Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nightmare imp

Easiest Editor to use?

I have a sudden need to build Doom levels, I tried a couple editors and I cant seem to grasp the concept of how to construct a level.Im having troubles with it, im good in editing graphics and all so I dont need wintex, what Im looking for is a level editor that is easy to use or is simple in use and is for windows!.If anyone knows, please post here and you will be awarded with a huge monster chocolate chip cookie.

Thanks.

WA is the easiest, DeePsea is the most powerful.

Patience friend. Carefully read the documentation that comes with your editor, whatever it may be. DeepSea and Wadauthor have the best help and documentation of all the editors available. Start small, learn the simple, basic things first and go from there. It takes time to learn new software, so it could be a couple weeks before you get past the "dry run" phase of level building and start your first serious attempt to design a real level. Level editing for Doom is not difficult, but it's not trivial either. Just take your time.

Originally posted by bigbadgangsta
Waded is easy as hell.

HAHAHAHAHAAhahaHAHaha waded HAHAhaahAHHAHAROFL

Originally posted by Liam the Bard

HAHAHAHAHAAhahaHAHaha waded HAHAhaahAHHAHAROFL

All I said was that it is easy. Heh.

Ya need to be able to run Dos, real Dos to run Waded. Even then, it's limited and buggy. Although I love the way it works (ie the drawing method) I could never recommend it to someone new to level editing.

Heh, WadEd is the only reason I could figure out level editing in the first place.

But hey, if people can manage Windows and learn it's bugs, they can sure manage WadEd and learn those bugs.

Originally posted by Lüt
Heh, WadEd is the only reason I could figure out level editing in the first place.

But hey, if people can manage Windows and learn it's bugs, they can sure manage WadEd and learn those bugs.

WadEd is buggy as fuck

Originally posted by bigbadgangsta
WadEd is buggy as fuck

Only about as bad as Win9X.

DETH!!! Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Well I find it easy to use :/, but im not a beginner, and I've always used it since I started mapping (DEU -> WinDEU -> DETH/ZETH)

Scuse me for asking but how the Hell do people make maps in DETH? Just making a single goddamn square room is an ordeal.

Well, you insert 4 vertices where you want the corners to be, select them in clockwise order and press shift+insert. This creates the lines. Now select all the lines (order doesnt matter), and press insert to add a new sector th the lines' first free sidedef (in this case, the first)...

Yah, i know this is a bit complicated, but its actually quite good for creating rooms that are a complicated shape... (WadAuthor sucks for making complex maps)

By the way, does anyone know where I can download a copy of Waded 1.42 ? I'm sure 1.83 has more functionality and all that, but I'd like to get back to good ol' 1.42.

WadEd is very stable for me. And I can run it perfectly well in win98se.

I use Deth/Zeth. And it runs fine in my WinME.

I modified some of the Deth's config files to make it EDGE compatible, but i still need a good windows based editor.

Heh I'd say the best windows based editor would have to be winDEU. Sure, its just DEU for windows, but it beats WadAuthor and DeepSea (shareware with its shitty size limit >:( )...

DETH is probably not good for a beginner, but I recommend it anyway since it's the most powerful free editor. If you have the cash to spend and are willing to have a somewhat messy GUI, go for deepsea.
People say WA is good... personally I think it sucks.

Originally posted by Erik
People say WA is good... personally I think it sucks.

You got that right! Well, in wadauthor it is easy to make a square room, but thats about it... :P

Originally posted by SlayeR
(WadAuthor sucks for making complex maps)

Hah!

The only bad thing about WA is that the grid doesn't go any lower than 2x2 pixels.

Im not willing to PAY for an editor with my mapping skills :)
DeepSea is good but those maps i made go always over the shareware size limit.

Originally posted by DooMBoy

By all means, try DeepSea. It'st my editor of choice.

Just out of curiosity, DoomBoy, do you have any released maps yet? I'm just wondering, really.