Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

I'm burning some of Tango TV's episodes to CDs so I can listen to them in my car while driving. It's nice to have tangible copies of these. But many of them are over 80 minutes long and can't be burned to CDs, unless of course I want to split them in two CDs. I happened to have exactly enough blank CD-Rs for the episodes I haven't listened to yet but now it turns out I need a few extra.

Praise be, it's a new Program B episode!

Myself and host regulars Tarnsman and MTrop are joined by 40oz for a discussion on Doom 3 and 4. In addition to talking about our (dis)likes of the 2004 title, we dedicate a lot of the discussion toward harping about classic vs. modern design philosophies in the gaming industry, and the expectations we hold for id's upcoming title and how realistic they may be.

Batman and airbags also feature.

>> Download << [79mb]

Next fortnight will be a discussion on speedmapping! As an added bonus, we'll be expecting all of those featured on the show to create a single 100 minute speedmap over the course of the episode. The maps will be streamed immediately following the broadcast and linked right here in the thread. We'll also ask you, the greater listening public, to decide which of the maps plays best of all (hint: it'll be mine. It won't even be worth checking)!

Drop me a line if you want to appear on the show. That's 22:00 EDT on Saturday the 8th!

40oz said:

I'm burning some of Tango TV's episodes to CDs so I can listen to them in my car while driving. It's nice to have tangible copies of these. But many of them are over 80 minutes long and can't be burned to CDs, unless of course I want to split them in two CDs. I happened to have exactly enough blank CD-Rs for the episodes I haven't listened to yet but now it turns out I need a few extra.

If your car's cd player plays mp3s, burn the disc as a data disc. You'll get a few episodes on each CD that way.

Yeah I read about that, but I don't know what my CD player will do. I actually used Audacity for a couple of episodes that were just 10 minutes or so over the 80 minute mark. I sped it up by 10% or 15% and lowered the pith a little so that they talk a little faster and can fit on one disc.

Can we please make the next TANGO TV episode about The Dreaded "S" Word?

Word has just arrived that joepallai and Jimmy will be the special guests to feature alongside MTrop and Tarnsman for the hotly anticipated speedmapping bonanza on the 8th of June. That's 5 100 minute speedmaps of highly questionable quality coming at you in the dueness of course. Get psyched!

Can you manage to get hold of some old timers like Anders Johnsen, Erik Alm, the Casalis, Yonatan Donner, Haggay Niv, Malcolm Sailor or something? Wouldnt that be awesome =)

I wouldn't think that would be too impossible. Tango TV has improved a lot since it started, and has been getting increasingly interesting and more fun to listen to. I think the ball is starting to roll as far as getting special guests to appear and topics to talk about. If these guys are reachable, I'm sure they'd be open to it after some more episodes roll out to show that st.alfonzo is serious about this, and that this isn't something that has a rise and fall over the span of a couple months.

I think that would be super cool. It might help to extend the publicity a little further by highlighting some of the better episodes by uploading them to youtube or something. Like for example, I could cut apart some videos of recorded demos of the wads being talked about in the discussion to be relevant to what they're talking about. There was an episode entirely about community projects that that would be easy to do.

TTV's premiere review program returns for its 3rd episode, where Tarnsman and I disembowel (that's Doom for "dissect") several mapsets in Coffee Break, Fava Beans and Double Impact.

>> Download << [33mb]

Remember to check back for the latest TTV-pb episode that's coming up on the 8th, in which Tarnsman, MTrop, Jimmy, joepallai and the uncontested champion of speedmapping (so named because he's never attempted it before) talk about mapping against the clock as they compete to be the best. Which map will reign supreme? Which ones will lay scuffled in a twisted heap of failed layouts and linedefs? You decide!

That's at 22:00 EST, Saturday the 8th of June!

Cool, good review there.
Just to back up my complaints on Double Impact's E1M8, was more to do with wanting some more rockets/plasma to making disposing the cybers at the end a little less frustrating. The other reason was the baron crusher failing many times in most ports causing the player to be trapped within the central arena.

cannonball said:

Just to back up my complaints on Double Impact's E1M8, was more to do with wanting some more rockets/plasma to making disposing the cybers at the end a little less frustrating.

you're not supposed to be able to dispose of them, not easily at the least, so that's whining about water being wet. i can understand the concept of escaping monsters without killing them might not fit well with many players though, it's quite frustrating and dickish. which, again, is on purpose.

The other reason was the baron crusher failing many times in most ports causing the player to be trapped within the central arena.

mmm... while the mechanism is a bit too convoluted, perhaps unnecessary and may fail on rare occassion, it was well established most people got stuck because of their own wrong port settings. this is a doom wad, not a plug&play printer. when i see "Game : Ultimate DOOM", i just use complevel 3 automatically.

I'm pretty sure there actually is a way to make the crusher trigger work reliably, using one of the other crusher specials (a floor raise crusher will do it, if I recall correctly?). If it can be easily fixed, it'd probably be worth updating the wad for, given how many people have run into trouble with it.

If your wad needs a particular complevel - or has only been tested at a particular complevel - it's a really good idea to include that fact in your text file.

Capellan said:

If your wad needs a particular complevel - or has only been tested at a particular complevel - it's a really good idea to include that fact in your text file.

well, afaik dbimpact was tested in zdoom, vanilla and prboom+ behaving like vanilla. testing with complevel -1 is impossible for obvious reasons and testing with 2 or 4 doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Something like half the people playing DI in the DWMC thread experienced issues with the level. This would suggest that DI's listed testers were a pretty homogenous lot in terms of comp settings, and that there are a lot wider set of ports complevels used 'in the wild'. Had the text file been more specific about the successfully tested ports and complevels, there would be no issue. It was not.

If a text file just says "advanced port required", with no other information, it should not be a surprise if people are hacked off when they use an advanced port and it doesn't work, and the fault lies with the text file, not the players who accepted the statement it made.

Had the text file been more specific about ports/settings tested, I would have no complaints.

Good day, all. I'm pleased to announce that we have an impending interview on the 16th of June with mapping legend and veteran Adam Windsor!... who happens to have posted just above me, heh. I'll be joined by Matt Tropiano as we talk about his history with the game, his mapping career, and a whole mess of other madness. Feel free to shoot me some questions via PM to be read out on the cast.

To those of you who've sent in some questions for the superbly delayed (but nonetheless inevitable) interview with NaturalTvventy: remain calm. There's no need to resort to violence. I have them stashed away for safekeeping until the man reappears.

Good greetings, everyone! Today on Tango TV we bring you a special feature-length episode for your viewing pleasure -- a TTV Speedmapping Extravaganza! Tarnsman, Alfonzo, MTrop, joepallai and Rottking sit down to compose a single speedmap each within a 100 minute time limit. Jimmy was unfortunately unable to join us due to Perth falling silently into a wormhole and reappearing many hours into the future.

The episode proved highly popular for those watching, and so we anticipate a possible series of these videos to emerge as TTV evolves, either replacing certain episodes of Program B or functioning as its own, standalone series of videos.

>> Extravaganza! << (Twitch.tv link)

We'll be posting these episodes as Twitch.tv videos instead of podcasts, as with Tarnsman mapping vigorously on-screen and the sheer determination shown by those participating to finish their maps on time... it rather detracts from the sort of meaningful discussion we might expect out of a typical Program B episode. For the most part. An audio-only format, we think you'll agree, would make for an uninvolving listen.

Here are the maps, in all their glory:

>> Download << (Map pack, 98kb)

accident.wad - Alfonzo (Doom2 map01)
jpsp13.wad - Joe Pallai (Doom2 map01)
programb.wad - Matt Tropiano (Doom e1m1)
rottspeed01.wad - Rottking (TNT map01)
Tarns-speed.wad - Tarnsman (Plutonia map01)
Enjoy!

EDIT: I feel obliged to point out that both accident.wad and programb.wad are the first speedmapping efforts by their respective authors, and that Tarnsman is an unholy machine unfit for humankind.

Episode 9 of Program B will be on the topic of genres and labels, where we'll be looking to discuss what we mean by terms like "slaughterfest," "sandbox" and so forth. We'll also delve into the potential problems with labels, and how they may harm or benefit a mapset. Sideshow Pavera (his actual title, we've been informed) will star alongside Tarnsman and myself as we tackle this interesting topic.

Please send in your suggestions as to which terms you'd like us to discuss or, since it's customary here at Tango TV to have four people feature, spin me a PM to take part. You can also send me a PM detailing some of your thoughts on the topic.
22:00 EST remains the time, and 22nd the date!

Also keep an ear out for the interview with Capellan, which is still slated for the 16th.

An interview with Capellan marks Tango TV's 12th foray into the world of idtech 1 stardom. Join me and Matt Tropiano as we sit down for a lengthy discussion with one of the Dooming greats -- Adam Windsor! In addition to talking about both his development with the game and his likes and dislikes in design, Adam reveals much of the big differences between modern and old trends in the community, in particular the ways in which projects evolve or are managed.

Thanks to the folks who sent in questions for the show (even if one of them was the second most prevalent figure on TTV)!

>> Download << [62 mb]

In the dueness of course comes one Joe Pallai, though a date has yet to be set. As always you can spin me some questions and I'll have them voiced on the program when the time comes.

Episode 9 of Doomworld's favourite* talkback podcast show is now in a state of existence. Genres and labels is the discussion for this fortnight, and Sideshow Pavera is the esteemed guest of honor! Join us as we talk about the definitions behind some of Doom's more prominent terms in design and designation, such as "linearity", "sandbox", and "abstract design".

If this episode seems a bit harder to follow than most, it's because my kettle was broken that day and I had to resort to boiling water over the stove to get a decent cup of tea, severely hampering my life schedule and causing me to lose focus.
Really though; be sure to post some of your feedback if you think there are areas that need working on, either in format or oratory.

>> Download << [74 mb]

You stay classy, San Doomworld.

*We surreptitiously administered large doses of debilitating drugs to the Doomworld membership with the explicit aim of evening the odds. TTV gained the majority vote with 51.8%, and Doomworld forgot all about it the following day. All true.

I still don't understand what a sandbox is. Also, listening to this after the fact, that discussion on linearity is hilariously pedantic. Boy are we geeks. :P

Fun time, though!

Now I have a good internet connection, I can actually start listening to some of these interviews. I have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. Picked out Capellan at random, great stuff guys :)

Finally got around to listening to these with the latest one. It goes very well in the background while mapping. Doesn't distract (for the most part) and I can still pay enough attention to both things. Although the content itself was pretty funny, consisting either of repeatedly stating really obvious things, trying to decide on completely pointless stuff, or just stating personal preferences. It's fun to listen to but not very much food for thought, I wonder if I just stumbled upon the "unfortunate" (using the term loosely, it doesn't harm it) topic or if all the past episodes were like this.

Was a bit giddy when you dudes brought my post up - the one about "point a" stuff. I feel it was a bit misremembered because Tarnsman's main pick - me mentioning map28 as an example of a journey-type map, which I agree wasn't the best thought-out thing - isn't really true since I only said that "it could also be viewed as such", which means it's not the most concrete example at all. I'm not gonna elaborate on that topic anymore because I feel like that discussion is too subjective, and everyone's done with it anyways. Although I could probably write posts and posts about how this and that feels and why.

I'm not sure if I got this out of this thing or out of one of the streams, but I really appreciate how Alfonzo often tries to back up a point of view that he doesn't necessarily share and to find justifications for it, instead of dismissing it as "just wrong". Funnily enough, in doing that he many a time accidentally says precisely what I would've said if I was there, which is always a great relief because not being able to butt in with my own explanation or opinion can be frustrating :D

Oh yes, st. alfonzo's boundless research and Doom philosiphy versus Tarnsman's experiences from actively playing, mapping, and enjoying Doom creates a great dynamic between the two. I couldn't have picked better spokespeople for the show myself if I tried!

To addon to the music analogies, I like to consider doom maps into subgenres of one single thing, like I like punk music, but within punk music there's hardcore punk, street punk, ska-punk, crack rock steady, noise, d-beat, crust punk, crust grind, grindcore, etc.

To the average person, pretty much all of those genres can be considered punk or grindcore or metal or just loud noises, but if you're familiar enough with it, the subgenres are very discernible. And with doom, if you haven't had a lot of experience playing it, pretty much everything can be classified as straight Doom maps, and it takes a lot of experience, study, and research into these maps to categorize them into their own things.

BTW there's a comments section on doomradio.org that oughta get used more often :)

July gets off to a cracking start with Doomworld's Joe Pallai, who joins Tango TV in their state of the art studio for an extended look at his mapping career, preferences in design, and more! If you're wondering about the art of map sketching, or perhaps about the development process behind Plutonia 2 following its inception, then look no further!

On second thoughts just download it anyway. That or wait for it on doomradio.org]doomradio.org.

>> Download << [54 mb]

...And the TTV truck keeps on rolling! Where's All The Data? episode 4 is on a collision course with this coming weekend, as well as your scheduled Program B, which this week is all about project leadership and management. I know it's all a little bit overwhelming, but trust us and stick with it -- it's all good for you, you know!

NOTE: The interview with Joe makes reference to some sketches of his maps that we had the pleasure of being shown. They'll be up here in the thread once we can track down the link again.

Here are the two images I sent during the interview, plus a third unseen mapsketch to give another example.

The Hellcore Map06 level I was working on (currently being reworked into Ashdream.wad)

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The Plutonia inspired map sketch:

something Episode 4ish that I should use in my upcoming episode(note to self).

The interview was a lot of fun (minus the epic 1024 slaughtermap speedmap challenge) and I just realized how much I swear...wow

Tango TV will never get a swear jar because I will fill it up in like 2 seconds.

Here's a quick inquiry for those who listen to these podcasts on a regular basis: how many of you wait for the show to crop up on doomradio.org? We're taking a look at the download ratings and while they're pretty low for the most part we're banking on the fact that most will find it more senisble to stream them over at the site.