[Doom Radio] Interview with Impie

Intermission – E2M4: The Longest Yard

Hot damn, our eschatological friends have been churning out the goods like there's no tomorrow! No time to sit and ponder about future episodes, then; here's Terminus and company with a sneaky Intermission podcast. Apologies for failing to pin up the third episode earlier this month.

On E2M4, I nearly kill myself editing a podcast that went over two hours of recording. I’m not writing up a summary after that.

1 person likes this

Intermission – E2M5: TNT 2: Dynamite

For all we know, the real sequel to The New Technology has been missing in action for long enough that an energized squad of enthusiasts has started stirring in the wings. They propose to make a follow-up to the divisive IWAD installment with all-new textures and music (the first of its kind — never before proposed!), headed by some of the brightest level designer stars in the Doomdom. Oh, that project already exists? Eight years in development and going strong, is it? Well why didn't you play so!

During this podcast I attempted to multitask by playing games at the same time. However, it turns out I am not suitably brained.

On E2M5, we discuss my stiffy for verticality in level design, marketing a retro FPS, playing Doom on your phone, what’s popular on Zandronum, dew’s status as a heretic, Dead or Alive, wet dreams, the importance of Minecraft modders, the going price for the Blood IP, how many actors the engine can handle at once, the confirmation of BTSX E3, the Spiderdemon, the identifying marks of a Kinsie mod, how a shitposter is born, intergenerational modding, international mapping, smacking people with newspapers, shittalking, and F-List OCs.

3 people like this

On 7/6/2017 at 7:56 AM, joepallai said:

You're slipping Alfonzo

[ham]Why not slip into this?!:[/ham]

Interview with Altazimuth

This episode’s hour-plus interview features a different breed of nerd in Max “Altazimuth” Waine, who is the latest member of Team Eternity and one of its chief contributors. Attempting to bridge The Chasm between my knowledge in this area and source port enlightenment is an easy task for Altaz, who has a natural way with words, but all the same; this is very much a conversation for the uninformed. In addition to talk about the Eternity Engine’s goals and how they relate to neighboring ports we discuss the accessibility of programming, innovation, Patreon, promoting the engine, the relationship between developers and their player base, the significance of mods versus level design, and more!

If you’re an out-an-out techie, this may be too ‘entryway’ a podcast. The rest of you laymen can prepare for a cool insight into the mind of one of Doomworld’s brightest talents for engine development.

4 people like this

Intermission – E2M7: Delayed by Pixels

Terminus calls it a late upload; I call it Timed to Perfection. Let terror reign.

In the very late E2M7, we talk about what it takes to be an American, gangsta style shooting, female protagonists as a selling point, roguelike mechanics, Minecraft’s status as a retro FPS, the status of Half Life 3, making Doom modding history, the gap between Zandronum and GZDoom, happiness being mandatory, egg on my face as I talk about developing High Noon Drifter after it’s been released, Wartorn’s favorite retro FPS Persona 3, Cage’s favorite retro FPS Chrono Trigger, Pillowblaster’s favorite retro FPS Borderlands, and banging Nazis.

I was looking for the LittleTemple thread! Thanks Ling!

On 8/2/2017 at 11:59 PM, Linguica said:

Do you happen to still have a copy of the video? Or the extended edition? Or the making-of documentary? I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine those things, but it's been a long time now since I saw them.

No, and no one else has them either if they know what's good for them. 

2 people like this

For the last years, I pronounced the nickname as "Linguika". Please don't punish me because of this.

oh shit what have i done

6 hours ago, fraggle said:

Do you happen to still have a copy of the video?

Oh lordy, you hope there are tapes..?

Re the thumbs up/down thing, and I'm sure there must be 10x counter examples but on ETS where there's an anti-like called "face palm" it works surprisingly well. People don't write flame replies if they can hit the button instead, and unlike flame replies it doesn't encourage further posts. It's used surprisingly infrequently and people genuinely change their behaviour to avoid being face palmed.

If enough of my posts got face palmed it wouldn't make me "change my behavior". It would just make me quit. Do you really want a small community of people gain that power instead of letting the moderators handle that?

Linguica facepalmed this

5 people like this

Haha, classic Linquica humor. Thanks for that. :)

2 people like this

Like I said, it works for ETS which I think is a similarly sized if perhaps differently constituted community. But there are probably many counter examples.

The problem is that a "facepalm" is nothing more than a downvote with a flame attached to it. It literally means "this is so idiotic I had to slap my forehead." Given that Doomworld already have some factions that like to make passive aggressive stabs at each other I don't think it would be a good idea.

There are already people who passive aggressively use the "like" to respond to every single comment critical of them, so there is zero reason to believe a "dislike" would ever be used responsibly.

4 people like this

5 hours ago, Jon said:

People don't write flame replies if they can hit the button instead, and unlike flame replies it doesn't encourage further posts.

I'm having a hard time seeing the fun in that.

1 person likes this

what did you use to make that transcript thing, Linguica?

Intermission – E2M8: The Tower of Babble

It's still August, and that means that with the release of a new podcast we have successfully managed to avoid both embarrassment and tradition; indeed, a tradition of embarrassment. There's another episode/interview waiting in the wings, too, so don't abandon all hope, ye who listen here! Here's the last episode of this season of Intermission, featuring guests MTrop and I.

On E2M8, we talk about different kinds of beer to drink, MTrop’s creepypasta trauma, our process for awarding Cacos based purely upon spite, what’s killing Zandronum, Kinsie’s fantasies, how Dusk’s success can benefit us, Strife mods, finishing projects, gameplay mods with feature bloat, dimsims, Heretic’s texture limits, the Great Bay Temple, little known facts about Doom and Heretic, female characters in mods, special shout-outs to Slax and Captain J, self-produced rule-34, and assholes.

P.S. Essential reading.

I'm so glad you guys mentioned the Chasm source port. I've been waiting for one for years!

Ahh Heretic talk! @Not Jabba they mention the wayfafer :D

1 hour ago, Impie said:

I'm so glad you guys mentioned the Chasm source port. I've been waiting for one for years!

Yeah i too wanted one for over a year.

1 person likes this