Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

about uploading old wads

When I upload some old wad I found to the archives, is it better to write in the *.txt that I uploaded it or leave it unaltered? I personally think that it's better to leave the files as is but a lot of uploaders (Grazza, perseus, RL, etc) seem to think differently. Why is that?

I like to know who uploaded an old wad. It at least avoids confusing people about how the wad suddenly appeared in the archive.

Mention it in the separate txt (outside the zip) so Ty knows this and can contact you if he has any queries (and doesn't simply reject it due to lack of a valid email address), but leave the files within the zip unaltered unless there is an overwhelming reason to do otherwise.

That gives you the best of all worlds: the unaltered original files in the zip (with original date-stamps), and no one is left in doubt about where it came from.

It's also a simple courtesy to Ty, letting him know that the upload is by someone sensible, and not of the many trollwads that he has to deal with nowadays. It is also useful info for players; for instance, if I see RL is the uploader, I'm pretty confident the wad is worth playing (with very few exceptions); some other uploaders' offerings are more hit-and-miss.

Oh thanks, I didn't realize that the separate txt can be different from the txt inside the zip. And apparently Doomworld database displays the separate txt, as can be seen with Back To Hell that you uploaded recently. That's what made me think that you altered the file.

I keep the original text as-is (most times renaming it AUTHOR.TXT) and add a new one for the archive.