Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Counter-Strike 1.6 crashes on startup

The title says it all. I already added the .exe to the Data Execution Prevention,(the one in the steamapps folder) so that's out of the question. This also happens with Half-Life sometimes, and with Team Fortress Classic, I once encountered a resolution change, that happens to the others. I don't know what exactly happened. It shouldn't be my specs, because I had C-S on my computer since I got it, and no software changes happened, besides Windows updates. I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, if you must know.

Win7 has funny permissions. Try installing Steam to its own folder. If that's not it, then maybe your video settings have gone screwy.

Steam should take care of the permissions issue itself. (Unfortunately it does this by running a process that gives full write permission for any folder under /Steam.) In fact, you really shouldn't try running Steam games as administrator/compatibility mode. Everything should work without that.

Valve recently updated their GoldSrc stuff, was this a problem before then? I know the DX renderer used to cause crashes, but I think they removed it entirely in the update. Try adding -autoconfig to the game's launch options, see if that helps.

Valve recently updated their GoldSrc stuff

This may be the problem that affects mi computer, but I seen a different problem on my laptop, where the screen minimizes to a green background for a few seconds, then crashes.

Holy crap, people still play 1.6? man I miss those days, kicking asses in de_dust2 and de_nuke...

SFoZ911 said:

Holy crap, people still play 1.6? man I miss those days, kicking asses in de_dust2 and de_nuke...

I was playing it quite a bit last year actually, there's still a large 1.6 community playing. I mostly stuck to one or two servers though, both of which used custom maps. Now I'm back to source as one of the 1.6 servers I frequented essentially got fucked by one of the updates.

Nah, the israeli comuunity dropped dead. they all switched to source iirc. I hate source.

SFoZ911 said:

Huh? CS has been more popular than CSS or CSGO since, uh forever.

This is right now btw.

Prior to TF2 going free and dota 2, CS 1.6 was always #1

Oh that's surprising, well anyway it wont help me much because i'm limited to israeli local servers.