Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

Guys I always listen to Doom Radio podcasts and with much enthusiasm I have been waiting for this particular talk since the reveal but could you PLEASE stop interrupting eachother? It's rather annoying.

DooM_RO said:

Guys I always listen to Doom Radio podcasts and with much pleasure I have been waiting for this particular talk since the reveal but could you PLEASE stop interrupting eachother? It's rather annoying.

It's rather difficult over Skype, haha. I remember recording videos with a guy on YT a few months back and I recall doing it an awful lot during recording. It's kind of difficult to receive any sort of cues to start speaking without seeing the other person, at a guess.

Difficult indeed, and the discussion was pretty ad hoc because most of us were banded together at the last minute. I literally called in from my cell phone. It would definitely be at lot easier to have a continuous discussion without everyone talking all over each other if we were sitting in the same room to do this.

Listened to it last night, you guys had some pretty interesting things to say. Don't worry too much about talking over each other, there's always death match. :)

The year is 2015, and for the host regulars of Doom Radio... war.

From far across the waters of the Columbia River Delta comes the sound of beating drums and the Program B theme tune (not a very good warsong, I admit). Spears are sharpened and polished; arbalests wound back and loaded with sticks and harsh language. Such are the production values of Doom Radio. Words have never been this heartfelt and dangerous. Only one question remains... what the hell are they fighting for?

Deleting your works, unfinished or otherwise. Creative license or unbridled stupidity? One side says yes, it's a-okay! The other says: "Alfonzo, you're a bloody idiot."

Tune in to this twitch channel at 12AM UTC on the 4th of July to hear these weirdos duke it out and for your chance to decide who takes home the chocolates.

Just so you guys know, you may get to bear witness to The Angry Jimmy, a rare phenomenon that requires an obscene amount of rustling to conjure. Certainly Fonz has succeeded in accomplishing just that, and so this Doom Radio may be one that actually ends in raised voices and furniture being thrown.

Not but seriously Alfonzo pisses me off with his flagrant and uncontrollable deleting of stuff (GOOD stuff!), so much that I may very well get heated in this debate.

Alfonzo said:

Tune in to this twitch channel at 12AM UTC on the 4th of July to hear these weirdos duke it out and for your chance to decide who takes home the chocolates.

Which Twitch channel? You seem to have deleted most everything from that one !!

Cool! Uh, what's this about?

Also, save the broadcast so if can watch from my phone afterwards please.

esselfortium said:

Which Twitch channel? You seem to have deleted most everything from that one !!

Twitch introduced a lot of changes in the past few months, and they also now delete past broadcasts, doesn't matter if they contain copyrighted material or not.

Fun times

IMX said:

Twitch introduced a lot of changes in the past few months, and they also now delete past broadcasts, doesn't matter if they contain copyrighted material or not.

Fun times

Except what actually happened here was that Alfonzo voluntarily deleted every one of those broadcasts except four, as he announced on his Scythe 2 stream a couple of days ago. That's what this is about!!

In other related news, he's going down.

The most recent Tango TV interview is with a veteran of the Doom community, James Haley, more often known as Quasar. Join us as we discuss a veritable cornucopia of topics, including:

>> Listen <<

Note: This interview was recorded in March of 2015, so apologies if any information seems slightly outdated.

I listened to the whole thing, good stuff. I was surprised to hear the Justin Fisher thing.

I'm enjoying this, I just got past the part where my name was mentioned. It's always weird to hear your name read out...

Linguica said:

I listened to the whole thing, good stuff. I was surprised to hear the Justin Fisher thing.

That'd be because it's actually wrong; afterward I went back through my old stuff and it was actually Jeremy Wagner (aka "Lich"), who while not as big a name as Justin Fisher, did contribute to a fairly big project called DOOM 32, which was well-known at the time. He seems to have a large number of wads in /idgames also, but with average ratings.

I tried to listen to it... but not even the most interesting thing on the planet could get me to suffer trough those recordings.

That was a really great interview. Well worth the time it took to listen to it. A very informative listen too, also very amusing to listen to and take into account what has happened in the past few months since it was recorded. Brilliant job!

I was looking forward to this. Will there be a Maes interview too? :)

FireFish said:

I tried to listen to it... but not even the most interesting thing on the planet could get me to suffer trough those recordings.

I would like to point out that this was posted in a sleep depraved condition. This is not a personal attack, it was a direct expression of a personal opinion...

The audio quality just struck me as really low and very unpleasant, while i am in fact used to listening to a lot worse.

It is a great thing that people spend time on their hobby with enough passion to interview and record their fan based existence.

FireFish said:

I would like to point out that this was posted in a sleep depraved condition. This is not a personal attack, it was a direct expression of a personal opinion...

The audio quality just struck me as really low and very unpleasant, while i am in fact used to listening to a lot worse.

It is a great thing that people spend time on their hobby with enough passion to interview and record their fan based existence.

We could have a kickstarter to buy Bloodshedder pro audio equipment :P Not sure he'd want to lug it around all over the country with him though heheh.

Well, there is background noise but the voices are very clear.

*** WARNING: The thread you are replying to is more than three months old. ***

Welcome back. Some announcements:

Doom Radio is about to go through a bit of a change. It won't be too drastic, and the project will still rely on my not being lazy to happen with any sort of regularity, but with a couple of extra co-hosts on board and a less regimented categorizing of podcasts, we're hoping that this new approach will allow us to finally gather some momentum in a series that in some ways has never gotten off first base. In short, all podcasts will feature as Interviews and Doom Radio, simply. Gigs like Program B, WAD, KDitC and Post-Mordeth are now defunct, with their content and discussion now being featured as part of the mainstay 'Doom Radio' series, which we aim to make a flexible program lasting one hour and constitutes the majority of podcasts with dedicated segments that can be swapped in or out depending on what's needed. These segments include:

• News articles
  • Reviews of big-name releases and /newstuff content
  • Debates
  • Soapbox (quality rants)
  • Project development (Post-Mordeth)
  • General discussion pertaining to any of the above
Along with the new format will come some much-needed framing of content and an improvement in sound quality, albeit mostly because I'm no longer the dunce responsible for editing. We will also be looking to bring as many new voices into the fold as part of the regular series to keep things fresh. If you have even a half-decent microphone and a desire to get in on the act, then please do drop me a PM or make a post in this thread, and we'll see if we can't fit you in for the following episode.

God willing, this Doom Radio series will be conducted once every 2 weeks. If there aren't enough people available to make for a more complete listening experience then either myself or whoever's available will go ahead solo, anyway. It's the regularity that's important!

The first episode is scheduled to be recorded on January 30th.

...And with all that talk of upheaval out of the way, here's a completely unrelated recording for your listening pleasure!

2015 was another good year for our favourite FPS, playing host to tons of cool new releases, most of which (we hope!) were covered or otherwise mentioned in the 22nd Annual Cacowards. As a follow-up to the 2013 year-in-review, in which Doom Radio stitched together a 2 hour special covering the ins and outs of the selection process, plus extras, we decided to do the same again, taking extra care to be even more self-congratulatory on a job well done.

2015 Cacowards Retrospective

Sitting down to pick apart the selections and generally big ourselves up are co-hosts Tarnsman and dew, who as many will recognise is the chief writer for the multiplayer section of the Cacowards. Highlights of discussion for this episode include:

• What got snubbed?
  • Inner conflict and the lifetime achievement award
  • How many is too many for the runners-up awards?
  • Running down the Top Ten
  • The real meaning of Mordeth
  • The future of the cacowards; answering community-issued suggestions
Like good ol' Obsidian up there, you too can take part in Doom Radio. Read the above post for information on upcoming changes to the show, and PM me if you have any inquiries or want to arrange for an interview. Also, feel free to leave comments over at the site! We need to at least pretend we're popular.

I listened to the latest show during a run today, and it was pretty good, although also more subdued than I was expecting. I guess there wasn't much in the way of drama or snubs this year. Even the Monti mapset talk was pretty low-key. I had a bunch of stuff that I wanted to mention that basically all slipped my mind, except for this:

Perhaps it would make sense to reframe the lifetime achievement award and name it after Ty, focusing it on the larger contribution to the Doom community, and have the Espi focus on a lifetime award for mapping / content creation

With any lifetime achievement award / hall of fame type scenario it's always disappointing when the awarding body doesn't get around to handing out an award until it's too late, and I think that's a pretty likely outcome given how long the actual list would / should be for Doom.

It also makes sense from a "purpose of the cacowards" type view, because to the individual cacowards are about new content, maps in particular, and a lifetime cacoward feels like it should be about an individual's contributions of content. I have no issue with Fraggle as the recipient based on how the award has been handed out, but I don't associate him with content creation.

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing, plz do them more often.

7hm said:

It also makes sense from a "purpose of the cacowards" type view, because to the individual cacowards are about new content, maps in particular, and a lifetime cacoward feels like it should be about an individual's contributions of content. I have no issue with Fraggle as the recipient based on how the award has been handed out, but I don't associate him with content creation.

I have long thought that the Cacowards kind of unfairly ignore people who contribute to the Doom community in ways outside the narrow boundaries of WAD-making. That was a major reason that I contacted them and suggested fraggle for the espi award.

Linguica said:

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing, plz do them more often.

I will second this, as I just finished listening to the whole thing while working on a project and it was quite entertaining to have alongside the work. Good job all of you!