Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

Hello and welcome to 2018 aka not another barren wilderness of Doom Radio/TangoTV content as we embark for the umpteenth time on a mission to improve the frequency of everyone's favorite double-barreled podcast. I didn't surgically replace my face with a microphone for the looks, you know. Together we're going to make this thing work!

Interview with Impie

This interview with author/level designer Mike "@Impie" MacDee explores the creative process from a different perspective. Impie's Winter Agent Juno tie-in series of WADs, including Project Einherjar and Midgard Outlaw, is a rare example of cross-platform world-building with Doom at its center. It allows for a fascinating insight into how an understanding of level design can help empower the development of a seemingly unrelated practice. We talk about managing creative commitments, the importance of limitation in making good games, the indie game movement, Heretic and Hacx (and how neither are much good), Matthew Costello, the repeat ignorance displayed by game and film studios, the death of the splatterhouse genre, the marketing skills required of self-publishing writers, similarities between the structuring of good levels and good stories; all complimented by someone with a remarkable breadth of knowledge in film, books and video games (no, really—his name-dropping game is off the charts).

Impie is a multi-talented artist who's perhaps best known as the creator of Strange Aeons, an advanced megawad for Doom 2. An illustrator and self-published writer of fiction, he is among the most prolific and imaginative (and obsessive!) members of the community. Suit up and sit down for this 90-minute podcast!

Links:

Impie's website / Project Einherjar / Midgard Outlaw / Operation Bodycount

YAY, a new episode! Thank you for conducting this interview, I missed these quite a lot.

Doom Radio is a platform that continues to explore the developments behind Doom’s community and to understand the creative minds of its greatest contributors. For most of its history it has done this in discussion with people who have a lengthy and storied history with the game. What, however, might we be able to learn from someone who is not only new to Doom but who attempts a more academic unearthing of its development and significance? Are there things that we can learn about this 24-year-old game that we aren’t positioned to discover from within, but which others are from without? Is there something that Doom can teach the world of video games, even, in the creation of “metagaming” phenomenon like speedrunning and modding?

Interview with Patrick LeMieux & Amber Graham

In this episode, Linguica talks to Assistant Professor of Cinema and Digital Media Patrick LeMieux from the University of California, Davis, about his 2017 Doom experiment. Joining them is Amber Graham, a computer science major and student in Patrick’s program. You can find links to their projects below, along with the Doom Is An Art Scene video by jmickle66666666, which was shown in the introduction to the course.

At the risk of lessening the impact for all future episodes and announcements, this is a must listen. Also, stay tuned for the interview with Obsidian, which has been waiting patiently in the wings despite the delay!

Patrick LeMieux’s website / Amber Graham’s itch.io profile / jmickle’s video

So, I'm going over some of the recent episodes as part of a general assessment for improving sound quality, and it occurs to me how irritating mouth clicks are. Mine, specifically. Yech! Maybe it's not all that off-putting for you folks but it's starting to do my head in now that I've noticed it. Some of the more advanced equipment that's arriving should help alleviate a few of the problems, but most of this can probably be dealt with in post-production (and with lots of glasses of water). I'll see what I can do.

Now would also be an excellent time to take advantage of my vulnerable state by hurling suggestions and criticisms.

Interview with Obsidian

Doomworld has an impressive history of developing lateral-thinking level designers, and if the current era of fast mapping and mimicry doesn’t strike you as remarkable in its ability to do the same then consider the works of @Obsidian, master manipulator of engine quirks and gimmickry. In today’s episode, Sid talks about his relationship with the game, project scope, hard versus self-imposed limitations, Heretic, the rise and fall (and rise) of A.S.S., the cleverness of preying upon players’ familiarity, horror, Maskim Xul, and the creeping acceptance of maps that cannot be beaten by their creators(!).

Obsidian is one of the Doom community’s chief DeHackEd proponents, the founder and (occasional) leader of the ongoing Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions, and author of various works including Countdown to Extinction and Into The Code. His most recent work—the behemoth duo of maps in Maskim Xul—is available now on the forums.

Warning: contains evil laughter in a New Zealand accent.

Links:
Maskim XulAbyssal Speedmapping

Edited by Alfonzo

16 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Warning: contains evil laughter in a New Zealand accent.

If you listen closely you can hear an example of said laughing right now!

Massive props to Alfonzo for having me on: it was a damn good time and an honour to take part in. :)

Great interview, a lot of fun to listen to!

(rofl @ end music, didn't expect that)

Yes, I should start listing the tracks used to close out interviews (and probably other cast episodes in future). Skeleton Waltz is easily among my favorite Eris MIDIs, and it sounds playful and devilish much in the same way that some of Obsidian's maps play and feel. A little tongue-in-cheek; a little bit panto.

2 hours ago, Obsidian said:

it was a damn good time

And a damn fine Sheev Wheejin'

Ha, I guess that's why MrZzul finished UV Max/Reality on Sunder Map05 because of this special relationship.

While I appreciate the clear skill that is required to complete slaughter maps and I enjoy watching videos of others play them, personally, I don't usually enjoy playing slaughter maps. Admittedly, I do like some of the "entry-level" slaughter maps, but as you go up the "scale" of slaughter maps, the less I tend to enjoy playing them.

All of that being said, I am looking forward to listening to this and reading NIH's interview.

EDIT:

I finished listening to and reading the interviews and I enjoyed them. I thought they were engaging and informative. It's too bad NIH couldn't make it; I would've enjoyed listening to her expound on the intricacies of slaughter-mapping, in addition to Benjogami's and Zzul's thoughts.

Also, I did not realize that one of the purposes of Slaughtermax was to try to attract new players and mappers to the genre--I thought it was intended more for people who were already into either making or playing slaughtermaps.

Edited by Pegleg

The sound quality (which was never bad,) seems better, fuller and smoother somehow.

Excellent, I just thought about these shows the other day and forgot to check for a new release. Now I have something to listen to in some downtime.

Oh, I have never heard of this Doom Radio. And the downloads even work nicely for me. I'll listen to all this stuff now. Well, or later. Will take some times. Lots of podcasts. Thanks!

Doom Radio is pretty cool. I came across it randomly one day and listened to the Linguica interview. It was pretty interesting hearing about certain subjects, even slightly personal ones such as how he came up with his name and how to actually pronounce it haha!

Thanks for the radio! Just found it out and listened first one. Good stuff!