Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

How to make switch in middle of room work?

I've seen this a lot in DOOM maps, and I swear that when I used to map in DOOM mode that I never had an issue creating one, but now for some reason I can't get it to work.

I've included an example to show you my non-working switch. Can someone please tell me what exactly it is that I'm doing wrong here?

(Note: ignore switches on walls, that was for another problem I've worked out.)

Thanks in advance!

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/slB2w5yUln/customswitch.zip

Try flipping it (in Doom Builder 1.68 this is done by selecting the linedef and pressing "F"). You can press switches only from the front side, at least in classic ports.

Uhh... (imgur)

I tried to open your map in the latest DB2 and GZDB, Doom format, and I got the above. :/

EDIT: oh, it's Doom 2.
EDIT2: no, that's not it. And ZDoom Doom-in-Doom Format doesn't help. Anyway, hopefully Memfis' suggestion solved you problem. Sorry I couldn't help, dude.

Memfis said:

Try flipping it (in Doom Builder 1.68 this is done by selecting the linedef and pressing "F"). You can press switches only from the front side, at least in classic ports.

WOW, so that's all there was to it. Thanks! :)

schwerpunk said:

Uhh... (imgur)

I tried to open your map in [...] Doom format, and I got the above. :/

[...] And [...] Doom Format doesn't help.

Because it's Hexen format, as indicated by the helpful presence of a BEHAVIOR lump.

As a general reminder, the terms "Doom format" and "Hexen" format are strictly about the technical format used to represent various map elements, such as linedefs and things. It is entirely disconnected from the game. For example, Heretic and Strife both are in Doom format despite not being Doom; and a "Doom-in-Hexen format" map does not mean one needs to use the Hexen IWAD to play it.

(The issue is confused since some people use format differently, using terms such as "Boom format" or "Heretic format" as if they were different. The differences, however, are only in how they behave in the engine, a linetype that exists in Boom may have a different effect in Heretic and none at all in vanilla Doom. But as far as a map reader/writer is concerned, it's the same format regardless, because the data is formatted in the same way.)

For further reading, look LINEDEFS, THINGS, and map format.

schwerpunk said:

Uhh... (imgur)

I tried to open your map in the latest DB2 and GZDB, Doom format, and I got the above. :/

EDIT: oh, it's Doom 2.
EDIT2: no, that's not it. And ZDoom Doom-in-Doom Format doesn't help. Anyway, hopefully Memfis' suggestion solved you problem. Sorry I couldn't help, dude.

Ya man, sorry about that, I'll have to remember to post what format my WADs are in next time.