Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The most annoying/worst Quake enemy?

There have been lots of "what is the most annoying Doom enemy" threads, so what about a similar one for Quake?

Personally, I am voting for the Spawn: http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Spawn

EDIT: I change my mind. I forgot about the Hell Spawn from the second mission pack where they took the original spawn and made it even more annoying and stupid for god knows what reason: http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Hell_Spawn

Why it was put into the game I will never know or understand. Its literally one of the main reasons for why I don't like Episode 4 of Quake. Its not cool looking, it doesn't have any cool attacks. Its just a stupid annoying blob that is hard to hit and attempts to throw itself into your face until you die. Oh! And it explodes when it dies killing you if its too close (which it will be 90% of the time since its strategy is to hurl itself at you at high speeds). If you thought the Lost Soul was annoying, then you have seen nothing yet.

What do you consider to be the most poorly designed/worst enemy or enemies in Quake? The expansions count by the way.

Here is a list of them if you don't remember the names:

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake#Enemies

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake_Mission_Pack_1:_Scourge_of_Armagon#Enemies

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake_Mission_Pack_2:_Dissolution_of_Eternity#Enemies

Discuss.

I would have to go with the Spawn or the Fiend. The fiend can be a real big pain in the ass. Open and door and he jumps to eat your face off.

Having played through the game recently, I can safely say the Spawn has got to be the most annoying/worst enemy I've yet encountered in an FPS. They're goddamned bats mixed with kamikazes. They leap/float at you while you helplessly try to shoot and kill them before they get to you, which all too often ends in failure because of their small size... and then there's nothing you can do about it! You shoot them up close and they explode on you, or they just annoy you to death. As far as I can tell, it's virtually impossible to get to a safe distance and deal with them. You have to kill them before they get to you, and since they're so small and hard to shoot (and notice sometimes)... UGH THEY JUST SUCK FUCKING DIE ALREADY! :(

The floating homing mine thing in one of the expansions can be quite annoying when you don't expect it for the first time.

My reaction to Quake spawns is more like fear and respect than frustration, so I don't think they're a bad design. I also never knew the Dissolution spawns multiply! I thought they were mere reskins.

Worst Quake enemy must be the Zombie, because it's tedious to kill. They do minimal damage and often miss, but you must draw the heavy artillery to destroy them, which can be painful in cramped levels. Also, you miss and they fall asleep for many seconds, making you wait.

kristus said:

L2P

Word.

Quake is hardly the most difficult FPS out there. IMO the only potentially challenging enemies are the shamblers, whose lightning bolts are easily avoided by taking cover - which is rarely impossible to do.

That wasn't directed at me was it? I've known how to play Quake for a long time now, but recently when I tried it with the hd pack for the first time I was badly lagging and the floating spiked mine ran into me too quickly for me to stop it once I had noticed it and I died instantly.

When I played the full version of Quake for the first time in 1998, Spawns were indeed a bit tricky to avoid as I was playing with keyboard only.
Today, they're much easier to handle. Avoid their first charge and then they start leaping towards other areas / fall in water or lava etc.

The most annoying enemies imho are some of the new monsters you can find in the various user-made mods. The Axeman is the most notable example, he's very fast and basically forces you to backtrack while shooting him, and once he's dead you can proceed. That's all the gameplay situations this guy offers.
More often than not, since he's so fast and is usually placed just behind doors, you're forced to take a few hits. That's a bit lame, I think.

The Droles ( new monsters that you can find in the Quoth add-on ) also get a mention as their melee range is terribly unbalanced. Once they start running at you, there's just no hope left. :p

Shub-Niggurath was one of the "worst" bosses to me, I was expecting a real fight. Then again, aside from the Barons and the Cyberdemon in Doom, id bosses in general tend to be disappointing imho.

I'd like to vote for Spawn, too, but I like surprises (I don't care about sh17 in pants) like those, so I vote for the Knight (or Death Knight?...). Worst spawn in game - little, ugly, fast, annoying... It always blocks you, it... Makes annoying sounds, has big health and does enough damage... I always hated those damn knights.

Avoozl said:

That wasn't directed at me was it? I've known how to play Quake for a long time now, but recently when I tried it with the hd pack for the first time I was badly lagging and the floating spiked mine ran into me too quickly for me to stop it once I had noticed it and I died instantly.

No, just against the general people making complaints about any and all enemies that pose even the most remote form of threat to the player. Usually people's complaints stems from their own inadequacies as players.

kristus said:

. Usually people's complaints stems from their own inadequacies as players.

So pretty much every game in existence? What a way to dismiss any complaints, even legitimate ones!

Vore.

Spawn if it's Quake 64. Relying on blind luck to put an enemy down is never fun.

I've only gotten up to the 2nd episode and the most annoying enemy so far is the fiend, and the shamblers are just giant white douches

Csonicgo said:

So pretty much every game in existence? What a way to dismiss any complaints, even legitimate ones!

When I find a legitimate complaint, I'll be sure to adress it. But all people ever complain about are things that aren't actually problems with the game, but their personal problems with dealing with a situation or a monster and for some reason. That is then a problem with a game, and not a problem with their playing of the game. Which is what it is supposed to be.

It's these idiotic attitudes that leads to games having all these crutches like regenerating health and what have you because people don't fucking play games these days, they just play interactive movies.

I feel like my brain cells are slowly commiting suicide everytime I read more of your fanboyish manchild stuck in the 90s posting. It's not only that you're consistently wrong in your reasoning - it's that those exact same arguments were used over and over more than a decade ago, and most importantly were debunked again and again, yet you're here, like some kind of temporal anomaly. It's akin to those MMO or PVP players who get crushed for months or years during a game's heyday, then as all the great players move on to greener pastures, these guys start acting like they're the best and have always been. You can't win a fight when there's nobody else to fight anymore, and it should look more ridiculous than aggravating, but it is annoying nonetheless (annoying, not threatening; two very, very different concepts even if there can be some overlap).

Throw in admin status making it impossible to put you on an ignore list, and, yeah. Legitimate enough for you? Probably not, you're probably the kind of person who thinks people should have to read what you have to say, because if they weren't forced to interact with you they probably wouldn't.

kristus said:

When I find a legitimate complaint, I'll be sure to adress it. But all people ever complain about are things that aren't actually problems with the game, but their personal problems with dealing with a situation or a monster and for some reason. That is then a problem with a game, and not a problem with their playing of the game. Which is what it is supposed to be.

It's these idiotic attitudes that leads to games having all these crutches like regenerating health and what have you because people don't fucking play games these days, they just play interactive movies.

The problem with your argument is that it assumes that all challenges are fun and that it isn't possible to make something challenging AND fun.

When a horde of those spawn things show up and start hurling them self's at me is it a challenge? Sure. Is it my fault if the explode into my face before I can kill them? Sure. Does it make it any less fucking annoying? No. Would the game be more fun without them? Yes.

Something being the player's fault doesn't mean he has no reason to hate the makers of the game. Whenever I play a video game that has the player move through some kind of narrow path where he can fall into his death and small annoying enemies try to throw you off is a great example of this. These are challenges, but they aren't FUN challenges.

Annoying gameplay is annoying gameplay, regardless of the player's deaths being his own fault or not.

hardcore_gamer said:

Whenever I play a video game that has the player move through some kind of narrow path where he can fall into his death and small annoying enemies try to throw you off is a great example of this. These are challenges, but they aren't FUN challenges.

Personally, I mourn the loss of this kind of challenge in games, no matter how frustrating it was. I'd take feelings of annoyance from not being able to complete a task over the dumbed-down philosophy behind games these days which requires next to no thought to conquer - particularly prevalent with first person shooters.

Spawn, even if they have applications for speedrunners (see 11:03):