Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Wincarthym said:

I don't know if people just enjoy that really loud and obnoxious bells and screeching but I guess some do.

This made me laugh my ass off, in a good way - which tracks are you referring to specifically? I want to avoid any "ear rape" tunes, but nothing stuck out as too bad to me, though admittedly I haven't paid close attention to the music tracks.

walter confalonieri said:

i think to already asked it, but it's ok if you detail my map....

I think the "1994" thing going on in your map is pretty humorous, I think I may leave it as-is. It's a secret map so it has to have a little gimmick to it :p

Me and other DMR mappers I've spoken to are going to continue to try and improve the set, but at this point it's nearly complete. I think the reception will be at least mostly positive, I've been badly craving a new DM wad with the oldschool feel and I know I'm not the only one, and this delivers just that (At least in my opinion, after a lot of playtesting.)

It's not at all "on standard" with something like UDMX or other great modern DM sets. It's more like one of those mapsets that's trying to recreate the 90's feel, except it's deathmatch - including all the strategic "flaws" that come with that, like tight spaces, crushers, little crate mazes and other oldschool Doom stuff you don't often see in a new set. For some reason, I like having to deal with those environmental factors as well, they seem to add a bit of balance between newer and older players because they're difficult obstacles for all players to deal with.

I'm hoping others will agree :) I believe this will cater to a fairly wide variety of Deathmatchers.

(in related news, new screenshots coming soon!)

Doomkid92 said:

Me and other DMR mappers I've spoken to are going to continue to try and improve the set, but at this point it's nearly complete. I think the reception will be at least mostly positive, I've been badly craving a new DM wad with the oldschool feel and I know I'm not the only one, and this delivers just that (At least in my opinion, after a lot of playtesting.)

It's not at all "on standard" with something like UDMX or other great modern DM sets. It's more like one of those mapsets that's trying to recreate the 90's feel, except it's deathmatch - including all the strategic "flaws" that come with that, like tight spaces, crushers, little crate mazes and other oldschool Doom stuff you don't often see in a new set. For some reason, I like having to deal with those environmental factors as well, they seem to add a bit of balance between newer and older players because they're difficult obstacles for all players to deal with.

There's the problem. You see, These things were left out of more recent deathmatch for a reason. Because people didn't like them. They were annoying, and they gradually moved out of it because it didn't add to the map. And trust me, you don't want 90's deathmatch. You want at least very late 90's and early 00's, because early 90's deathmatch was just awful. I mean, by your logic you should put monsters in these maps too to be truely authentic. Trying not to come off as rude, but trust me, these changes are for the better.

Wincarthym said:

There's the problem. You see, These things were left out of more recent deathmatch for a reason. Because people didn't like them. They were annoying, and they gradually moved out of it because it didn't add to the map. And trust me, you don't want 90's deathmatch. You want at least very late 90's and early 00's, because early 90's deathmatch was just awful. I mean, by your logic you should put monsters in these maps too to be truely authentic. Trying not to come off as rude, but trust me, these changes are for the better.

What port did you play on?

There ARE monsters in some of the maps...

To Doomkid92: Wincarthym and I both agreed that map 02 (shootout) from my Combat Doom.wad would be more appropriate for DMR. It was a decision between map 02 & map 06 and he recommended map 02. Would you mind removing spaceport and substituting shootout in its place?

I apologize if this may be an inconvenience to you.

Hey everyone, I'm going to be out of town from the 26th until July 1st, which may cause delays in this whole tune-up process. However, I feel extending the release date further may be a good idea at this point, although I don't want this to go on forever like some other community projects have. Here's why I think it's a good idea to keep working more on these maps [Note: We will only go through this process if a significant amount of DMR mappers agree. Otherwise, we will make the few finalzing changes and continue forward with a July 4 release. It's up to the mappers!]

Wincarthym said:

I mean, by your logic you should put monsters in these maps too to be truely authentic. Trying not to come off as rude, but trust me, these changes are for the better.

Definitely a fair point, some of these maps are a few minor changes from being much smoother by modern DM standards. If enough of the other mappers think it's worthwhile, I may postpone the release date to really polish up some of these maps, and make even further cutbacks to some other maps that are a bit too basic (I mean really, I spent about 30 minutes tops on 'Donut', it won't be any great loss for it to be cut.)

A wise Doomer once said that a longer development process for a better mapset is always worth it - the further into this project we get, the more I think I agree. Time will tell!

TheMionicDonut said:

There ARE monsters in some of the maps...

I would say this is probably the least of the problems we have with a few of these maps, but this is the kind of thing I'm going to go through and clear out entirely. The more I entertain the idea of truly getting these maps in tip-top shape, the better it seems. It would be a shame for all of this effort to go to waste on maps that aren't well recieved by the few consistent DMers we have left.

doomguy93 said:

To Doomkid92: Wincarthym and I both agreed that map 02 (shootout) from my Combat Doom.wad would be more appropriate for DMR. It was a decision between map 02 & map 06 and he recommended map 02. Would you mind removing spaceport and substituting shootout in its place?

I apologize if this may be an inconvenience to you.

Certainly not! I think this sounds like a great decision.

I'm pretty excited to start on this "true" revision process, though again, this is only if most others are on board. I'm hoping the rest of you will agree that perhaps it's finally time to try and get Tango in on this project - that man knows a sexy Doom map! :)

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

joepallai said:

I'm in favor of the delayed release.

I agree. I'll be sending a PM out to everyone to ask their thoughts as well, but it seems to be the better idea. Thanks Joe!

Hey there, Doomers and DMR participants. I'm sad to announce that due to some fairly serious life changing events - nothing very negative, I'm happy to say - I won't be able to do things like this for quite some time. I will not be able to continue managing the DMR project, and I was hoping to get a few participants to come together and make this project something better than it ever would have been anyway.

I'm sorry to announce this with such little pre-notice, I have got a further improved and developed version of DMR here, with accompanying text file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nt9cannkl7itexc/DMR_Files.rar

I urge the participants to elect new project manager(s) make a new thread for this project, if you wish to do so. The amount of effort that has been put into this, and the potential these maps have would be a very shameful loss. There is a lot of unique and fun material here, that is a certainty.

I wish you all luck with this, A deathmatch version of CChest has always been a goal of mine since I found out about community projects as a wee one. I hope to see it fufilled at some point when my life becomes more well balanced again - And thank you all so much for participating in this. I've had a ton of fun.

:)

This project is also active over at Zandronum: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2344&pid=37798#pid37798

Right, we have come very far with this and the quality of this project is up there, let us NOT waste this high level of potential, are there any volunteers for project leaders? (I can't lead due to legal issues lol)

Were regular deathmatch players ever consulted for their opinions of these maps? Was this ever run in an event that the contributors or project team attended?

This wad has been play tested over a month ago on odamex by participants of this project and creators.

Also people gave reviews on each level too. Wincarthyum is a recent example.

Since no one else has; I will volunteer to take over as management/benevolent dictator. I will post a new thread later tonight with details.

joepallai said:

Since no one else has; I will volunteer to take over as management/benevolent dictator. I will post a new thread later tonight with details.

Awesome! looks like we have found our newest Supreme Leader Joepallai. Whatever you need, I will help you out. Give me the link to the new thread when it is made.

Finally, somebody took the spot (I would have but I can't), good luck joepallai, I am sure you are the right man for the job!

which brings me to questions of how far were we when tradgedy struck?

mrthejoshmon said:

Finally, somebody took the spot (I would have but I can't), good luck joepallai.

which brings me to questions of how far were we when tradgedy struck?

The latest file in which doomkid92 gave us was in a "rar" format and I was unable to figure out how to open it.

mrthejoshmon said:

.rar?
Certain applications like winrar can open it, it is like a .zip but more of a hassle.

Yeah it was a .rar

My apologies for bumping a thread for no particular reason, but I come to see some things have happened to DMR and I am interested in how this will play out. If DMR is released, I will certainly be sure to review it again.

I would've offered to become the manager but i'm terribly busy. I'm developing a few maps myself, as well as a full horror mod, I also have a job and family to deal with. If anyone requires advice or a review I will certainly be willing to help.

Omegalore said:

I decided to quit this since mine was the worst. Besides, I got other projects to do. Sorry.

Which one was yours?

Map17

doomguy93 said:

The latest file in which doomkid92 gave us was in a "rar" format and I was unable to figure out how to open it.

7-Zip does the job nicely.

sorry for the late reply.

thank you for keeping my map in this deathmatch compilation project.

and great work on adding extra's to my map without breaking the idea,
sadly i do not know who did the after edits. i just like them.