Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Doomkid92 said:

Another new DMR beta is ready, fresh out of the editor!

(I've updated the first post as well with more information.)

Wow this one is really well polished. I would even say that this beta is pretty much good to be finalized. The new signature map was a great idea as well as the new MIDIs. A+ work everybody :)

Your new hanging corpse gore is clipping into the ceiling - might want to check the sprite alignments. If you are looking for more similar gore sprites I have submitted several to the realm667 repository, just in case you are interested.

I'm still not sold on the spindly SpacePort level though, it could really use some restructuring for deathmatch play.

Captain Toenail said:

I'm still not sold on the spindly SpacePort level though, it could really use some restructuring for deathmatch play.

I know it's a bit of a linear map... but just wondering, how should I make the map better and more suitable for deathmatching?

doomguy93 said:

how should I make the map better and more suitable for deathmatching?

I'll work on even more changes soon, and if you don't like the ideas, just let me know and I'll revert the map. I think the area near the exit needs to be turned into a wider room, but it would me re-doing those fancy lighting effects W1D3A55 put in.

EDIT: Oh and, I'm interested in the GothicDM project - once this is finished up, I'll be able to devote more time :)

Captain Toenail said:

Your new hanging corpse gore is clipping into the ceiling - might want to check the sprite alignments. If you are looking for more similar gore sprites I have submitted several to the realm667 repository, just in case you are interested.

I'm glad to hear it Cpt. Toenail, I'd love to replace every hanging corpse sprite with a beaten up marine of some sort - seems suitable for a mapset that's all about slaughtering many many marines, after all!

As far as the one that clips into the roof, I copied the exact coordiantes from the original Doom2 graphic, only to then notice for the first time that the original sprite does that as well. I tried moving the sprites coordinates, but it's still showing up like that in game.. Any ideas?

Btw the credits map has 2 missing textures right by the waterfall

doomguy93 said:

Btw the credits map has 2 missing textures right by the waterfall

I'm glad you pointed it out - oddly enough, this glitch doesnt show in Zdaemon, but it does in Oda and Zanny. Very strange!

Doomkid92 said:

I'm glad you pointed it out - oddly enough, this glitch doesnt show in Zdaemon, but it does in Oda and Zanny. Very strange!

No problem man. Did you check out the link I sent you in your PM?

A few comments from other Doomers! Cybershark over at ZD said:

Gotta say I wasn't overenamoured with most of the maps I checked out. Most of them - the early ones - seemed to be very simple and confined. Made me think more of a 1on1 speedmapping contest really. How many players is this intended for again?
I did like One-Two's Greenwar-esque map though.

Oh, and I noticed that MAP08 had problems displaying the RADIATION texture here and... well, I didn't delve into the BFG dynamic there too deeply, but it's quite bumpable in its box. That's not intended, is it?

and KatZune over at Zandronum said:

Oh man, when i play this, i have a feel... you know, those old days. hey doom kid, if you need any help in a future project you can PM me :) oh and i'll fix fews bugs in my map, i'll edit this and upload it

I'm looking forward to his updates. ("Judgement" is his map, one of my personal favorites)

doomguy93 said:

No problem man. Did you check out the link I sent you in your PM?

I will check it out thouroughly after work! Just making some quick posts before I head out :)

Spread the word around if you guys like. More beta testers means a better final product!

Doomkid92 said:

I will check it out thouroughly after work! Just making some quick posts before I head out :)

Spread the word around if you guys like. More beta testers means a better final product!

Sounds good dude. I haven't noticed any bugs other than the one in the credits map :)

Hey if you guys are interested in some of my other levels, I'm currently in the process of making a mega-wad that is a single player as well as a deathmatch wad. Spaceport and Horto Bellatorem are included in it too as well as a few others that were not incorporated in DMR.

Too make a long story short, I started mapping in 2011/2012 and my maps were really shitty.... So since I learned a few editing techniques from this project, I decided to remaster my piece of crap levels and made them a lot better.

Some new sprites and sounds from various wads made by Doomkid

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5bqf42whirohb5v/DG93_Beta_1.zip

Let me know what you guys think.

Levels in order: Horto Bellatorem
Shootout 2
Gothic
Spaceport
Soccor
UAC_CODE RED

There really is no continuity between these levels, it's just a collection of what I've made.

The gothic level might be a future project for me and Doomkid. You guys can join in on it too if you are interested.

joe-ilya said:

I like the improvements you've made in the level. This level is actually my cup of tea because it kinda feels like a throw back of a really good deathmatching level made during the 90s. Good detailing and use of textures.

The music you're using for Spaceport - can we use that same track for DMR? That's definitely one of my all-time favorite deathmatching tunes.

Those maps are pretty cool man, I look forward to working on some stuff with you. There's some really strange glitches in the OpenGL render in Zandronum, take a look, it's like the arena is having a seizure! I'm not sure what could be causing that.

There's been more work done to DMR too. Just waiting for a few finalized submissions from some of the mappers :) Stay tuned!

Doomkid92 said:

The music you're using for Spaceport - can we use that same track for DMR? That's definitely one of my all-time favorite deathmatching tunes.

Those maps are pretty cool man, I look forward to working on some stuff with you. There's some really strange glitches in the OpenGL render in Zandronum, take a look, it's like the arena is having a seizure! I'm not sure what could be causing that.

Yeah man, by all means you can use it as a track for DMR. It's from Brit10.wad I think. And thanks for the feedback! I do look forward to making more wads with you. I tested this out using various doom engines including Zandronum and I noticed no glitches. I'm not sure why it's spazzing out for you.

I started working on a second beta of this mini project with some touch ups and added a map 07 (which is still in production). There are also some added sounds that I liked from Brit10.wad and dwango5.wad

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8kf27dv8i086zcd/DG93_Beta_2.WAD

Joepallai has sent me a further improved version of Splatter House - The map is looking much prettier and there have been a few additions that seem great for gameplay.

I've been slogging through some of my map errors and such, and enxuring every map has the necessities (P1 start and exit. Seems so simple, but it's time consuming as all hell.

Just a quick bump so you all know we're getting there fast :)

Just a quick question Doomkid... The music from my beta 2 project in spaceport, you said you wanted to use that as a track in DMR, will you be using it to replace the current MIDI that is incorporated in Spaceport "DMR version"? I wouldn't mind at all if you replaced the old MIDI :)

Here is Beta 3 of my mini doom project as of 6/16
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i4yyaibit6t2qt3/DG93_Beta_3.zip

New and improved levels
New sounds, sprites, music from Doomkid

Let me know what you think! (Maps 01- 08) & (1-8 deathmatch players)

joepallai said:

Doomkid...PM sent w/map update

Really nice upgrade to map23, Joe. I think this will be one of the popular maps, it has a fairly unique layout from the rest because of the attention to height variation too. I like it!

doomguy93 said:

Anyone want to test it out my finalized single player/ deathmatch project?

Personally I think these maps are cool - I like the castle in particular, really classy use of Gothic textures. We haven't had the chance to playtest anything yet, I'd really like to when you're online! (Curse my timezone!)

If you make a new thread for Combat Doom, you'll probably get more feedback too :) Have you uploaded it to /idgames yet?

Doomkid92 said:

Personally I think these maps are cool - I like the castle in particular, really classy use of Gothic textures. We haven't had the chance to playtest anything yet, I'd really like to when you're online! (Curse my timezone!)

If you make a new thread for Combat Doom, you'll probably get more feedback too :) Have you uploaded it to /idgames yet?

Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it! I know we are at different time zones which sucks lol Hopefully one day we can play test something on zandronum or odamex :)

By the way, did you notice any glitches in this wad just like from one of my previous beta releases?

Wincarthym said:

I was going to do a map for it, but I instead decided to write a review for this wad.

http://pastebin.com/Sv9qZJ0t

Do take this into consideration.

...yikes

I'll start touching up on my two maps.

Wincarthym said:

I was going to do a map for it, but I instead decided to write a review for this wad.

http://pastebin.com/Sv9qZJ0t

Do take this into consideration.

Certainly, but please specify that it's a review of the DMR Beta, and not the finalized product - People may get the wrong impression.

I appreciate the time and effort taken to write up this detailed review. The 5 secret maps weren't reviewed, but that's cool because they're screts, after all.

I think a lot of these maps are trying something "against conventions". Some succeeded and some failed, depending who you ask. I think there are enough old style maps in there for someone who likes a more traditional DM, though. (That's pretty much what my maps are in there for :P ) Although we know some of them haven't aged well, I'd hate to see a review of some of the Dwango maps - A few of them are way out there, but I like having something a little different in the mix.

A prime example is the review of The Grand Void. Others have hailed it as one of the more creative and interesting maps in the set, and so I'm glad to have an opposing viewpoint. [To clarify though, ~4 hours is not 'no effort' ;) ]

That said, I can agree with a lot of the criticisms given. Spelling "Dwango" as a map was about as creative as spelling "Weed" as a map. ;P Some of the large maps are a bit too large, to the point of getting lost. I can imagine these maps being perfect for 10+ players, though. (Not bots!) Those who like brit10 paced deathmatch may not find them to be their cup of tea, or who knows, some may find the calmer pacing good for their play style. Akin to E1 deathmtach, perhaps.

Above all else - A pretty map does not make a good map, necessarily. I'm pretty happy most of the maps here are a good leap away from "over detailed", I personally can't stand color clashing in my maps and usually people call that 'detail'. It's a very strange phenomenon of modern Doom mapping.

Again, thanks for the time taken to write this all up - It's very appreciated! I hope to hear back from more users soon, more feedback is always better.

Indeed.

See, the problem is, The Grand Void might look nice and seem creative, but when played, it's just terrible. I mean, no offense to the mapper, but it just does not play like a death match map. You can probably craft it into some kind of coop map. Hell, that would actually play a lot better.

It's good to see you didn't go all "u fukin faggit ur reviw is sht" or something of that matter.

Keep in mind the difference between, "E1 Deathmatch", and, "A really fucking big deathmatch map". There's a way you can recreate E1 without making Spaceport. And for Judgement, my biggest issue is the death pits. I don't know if there's a way out, but I couldn't find one. The music is mostly my opinion, and for some maps, I don't know if people just enjoy that really loud and obnoxious bells and screeching but I guess some do. In some cases the music just doesn't fit at all.

The wad is okay but it needs a lot of work. At least you can agree with most of my views. Visuals do not make a map, height elevation is key, flow is important, and don't eat the yellow snow.

These are just my thoughts on some of these levels:

A lot of mappers (including myself) were looking to make highly detailed maps for this wad. However, the gameplay was created to our own style of deathmatching. I personally like moderate paced deathmatch gameplays as opposed to a frantic paced constant shootout. I made spaceport for that reason said. I do realize that the level is a bit big, but it is supposed to have at least 8 players to fill up the map size not 5 bots. Bots don't do things of what a normal player would do in a deathmatch arena. So it's not that much of a surprise that a bot would get stuck in a sector where a normal player would easily get out of.

Now for my other map Horto Bellatorem:

I made this map to the standards of traditional style deathmatching. It's basically a simple small map designed for fast gameplay. The one thing I do agree on is that the best way to win is by picking up the plasma rifle and shooting the hell out of each player. I might rearrange the weapon layout to make it a bit harder to obtain the plasma rifle. The textures are plain just like map 03.

For the most part, I got positive views on horto bellatorem, meanwhile with spaceport I got mixed reviews, some people liked it while others didn't like it.

But hey, everyone has there own preferences when it comes to deathmatching. I do appreciate your opinion and review of the latest beta.