wider hallways/ taller ceilings. I think it is now more suitable for deathmatching. I fixed the stuck player start in one of the sectors and placed a SSG right next to it. Players can pass through the 2 hanging corpses without being blocked. Barrels have been added too. I created a new texture too and the patch is in the wad file I sent to doomkid92. The secrete area where a player falls in the pit of nuclear waster has been widened making it easier to walk around.

Even though you probably didn't find it all that great, I still appreciate your input.

doomguy93 said:

To durian:

Yeah I understand the errors I've made in my early stages of the map. I created a final fixed version of spaceport and sent it a few hours ago to doomkid92 via email. It's much better, less linear, more guns in certain places and much wider hallways/ taller ceilings. I think it is now more suitable for deathmatching. I fixed the stuck player start in one of the sectors and placed a SSG right next to it. Players can pass through the 2 hanging corpses without being blocked. Barrels have been added too. I created a new texture too and the patch is in the wad file I sent to doomkid92. The secrete area where a player falls in the pit of nuclear waster has been widened making it easier to walk around.

Even though you probably didn't find it all that great, I still appreciate your input.

Great! That sounds good, and I look forward to checking it out - I can also offer more detailed feedback than I have here - writing a few words on 29 maps takes a while, so forces brevity. And please don't be discouraged by the tone - mapping aint easy (and I'm certainly no expert, I've just played *a lot* of DM) but the more you do it the better you'll get :)

Thanks dude!

I've only been mapping since November of 2011, but I got really good at it during middle to late 2012. Once doomkid92 makes a new beta version, you can fully see for yourself the changes I made in spaceport, and if there is anymore room for improvement, feel free to let me know :)

TheMionicDonut said:

You can also jump out the windows and into the scenery area. I suggest you fix that.

Now that is unexpected! I'll get on that after work.

durian, you're working wonders for this project. I'll be forwarding your post to the guys over at Zanny now too.

TheNooBringeR said:

I would like to join the project too, i will make a map, or two (maybe) i already posted about it on Zandronum forums, but i found out you guys have your official topic on Doomworld.

If you can get it in by May 1st and it passes the stress-test, most certainly :) but I don't think that's enough time, unless your map is already near completion. Also, having a read through durian's comments alongside the current maplist should be a freaking instructional YouTube video. Seriously, these critiques can be applied to many maps I've played in the past, not just ones here. "Everything DM from '94 til now - The do's and dont's of mapping"

But I'm getting a bit sidetracked here - Thanks for the big review!

(There are a few maps that you - and others - think should be scrapped, i.e. the crematorium, but I think I see a few small twists that can fix them up greatly. Something about the map seems unique to me, plus awesome music choice :P Hopefully I'll have the time to implement most of these changes before the next public beta.)

I gotta admit, the latest version of the "Crematorium" is a much better improvement from the first beta version.

thanks for comments, durian!

i've crafted this map with a huge 1994 era dm maps in mind, but if this will not work fine i'll see to fix it (or even better give to my map the Tango treatment?)

I quickly changed a few things in Ogre's 'Crematorium' map, and I really think it brings the map's real potential to life.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ts72qka6boqz36v (warp to 13 to view it)

A copy and paste of my posts at Zandronum:

Open it up in Doom Builder to witness a vanilla mapper's idiotic attempt at a BFG secret in a Hexen format map. I've use the sector tags totally incorrectly, I guess. The lava pit on the far right of the map, I think that switch works well to nab the BFG. But it's [Ogre's] map - I hope to see you fix up my mistakes, and of course change anything you see fit. After this basic layout change, though, I don't see how anyone can say it isn't fit for a deathmatch.

Also, I'm still working on porting Agaures' map from UDMF to Doom in Hexen. Captain Toenail (kindly) ported it to Boom format, but that caused way too many corners to be cut - Every port in focus here has slope and deep water support. It's another WIP - I'll provide a link to the map currently, as it was not included in the beta, but will certainly be in the final product: http://www.mediafire.com/?mfww7t2hs457c4y [it really is a nice map, I just suck ass at dealing with anything that isn't vanilla.]

I have a neat idea for OmegaLore's and shockwave1993attack's maps as well. As previously stated, durian is a lot more skilled than I am, but I think you and him both will like my ideas for your map. If you don't like my changes, just tell me - I won't mind a bit

Anyone online right now want to do some playtesting? :D

I can playtest these levels online later on if you want doomkid92. (I live on the east coast of the united states so the time is currently 3:15 pm EST)