Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

How do you guys cope with mappers block?

I've been mapping for quite a long time now (mostly off more than on though) and I regularly encounter "mappers block" and leave my projects barely finished. I'm just wondering, what do you guys do to overcome this? I do look at other maps a lot and try to imitate the techniques used but I end up giving up. How do you guys get more motivation to map in order to overcome something like this, is it your choice of editor which helps? I would really like to get something released this year instead of just leaving every new project (like I have been doing for the past 3 odd years). Thanks gents, and ladies.

Start another map with a different idea. If you think of something that's unsuitable for one, make another. Then, go back and vice versa, at least for me.

BloodyAcid said:

Start another map with a different idea. If you think of something that's unsuitable for one, make another. Then, go back and vice versa, at least for me.

Sounds similar to what I do but I don't go back and continue with the last one, maybe I'll try that.

I noticed that working on a few maps simultaneously helps a lot. Currently I'm working on four levels and I jump between them every day. It's especially fun since they're all quite different: I have a cramped slaugtermap set in a techbase, a more open nature themed slaughtermap, a classic Requiem\MM2 style castle and a non-linear city map with significant height variation.
Just don't start 30 maps at the same time. :)

I scribble down ideas and layouts on whatever's nearby; it's fast, easy, and (provided that you remember what any marks and other stuff on the layout represents) allows much faster creation once you get back to working than blankly staring at your map in Doom Builder for several minutes at a time (only to close it) will ever allow.

It's not a perfect solution of course, but it can help.

Start Doom Builder 2 in visual mode and fly through my half-finished map, and again and again and again. Eventually something comes to mind. If not, then since I have a weak will, I give up easy.

Slightly off topic (only slightly), but I really enjoyed mapping for Switcheroom project - mappers block didn't arrive because if I didn't know what, I just copied what was in the original id map and retextured. If the project gets a sequel (we were already discussing it - switching Doom2/TNT/Plutonia themes), I'll be in and I would recommend participating in that project to all of you who suffer from mappers block.

BaronOfStuff said:

I scribble down ideas and layouts on whatever's nearby; it's fast, easy, and (provided that you remember what any marks and other stuff on the layout represents) allows much faster creation once you get back to working than blankly staring at your map in Doom Builder for several minutes at a time (only to close it) will ever allow.

It's not a perfect solution of course, but it can help.

Hmm, I've heard of planning on paper before but never really thought about doing it. I might try this, @scifista, interesting idea I can see that helping in a way as when you go through the map you can sort of imagine a new area/detail to be implemented into a certain spot.

I usually plot my maps on paper and try to visualize bare basic layout and rooms. If I don't draw it on paper first I usually get blocked.