Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

What SoundFonts do you use?

Actually I ask this because I stumbled across a certain Doom remix by PRIMEVAL thought for ages it was real audio then found out it was a MIDI with some insane quality soundfont. This shocked me so much I've started scouring the internet for different soundfonts Also since I've started creating MIDIs recently, I'd be interested to hear what SF2s are used by other Doomworlders.

Personally I use WeedsGM. There isn't a lot wrong with it. Today I downloaded the 200MB Giant Soundfont. The drums are good on it but there are a lot of issues, most irritatingly the reverb on the guitar.

esselfortium said (on ZDoom.org):
when testing Back to Saturn X's soundtrack with WeedsGM3, I couldn't find a single midi that didn't get ruined by it.

I can't say I agree. Admittedly I've not heard the majority of the BTSX soundtrack properly, but Untilted, Waiting and Phobophobe both sound just fine to me on WeedsGM3. It's an improvement on Microsoft GS at least. The only problems I've found with WeedsGM thus far are that the Gunshot voice has a slight delay which throws it out of time on some CC4 tracks, and the Timpani doesn't make any noise at extremely low pitches, which makes Blood's "Fate of the Damned" sound comparatively bad. Each to their own though, of course.

Anyone know of a free "sound font" or "sound bank" or whatever that works in modplug tracker.
Right now I use the default which is some folder called:
GM.DLS
and is the worst cheesiest bunch of sounds ever.

Eris Falling said:

and the Timpani doesn't make any noise at extremely low pitches, which makes Blood's "Fate of the Damned" sound comparatively bad.

I have a huge problem with instrument sets that don't extend notes past the natural instrument's range. Does a conventional guitar play below E3? Hell no, but I'm going to use those notes because they sound awesome. People have been using impossible notes in MIDI songs since time immemorial, and quite effectively.

gggmork said:

Anyone know of a free "sound font" or "sound bank" or whatever that works in modplug tracker.
Right now I use the default which is some folder called:
GM.DLS
and is the worst cheesiest bunch of sounds ever.

I have a collection of soundfont packs on my other laptop that I converted to Downloadable Sound format for Fruity LSD. I'll see if they work for Modplug as well.

Bucket said:

I have a huge problem with instrument sets that don't extend notes past the natural instrument's range. Does a conventional guitar play below E3? Hell no, but I'm going to use those notes because they sound awesome. People have been using impossible notes in MIDI songs since time immemorial, and quite effectively.

Cygnus IV and The Talosian Incident comes to mind. Talos' Software has a track that got utterly ruined when run through my soundcard's synth, but when played in FMod, a loud buzzing sound is heard throughout the song, effectively simulating the sound of machinery quite well. though my soundcard plays some tracks of Talos quite well (the level after you destroy the reactor-core being a notable example), and it's interesting to hear the difference of some of Cygnus IV's tracks in FMod and my card.

Stygian said:

SGM v2.01

One of my favorites.

I use a number of soundfonts, but for my more "professional" sound, I use some Soundfonts that I bought from SONiVOX like the Les Paul Guitar and the 24mb Wave Table.

Whatever comes with Windows's MIDI nowadays, or with the .MOD I'm listening to.

Mostly CT8MGM.SF2 from one of my Soundblaster install CDs, though I might try the SC-55 soundfont and see if my tired old ears can pick them apart.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I've been using this SC-55 soundfont

Sounds p good

fraggle said:

Well, I uploaded this to idgames a couple of weeks ago. But usually it's eawpats.

Will you add a GUS emulator to ChocoDoom?

Been using Musical Box and CGM3. CGM3 worked wonders with BTSX. However, I've been experimenting with VST plugins into Midis as each of those soundfonts have their faults (More irratatingly, some instruments' volume goes down on their own for random reason). Been rendering them to OGGs so they loop in Zdoom.

Recent examples. Vocaroo doesn't like to produce the full sound quality for some reason.

Interception MAP25
BTSX MAP01

Both soundfonts mentioned above are worth checking out. Just be sure to use a software synthesizer that can handle it (BASSMIDI for example).

Dragonsbrethren said:

I've been using this SC-55 soundfont...

Wow! This sounds really good! On some midis, it still sounds way different than it should (and not at all in a good way) but it's darn close on some midis.

I use Roland Sound Canvas, which is the only soundfont I've used that both sounds good and works for all the midis I've tried it with. WeedsGM3 and SGM both have a higher quality sound level, but they also screw up on many midis that sound fine on Roland.